Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2002, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     
Default How/Why did you end up with a Cobra?

For me it was something I had wanted since I was in HS. I religiously purchased every kit car magazine I could find, and I day dreamed a lot. I wasn't sure when I would get one, but I knew I would eventually be Cobra owner.

A bit over 4 years ago Sherrie and I were doing a little shopping in downtow Seattle. We separated for a bit, and by the time we met at the car a bit later, Sherrie said she got me a scratch lotto ticket. We hopped in and started driving down I-5, and I said, lets scratch it now. She held the wheel and I scratched. 10,000.....10,000.....10,000!!!!!!!!!!! I was a winner! 10k! First actual words I said were, "we're getting a Cobra!!!!!" Then I said that I was taking her out to dinner. At dinner, I am looking at the ticket, and looking for the best way to redeem the money. "If the winnings are below $200 redeem at the place of purchase." "For grand prize 10,000 winner, you must redeem at your mommas house." I'm thinking for a quick second.....your mommas house?......WTF over???? Sherrie starts laughing in the restaraunt. Oh crap, this was one cruel joke on me!!!

I got the last laugh though. During that 30 minutes, I made up my mind that I was getting a Cobra. Within a month I was one proud owner!

Here's a picture of me messing up a perfectly good shot of the Cobra. See the rest by viewing my gallery.

Old 12-22-2002, 06:14 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Arrow

All I ever wanted out of life was a Shelby convertible (I'm a ragtop man at heart) to vintage race...Once I got them, I could not bear to hack either of them up to build a race car out of...Hence, the Cobra came in to play...as already stated elsewhere, not an original, as I would feel far to guilty if I was to beat one up....But a replica instead...Something I could both take to the track (1/4 mile, road race, hell, even autocross), and still take my wife or son for a quick cruise when the spirt moved me.....So, after many years of playing with convertibles (Mustangs, Shelbys, TR6s, MGBs, GTOs, etc and so forth) I could only drive on the street, I decide to fulfill my dream and purchase a Cobra replica...Funny part is, I have been lusting after one for so long (I have original sales brochures dating back to the begining of Contemporary, ERA, Butler, and a host of others), I almost forgot to enjoy it once I had it in my grasp (ok, in my garage)...Now, with the last of my "all season" prep work done, I can drive the car as many times as I can, race it, cruise it, show it, and never feel guilty about it again........I'll stop rambling now, either you get my answer, or you don't...But it's in here somewhere........

Yours in Fords,

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-23-2002 at 03:52 AM..
Old 12-22-2002, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We live less than two short blocks from Woodward Avenue: home of the Dream Cruise. We are about five short blocks from where the Great Lakes Cobra Club shows their cars during the Dream Cruise. Even since the first Dream Cruise, my wife and I go look at cars and, by a process of elimination, pick the one that we like best. For years, it has been the Cobra.

I work for General Motors. For over 20 years, I drive whatever GM supplies me as an evaluation vehicle. I do not even own a car. Most of the cars and trucks that I drive, my wife calls "breadbaskets" or some similiar term. She is also spoiled from having cars loaded with all the options. For my first 15 years at GM, my wife (who is legally blind and can not drive) was so uninterested in cars that she did not know the vehicle divisions of GM. The first time she saw a Cobra at the Dream Cruise, however, she fell in love at first sight.

For years, we regarded getting a Cobra as an unreachable, impractical dream. Dave Hill, the Chief Engineer, for Corvette is a friend of ours. Compared to a Cobra, a Corvette is very practical. I can get even get the Corvette with an employe discount. Yet my wife and I loved the shape and feel of the Cobra compared to the Corvette. We started to talk to the Cobra owners and really liked their friendliness and openness.

We finally decided that when I retire, we will need a practical vehicle. That means that if we have another vehicle, it does not have to be practical. It can be something that we love and is fun.

I told my wife that if she could balance our budget to get the Cobra, we should get one. Next thing you know, we are getting rides from Great Lakes Cobra Club members and we are making choices. I have learned more about vehicle mechanics in this quest than I ever knew before.

Our getting a Cobra is strictly a matter of love. It makes no rational sense. It is out of character for a normally very pragmatic person.

By the way, Club Cobra has been extreemly helpful in this quest. Thank you Brent.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Kinda weird for me.. I never gave a hoot about a Cobra. But all my life I have always wanted to build a car. Only one big problem, I can't weld, fiberglass, paint, wire or anything!!!!OH!!! and have never built a motor for that matter.
I have always loved winston cup cars and the way they were built.
I saw a cobra about 4 yrs ago.. and that thing hit me like a ton of bricks.. I had to have one.. Here in lies the next problem.. I didn't know these things cost so much... 50K.. what tha!!!

