10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-30-2002, 11:40 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I was always "Ford crazy" as a youngster, just because everybody else liked GM's. As I got older and became aware of the Cobra and CS's successes, this car intrigued me more and more. Alas, though, marriage and kids intervened and my job is a low-paying one and the dream seemed impossible.

Just the same, I subscribed to Kit Car magazine and dreamed about the Cobra I didn't think I could ever have. I thought that a kit was such a great idea because any numbskull with money can have anything he wants, but could I really build a car myself?

Financially, I just couldn't see my way clear on a state trooper's salary. With my wife's urging, I decided to go for it, though, and get a second job.

I ordered a complete kit from a (still existing) company. The salesman said that he wanted to make sure that I didn't get cold feet and back out. He sent a Fed Ex truck by my house to pick up my deposit check for $2500. The next week, the company went bankrupt. I was out $2500 and hugely depressed.

Again, my wife urged me to forge ahead. I placed an order with Shell Valley with the agreement that they would get no money from me until the kit was loaded on my trailer. Reluctantly, they agreed, and that's how we did the deal.

I refereed high school basketball, mowed lawns, baled hay and worked as a security guard so that the family would not feel the pinch of me chasing my dream. The whole project came from my outside income.

The result is a nice looking, though unspectacular, Cobra replica that runs great, is very dependable, and gives me a great deal of enjoyment. It is the first car I ever built. My skills and tools are now much better, and I'd like to do it again, this time not repeating any of my earlier mistakes.

By the way, the company is back in business and doing OK, I guess, but I never got anything but dumped on. Just a "Classic" lesson in caveat emptor, I guess.
Old 12-30-2002, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I forgot about the "Gumball Rally", and the chase scene in the L.A. River !!!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a car that the minute you see it, you focus on its raw beautyand power

Last edited by doctorstrange; 01-08-2003 at 06:39 PM..
Old 12-31-2002, 03:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dirty Harry,,,,,,,,,unspectacular? I don't think so. It's Red? Got white stripes? You built it yourself? Thats an awesome car man! A truly spectacular result of the fruit of your labor.

Ernie
Old 12-31-2002, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 393 stroker, Tremec 3550, about 425 hp, MDA GT40 289
Not Ranked     
Talking My Reason

I've always thought about Cobra's on and off most of my life. I never really knew what I'd end up with but I knew it would have an old carb'd V-8. I was actually searching for a 1966 Mustang convertible, but I couldn't find one that was nice enough that the guy wasn't asking at least 18k for. Then I saw an ad for Classic Roadsters Cobra. I sent away for the info out of curiosity only, and left the info on the back burner for a few months. I originally thought the turn key cost was the basic kit cost. A salesman called me and pointed this out, and months later I was the proud owner of a Cobra Replica. I built is almost as basic as possible to keep costs down and planned to upgrade different things every couple of years. Well last winter was a stroker upgrade and this winter I'm doing front suspension with coilovers all around, a roll bar, new heater, steering column, rack, seatbelts and ignition switch. Tinker, Tinker, Tinker. That's all part of the fun of them. Oh Yea, my wife loves the way people gawk at the car.

Jim Downard

Happy Cruising
Old 12-31-2002, 07:15 AM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

Excaliber...

Thanks for the kind words. It certainly is a head turner. I've won 2 best of show trophies with it, but the truth is, it's small potatoes as Cobra replicas go.

Live rear axle, drum brakes on the rear, vinyl seats...you know, the corners I had to cut to make it a reality in a realistic amount of time.

It's unique enough and brightly painted enough, though, that it makes a big hit wherever it goes unless there are other Cobra replicas there. By doing most all of my own work, I have a nice car for 22K as well as the accomplishment of having done it myself with available resources.

Thanks again for the kind words. Happy New Year over there in the 808 area code.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA w/393 c.i. Windsor
Not Ranked     

Shortly after being discharged from the U.S. Army in October, 1964, a financially secure friend bought a new 427SC in Charlotte, NC. Over a period of about two years, I helped tinker with that car and rode in it on many occasions. In 1997, while swapping engines in the car (a twin supercharged 427 purchased from Shelby) he managed to set fire to the building where he was doing the work and completely destroyed the car. Not that the loss of the car was not traumatic in itself, the building where he was doing the work was his father's plastic plant and it was destroyed as well. Some years later, he sold the frame and title for $10,000.00 thinking that he had made a good deal for himself. Aside from all of that, I was completely captivated by that car. The look, the raw power and the sensual nature of the car became a part of me and will be with me forever. As time went on, I researched all of the top replica builders and found that the price of good replicas continued to climb faster than my supply of disposable income rose. Finally, after all of the children were grown and after much research, I ordered a car from ERA. Living in the foothills of western NC, I wanted a car that handled well, but I was captivated by the big block grunt of my friend's 427 car. Accordingly, I ordered a 289 FIA car and installed a 393 inch stroked Windsor engine; in my humble view, the best of both worlds. It goes without saying that this car scratches every itch that I have about performance cars. Nonetheless, I cannot help wondering, with the resources available today, what one could do with an original 427 frame and title.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am semi-retired and needed something to keep me out of trouble. Also, I have a wonderful wife!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't own a Cobra, but I got hooked as a kid attending car shows in Northern California. My dad was a ford guy and restored Mustangs and TBirds. Every Sunday in the summer we would be off to one show or the other. When the judges would go to the Cobras I would run over just to hear them fire them up! Classic lines, great history, and the best sounding motors I had ever heard. Dad always told me they cost millions so I thought it would never happen. Then a few years ago Autoweek did a profile on House Of Cobras and I found that "Kit Cars" where not all low quality VW powered garage experements. While a young family keeps me from owning a cobra today, I hope to order one in a few years. In the mean time I dream, study CC, and put togther a different configuration in my head every week.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     

