9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2002, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

Jamo,

Thanks for the compliment, yes there is dirt up here, it just must be the filter on my camera that makes it look like there isn't any . The inner panel should look like yours, since I got it from Butler/GS (it's painted). When I got the car that was part of the 40% that hadn't been done (missing).

When are you going to make it to breakfast up here at Athens? It would be nice to have another A/B/B/GS car up here.

see ya,
Mike 'monster'
Old 07-15-2002, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

You mean another "significantly setback one"?? Soon-I promise.

Here's a shot of mine from the other direction...
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2002, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler '65 AC Cobra original replica, replica Ford SBC Engine
Not Ranked     
Talking

Hey guys,
Just picked-up my Butler and it is better than expected (power, handling, comfort, and looks). I had done much research on Cobra replicas, and when this one came on the market, i couldn't pass it up. It has the Chevy 350 set-up and with the torque that little guy has it is a blast.

JAMO, you mention that yours is #5, where would i find something identifying the Butler/Arntz serial #?

Thanks

Last edited by 65 Blur; 09-10-2002 at 03:17 PM..
Old 09-10-2002, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

The Arntz serial number was stamped on the frame on the outside of the rail just in front of the left front wheel. My frame was number 6 but it is really hard to find since I painted the frame. You have the same setup I have and it is suprisingly quick. My friend here at work just built up a $6,000 LT4 engine for his C4 Corvette. during a recent "test", I pulled him about two car lengths in a quarter mile.

Life is good!
Paul
Old 09-10-2002, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: 65Blur

65Blur,
congrats on the Butler purchase. I help work on and occassionally drive my friends Butler. It's an interesting car in many ways. The more we work on it and drive it, the more we like the suttle differences it has to offer over other cars - starting with the chassis, profile, and more. My friend was a little bummed at first about the Chevy 350 setup in his car, now he thinks it's the greatest thing after understanding the performance possibilities, and parts availability for this setup. The mild 350 is getting removed and he is now building a 406 small-block Chevy stroker for it now that will beat the pants off of my last FE Cobra. The car handles great even with some regular BF Goodrich Radial TAs on it. One thing is for sure, my next FE Cobra will not be able to touch him in the twistie back roads. Good choice, have fun!
Duane
Old 09-10-2002, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

65 Blur,
I started this thread July 14 (I think) when my research narrowed to SPFs and Butlers. I'm now where you were probably a year ago. I have decided on a Butler and am fork-loading money towards completing my purchase. Should be mine and back on the East Coast in a few months! I'm trying to get almost exactly the same appearence as yours---sans hood scoop, maybe with a little more "brightwork". I'm coming out to California this week on business---AND I'm trying to get a rather prominent Butler owner to come and meet me in Monterey---where I'll be staying at something called the Beach Re$ort on Tuesday and Wednesday (9/17-18). I have assembled a compendium of articles on Butlers, Ron Butler and Cobra replicas---which I've sent to Ron Butler and two Butler owners. I'd be happy to assemble one for you, especially if you'd make contact. I couldn't get your e-mail address and, since I'll be flying out Thursday morning 9/12), I won't be receiving e-mail after to-morrow. If you want, call me at The Beach Resort (831) 394-3321.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Fred
If I wasn't working my butt off, I'd be there waiting...

Gotta come to Fresno--Bony's far away in the land of Wilf! It's safe.

Jamo
Old 09-11-2002, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"It's safe"! Ar-ar-ar-! For Count Hindenberg, you mean! Ar-ar-ar! Nonetheless, I don't think we can make a huge side-trip...what with the munchkin, etc. Still a faint possibility--maybe half-way for each party.... However----you will be pleased with the stuff I sent youse! There are some extra goodies in the package, one of which will ASSure you of friendly relatgions w/ your dentist! Another should be posted on this site and/or in your orifice..oops, office! I'll call when we get feet-dry.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA535 with 427FE s.o.& toploader
Send a message via AIM to bonyhadi Send a message via Yahoo to bonyhadi
Not Ranked     

Old 09-15-2002, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Fred

Got the binder--great articles re Arntz, Butler and Cobra Real vs. Replicas road tests. The "extras" will be cherished. Many many thanks--really appreciate them.