Well, then the research started and I ran across the FFR ads.. I just fell in love with the frame and just had to have all that aluminum skin on the frame.. just like a real race car...AND the biggest thrill of all, I could afford it to boot!!! Life is good.
FFR 2877 now sits in my garage all safe, warm and comfee
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG

Last edited by RACERAL; 12-22-2002 at 07:11 PM..
Old 12-22-2002, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Saw my first Cobra in North Carolina in 1966 and my second Cobra in the summer of 2002. Much too long a time span before I finally acquired it. With the help of some neighborhood friends and some area Cobra owners I finally made the right connections to get a car.
I've had a few Corvettes in past years but nothing quite compares to that little blue car that sitting in the garage...
Not a damn thing practical about that car but I'm at a period in my life where I don't need to be practical.. I've decided that if I need a practical car, I'm going to buy the SVT Cobra Mustang as my "if it rains" car...and I think it only comes as a convertible..
My wife is very supportive and feels the same way...
We'll be at the Woodward Dream Cruise this year along with all the other dreamers..
I thank Art Totten, Steve Boardman and Fred Savill...and of course my wife Eileen...
We're gonna have a ball with that car....
Old 12-22-2002, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gee, you guys have some interesting stories compared to mine.

I admired Cobras ever since I saw them but I probably wouldn't have actually made the plunge if a certain young man hadn't wrecked my '90 5.0 LX black notchback. What a great work car it was. I constantly got admiring remarks from co-workers. When I first got the LX, my intention was to bracket race it with a 460 in it, like my buddy. I was surprised by how well the 5 litre ran and vaguely considered someday putting it to use in a 289 type such as a slabside if I replaced the 5.0 with the 460. The local dragstrip fell through so the swap would have never happened.

After the LX was wrecked my first inclination was a kit. I checked with Unique's factory and would have eventually bought Unique if FFR hadn't popped up in the interim. FFR allowed me to start sooner financially because of their lower initial cost and my available donor. FFR's early ads were so rinky, I almost didn't check them out but now I'm happy with the decision. Their ads have improved a lot.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA gone now
Not Ranked     

Like Brent, my first lust for Cobra's began in HS. Although, when I was in high school, Brent wasn't even a twinkle in his daddy's eye yet! The Cobra was then a current production car (you know, the REAL ones...........oh never mind!)

The first one I saw was at the Times Grand Prix. The second passed me while doing the twisties on Coldwater Canyon one night! Given I was in So. Cal at the time I would even go by the airport and look at the lot full outside the factory.

Years passed, life got in the way, other car interests took prescendence. Got real warm for an Arntz in the mid '70's (still have a brochure someplace). Then a Butler in the early '80's, even toured the shop in Goleta. Finally after selling three of my toy cars one winter a few years ago I got serious, and here we are. Having gotten bit by the the original slabside first would probably explain my preference for the 289 style cars.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Living in the country (atleast it used to be), I've always owned a pickup truck. Great utility, minimal excitement. I knew I was ready for a little two-seater and I wanted something hot! I looked at the Honda S-2000 (too little an engine), Miata with a souped up motor (reminds me of a little bird), BMW Z3 (can't afford it).

One sunny afternoon last February, the wife and I were waiting at a local Red Lobster for our number to be called when I noticed a guy in the neighboring parking lot polishing his SPF. We walked over and got the 15 minute Cobra tour. Talk about snake bit, OUCH! When he told me he paid $52K for the car (side oiler) , I was bummed. Out of my price range. But he gave me the clue that started it all, "go to cobracountry.com". I scoured the "replicas for sale" for months wondering how to go about picking and talking posession of a built Cobra. I found my beauty in Birmingham (near the Unique factory) and the rest is automotive history. Took posession Easter week and have been consumed ever since.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1591 / Perf.Eng. 351W/48IDAs
Not Ranked     

Back in college in the early 80's I restored a '71 mach 1 and showed it heavily. I knew the Cobra was a real expensive little car but had never seen a real or replica one. At some point a guy started showing up to the local shows with a replica 427, big block and all. I managed to get a ride in it once. It still recall admiring the 3 inch racing belt and clasp, and the lack of foot room around the massive bellhousing. During my one and only ride, I remember the huge noise and that my neck muscles where not strong enough to hold my melon upright during the ferocious acceleration. Hooked!

From then on my friend, who went to a lot of the shows with me, and I always dreamed of owning a Cobra. We always had scoffed at the idea of owning a kit car, with exception of the Cobra, it was the only car legitimately worth owning as a kit car.

Fast forward almost 20 years, as I slip into the passsenger's seat of a demo SPF at Dynamic Motorsports....my neck muscles are still weak.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Always wanted one since I first drove one in 1965 at the Riverside Track driving school. I tried for years to buy a 289 one and no one woould sell meone back then. They had 428 ones in the car lots in Los Angles and I drove some of them but still wanted the 289. Then after health problems I couldn't afford one until I decided to build one. Still wish I could get an original 289 and am still bugging a young guy here that has one but he isn't interested in selling at all. So I will just enjoy my replica and I enjoy the people that I meet that have both originals and replicas. Of course when I am around the originals I kind of slink in and hide my replica in the back.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-23-2002, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

When I was 9 years old, in 1982, I watched my dad and my uncle build a cobra replica in our garage. I remember old Jaguar convertibles being brought over and stripped for parts(rear ends, etc)....back then, I guess, the kits weren't as good as they are today. I still have my dad's photo album...man that thing was rough when it showed up. basically a body and a frame. Anyways, the finished product was OUTSTANDING! I remember the thrill of getting to go " cruise " down Westheimer on a friday or saturday night with my dad....turning heads...people wanting to race ever stop-sign. Well, I think those days are gone, as there is no more cruising scene that I am aware of in Houston. And street racing has been turned over to mitsubishi's and hondas.