It was sometime around 1981, I started hearing things about an Arntz Cobra Kit, so I sent away for some literature. It said I would need to find a Jag rear end and MG spindles etc, etc, at a junk yard. I later lost interest in the whole project. 10-12 yrs. later, I picked up a Kit Car magizine and saw an ad by Everett-Morrison that had Corvette suspension, I thought, now you're talking! If I were ever to build a Cobra, that's the suspension to have. As it turned out, for the next 7 or so yrs. I never gave much more serious thoughts about building a Cobra until I attended SEMA '99 Show.
A few weeks after the show, I received a video from some company called FACTORY FIVE RACING. I honestly could not remember who or what they were. I threw in the video not knowing what to expect, and WAMO!!!, that's when I really got crazy to have a Cobra.I later found Club Cobra and started to research all the different Cobra manufacturers. Ironically, I decided not to go with FFR, but rather with EM, and yes it has Corvette susp. and in a few weeks, my motor arrives, and yes, it's Chevy powered. Hope to have it running in less than a year. Thanks FFR !!!!
Old 12-31-2002, 03:29 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Why a Cobra? What else is there? As far as I'm concerned there is the Cobra then there is everything else.

Ever since I was 10 I remember hearing of the legendary power and performance of the Shelby Cobra.

How many cars acquire the status of being a legend in their own time and then have their legendary status span generations? Not many.

How many cars combine both classic beauty in design matched by pure bare knuckle charisma?

How many cars look as intimidating and sinister just sitting with the engine off on the tarmac?

How many cars more less ones of 40 year old design can draw a crowd at the gas station?

How many cars can still elicit from 10 year olds "Whoa! look a Cobra!"

How many cars can elicit the heart pumping thrill of unleashing 450 hp in an open roadster?

How many cars are there that just make you want to go out in the garage to admire it?

How many cars cause other motorists to smile, give the "thumbs up" or get out of their cars at red lights just to ask about it?

How many cars will draw Harley guys away from admiring their bikes just to admire it.

How many cars acquired enduring legendary status after being in production less than 6 years.

How many cars can draw as much if not more attention and admiration than a new Lamborghini.

How many cars of 60's vintage delivered supercar performance in their day and still deliver supercar performance by todays standards?

Why a Cobra? Like I said. What else is there? Need I say more.

Last edited by REAL 1; 12-31-2002 at 03:31 PM..
Old 12-31-2002, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default One more

Evan,
How many guys take them out on the track and pound the crap out of them to really know what owning a Cobra is all about?

Cranky
Old 12-31-2002, 03:58 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

In 1968 I was finishing college and I had a totla of $200 that I planned on using to purchase clothes for my new job. Like a lot of guys I liked (still do) to look at the cars for sale in the paper. On the day I was to go buy clothes I saw a 1966 427 Cobra with 9,000 miles advertised in the paper for $4,995. Since it was on the way to the clothing store I decided to go take a look. The car looked fantastic and he asked if I wanted to take it for a drive. Of course I said yes but had trouble getting behind the wheel (I'm 6'7") so I settled for a ride. After that I forgot all about buying clothes and spent the next week convincing my dad to cosign for a loan. I had told my dad the car would be worth something some day since they had stopped making them. I was thinking $10,000. I didn't tell him I couldn't get behind the wheel since I was sure I could figure out a way to do it. I called the seller and the car was still available and he was willing to take $100 to hold the car until I graduated from school and started my new job. Three months later I finally got the loan and went to pick up the car. I found I could get in the drivers seet by stepping over the steering wheel. Actually I fit fairly well once I figured that out. I put the key on my key chain fired it up and drove it a couple of blocks and it died. I thought, oh &%$$$ I just paid almost $5,000 for a car that doesn't run. It really was only a minor problem in that my knee hit the key chain and turned off the ignition. I have driven the car to this day with a bare key.

I drove the car as a daily driver for the first 4 years of ownership (about 12,000 miles per year). I did some rallies, drag racing and slaloms in addition to driving it to work. In 1970 when I paid it off I had a big celebration. I also finished paying off my school loan at the same time so it was a big deal. I got married that month and we drove the car 1400 miles on our honey moon. When we stared a family the mileage dropped dramatically. The car now has about 75,000 miles on it.

The car originally had a 428 but I replaced it with a 427 about 20 years ago. The 428 ran about as well as the 427 I have. It ran a best of 12.4 at 112 with the only changes from stock being dual point ignition, side exhaust, 3310 Holley and Dunlop rain race tires.

I feel I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to get my dream car.

Have fun, Ray
Old 12-31-2002, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Hey Ray,

Wanna double your money?????
Smart move to buy it and a smarter move to keep it...
Great story....
Old 12-31-2002, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Saw a turn key cobra for sale on ebay, love the way it looked with 17" cobraR wheels and I made up my mind earlier in the year, the next car I was going to buy would be a convertible. I bought it for the right price. Like most of us, it's a car we all dreamed of ownning some day and "when opertunity knocks,answer it "
Old 01-01-2003, 07:57 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Cranky: Not many. How many have the driving skill to drive the car to its limits and live to tell about it. Not many.