Let's see--you're traveling up the coast today from Southern Cal, so you probably won't see this until you get back home. Hopefully, we got together.

Thanks again Fred.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jamo, me lad,

Sorry about missed connections. We dug up three sets of old friends located all up and down the coast plus drove the Big Sur road TWICE. Met with Jim Weathersford and Jerry Goddard. GREAT guys! Went to House of Cobras, took a ride in an SPF w/ one of Dean Woodward's "Stage 4" 418 cu. in. strokers in it---Jay-susss! Spent a couple of hours at McCluskey's (whew..the number of ORIGINAL aluminum cobras there was staggering!), Ron Shaver's (another "whew"!), RB Himself's (where I got a three-day engineering and driving tutorial) the Peterson Museum, etc. etc. Never got in contact with the Monterey Butler owner, saw the Aquarium (too many $ to get in and then too many Jellyfish!), etc. etc. including the San Diego Zoo and staying the Del! As soon as I get the myriad pictures back, I'll post a few.

Great time, great state!

I'll catch up to you in Fresno next time.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Fred

Just to show you how funny life is, I'm in Salinas (down the road from Monterey) for several days this week working an election we just got called into. Figures. Hurry with the pics--it always intrigues me to see California thru visitor's eyes.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '73 Jensen Healey Mk.I #13046
Not Ranked     

Fred;

I glad we had time together my friend I really enjoyed it. Sorry I missed you on Saturday, the asthma season is here and I was down for the count! I hope the picture of you and me turned out OK, it clearly proves we were seporated at birth. No bout a doubt it! LOL
Old 09-24-2002, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, Jerry 'n' Jim,

I am not normally one to post what amount to personal messages on this board---but I'm too lazy at the moment to fish up all your e-addresses and replicate the following.

1. Pictures comin' up--after: a) I remortgage to get them back from the developer! and b) review Brent's instructions on how to post'em!

2. This trip would have been almost worthless without Jerry Goddard's hosting and guiding us around to the above-mentioned cobra and engine builders. ANY cobra owners/wannabes who are not native to SoCal should look up Jerry and Jim (and Ron).

3. Jim---you're a kind and gracious man---and I screwed up on the trip to Petersen's visit. Max (the 22-month-old Turbo) was pretty much travel-stressed out. By the time I'd gotten directions from Jerry Goddard, stabilized Max and his Mom---we were on the way into the Museum itself. As to photos of the "Twins"---it could be Christmas-card material! Next time.

4. Ron, you, too, are a great (remote-control) host. I really enjoyed our telecons. After I recounted your descriptions of them, Julie (my neice) was eager to see the REAL Redwoods/etc. in your area and points eastward. Butt time didn't allow it. We ended up going from the 'Del to San Simeon, Monterey and every point in between.

Here's an assignment, counselor---if you're in the vicinity of Estero Park in Monterey (during your Salinas trip) there is a boat-yard right back from the beach, perhaps off of Del Monte Ave, in the Fisherman's Wharf area. The reason I'm interested is there is a 65-foot, 1930s-era Commuter-yacht sittting there. It might be a Consolidated and just might be "Miss Asia". You'd like to look at it anyway, since it's a rare and exotic breed of transportation. Some of these big commuters could break through 34 knots---as a displacement hull! That's sort of violating the old formulae for "hull speed". That area of Monterey would be a cool place to take a lunch. We didn't have time (and you may not either), but I'd be interested.

To allayuz---the 100th anniversary of my cottage ("Ledgemere") in Five Islands, Maine is next August (2003). Get out here! No excuses! Outdoor shower! Toaster pot (ach!)! hysterically-funny natives (who think WE "talk funny")! Whales, seals, GW sharks, lobsta boat races! Acura-ad-brought-to-life! Boat-rides of all varieties. Jim, Ron and me in the Rub-a-Dub (Jerry filming at a safe distance!) Excrutiatingly-beautiful scenery! Open Bar! Filets-mignon cooked in fire-place! Episodic dipsomania! La Tourette's at the wood-splitting pile! No prisoners! Gitcherasses out here!

Chow and thanks,
Old 09-25-2002, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Bennett, FE with lots of shinny parts that make it go fast
Not Ranked     

Fred,
When you post those pictures of your trip, I hope you update your gallery with a few of your car as well. I'm looking forward to seeing a right coaster in fact ...............

hey Jamo, I haven't even seen your left coaster Butler (except pictures) when are you going to make it to a BACC breakfast on Sat? Also, how the lawyer'n going are you going to make Snakes to the Lake?

BTW: I like posting to this thread just to keep it near the top, it's nice to hear from fellow Arntz/Butler owners every now and then.

take care,
Mike "monster"

Last edited by Monster; 09-25-2002 at 12:09 AM..
Old 09-25-2002, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike "Monster",
It ain't my car yet....but it will be when it's done. I can post pictures of OTHER cars, such as the array I saw at House of Cobras and the incredible McClusky collection. All of the Butlers I will post are those belonging to others (or mine as a "pre-roller").

Earlier, I posted the fact that there are TWO Butlers wh/ frequent my area on the 'Cape! Strange but true. I was INITIALLY entranced by Butlers and have the early-70's brochures as proof of that fact. THEN I was told that Ron Butler wasn't making any more. THEN I fell under the SPF spell...and then....finally located an incomplete Butler---so it's back to square one. Ron B., Jerry Driscoll, as owners were very helpful during my Left-coast visit last week, as was the inimitable Jim Weathersford. I wanted to contact you AND "65 Blur"...but that didn't pan out. Next time...hopefully in early spring---when I'm out for a shakedown....
Old 09-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Mike
Lo siento--ain't gonna make the Lake run. Tried like crazy...

Breakfast soon...

Fred
Flat tore up Hwy 1 from Hearst Castle to Carmel (if you took that route) yesterday morning in the Audi. Very little traffic, fog rolling in--insane speeds, but all wheel drive just digs in. Oh my...
Old 09-25-2002, 11:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fred, did I miss something? Your profile reads like your buying anSPF but your post on this thread sounds like your have a Butler finished?

Jamo- To bad you can't make it to the lake well there's next year. I'd come out your way but I'm staying where it's cool until I find the source of my temp issue.

Later,
Mike 'monster"
Old 12-28-2002, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler '65 AC Cobra original replica, replica Ford SBC Engine
Not Ranked     
Question MGB Suspension

Hey guys,
I have the MGB stock front suspension, and was wondering what are my options for upgrading to the coil-overs? I see that it was an option with Butler, but what can be done now?

The stock unit has the dampener unit that serves as the shock, and from some info I picked-up from some MGB guys, I filled it with 90w gear oil to stiffen it up. It still rubs the tires when doing hard cornering, but is better.

Fred, how is your aquisition from Ron going?

Thanks,

Roy (65 blur)
Old 12-30-2002, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roy,
Quite fine! Almost there. I decided to hold partially (or temporarily) on getting the Butler from Butler---but I AM buying it as a "bare roller"--This way I'll have a complete and functional Butler (Ron's) and a "project car" upon which two expert mechanics (one race-car one F-16 {oops? maybe bad?}) to do our own build.
Now--about that MG upgrade, what is the frame-number on your Black Beauty?---I have a feeling that Ron Barsamian's will have the same set-up as yours. If that is the case, I'll either have Ron Butler upgrade it (he has a few modified MG ones with coil-overs hanging around) or I can get a George Petrus' AMP XK-2500unit. It's really spiffy and appears on p. 19 (ad) and p. 44-46 (article on IRS) in Curt Scott's "The Complete Guide to Cobra Replicas". George's is address is: George Petrus, Accurate Machine Products, 20417 Earl Street, TORRANCE, CA 90503 (310) 370-4075. If you call him, speak clearly---he's a Czech national. He's also a brilliant "from parts" engineer. If your car and Ron's have the same front suspension, I'm going to very interested in upgrade choices.
I also have been trying to reach you! I went out to California this last September and had a ball. I can't recall if I was trying to reach you prior to that trip---but I'm coming out again in mid-January. Shoot me an e-mail or call (508) 564-4297. I would really lilke to see your car and discuss the suspension. Check out Mike Follick's on my Gallery---you'll be lookin' in a mirror!

Get in touch!