Anyways, all throughout college I would buy Kit Car magazines every month. Send away for all the brochures and day dream during class. After college, I spent some time in the army, and began "saving" money for my "cobra fund". In 1999, I made my first trip to Granby, Mo to meet with Bryan Anderson @ B&B Manufacturing. 2 trips and 3 years later, I finally placed my order on May 5th, 2002. I took delivery on september 7th, 2002.

This year has been great...I have met so many friends from Texas Cobra Club and right here at CC.com ... Luckily, down here in Texas, we can drive pretty much year around.

For instance, saturday, it was 71 degrees and sunny. Went to lunch(all back roads!!!), with a t-shirt on and no jacket!!! Man..what a beautiful day to drive these beautiful cars!

hope to see everyone @ DVSF III, and have a safe and happy holidays!

Blake Olson

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 12-23-2002, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had decided to get some kind of "toy" car after leaving a long time job and pulling money out of stock options, and the wife gave her approval. I did the engineering thing and put together a spread sheet with all the costs, pros, cons etc. The list included everything from used 911, mid year Vette, turbo'd Miata, even Ferrari 308. The FFR Cobra was one of the lowest cost options, retained more estimated value and had one of the highest fun factors and was low cost maintenance and upgrades. I had looked at a promo video given to me by a friend in karate school. Took a plant tour on a Saturday and ordered the next Monday. It has been QUITE a learning experience, but well worth it .

My Cobra IS real....just not old!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427; 428 Mid South Gear
Not Ranked     

I was 16 years old when Cobras hit the dealers; I saw pictures and heard stories from the older "gearheads", and a tremendous impression was made on me. In 1968 I was at college, and some slightly chubby guy with thick glasses unloaded a Cobra from a trailer in the dorm parking lot; his Dad had sent it I guess. It looked like (must have been) a real one, because it was rough. Oh, the sound when it started. I learned about the sin of Coveting that day, and jealousy crept into my heart big time. As I got older I gravitated towards Fords. Beginning with a '63 Falcon, I started my "shadetree" activities by dropping in a 289 and automatic. Later I went through a handfull of performance Mustangs including a '71 Boss 351. Although I got seriously involved in dirt bike racing, I never, ever got the "vision" of a Cobra out of my dreams.

Even later (10 years or so) I knew that I was not complete, and that I SHOULD build a Cobra.

HERE'S THE TURNING POINT! Kids grown and gone, my wife says, "since you like motorcycles so much, let's get a touring bike with a trailer for fun trips". That was my opening, because I KNEW she wanted a convertible car. I said, "that's a great idea sweety. But do you know how uncomfortable a bike can be on a trip? How about let's MAKE OUR OWN CONVERTIBLE instead?"

It worked!!!! Then I showed her a photo and took her to see Cobra's at Pigeon Forge........she was HOOKED!!!! Ordered; built; met new friends who HELPED; nothing but fun since.

I am complete, blessed, and not feeling guilty about the irrational spending!!! Just wish I knew who the guy was who got the Cobra at school.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My story is pretty typical. Got the hook in 1989 or therabouts (see car and driver issue with Ernie Elliot Unique on cover). Started subscribing to all kit car mags. Went to car shows, hung out at Cobra Restorers a couple of times. Really was taken with Unique 289 when it debuted in 1992 (?).
About 10 years later making move toward building kit. My wife is not completely sold on my mechanical abilities, and went along with buying a used car I found on EBAY. It took 14 years, but I finally got to scratch the itch.
Mine was the first one I had ever driven.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:34 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Is this a trick question?

I was a Mustand nut as a teen ager. Owned six built between 1967 and 1970. From a two barrel 289 to a 390(fastest was the '70 Cleveland). Naturally that created some interest in the Cobra. Still remaining a car nut all my life one day I ran across an add for FFR. An that was all she wrote. Although I didn't end up with a FFR, it was them that got me looking.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Why a snake?

I was about 10 years old and living in Old town in Chicago.
I was waiting to crossing the street when I heard it.
What the heck was this strange looking car with no top,
and sounding so loud?
Man, WOW!!! did you see that?
No No No DID YOU SEE THAT CAR?
Man, I'm gonna have one of those when I grow up!!!!
No man I really mean it!
That's the day when she first rode into my life............
that was the day I first fell in love (with a car)
Now, fast forward thirty-five years.
I was lucky enough to be able to keep that promise to me self.

Arcenio
Old 12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Late 80's, read a 'Hot Rod' magazine story that compared 3 kit-cars... a Cobra, (possibly a Butler) and two others, maybe a Lotus Seven and a Corvette Gran Sport? I was knocked out! The next day my 'Car Collector' magazine came... it had a 1/2 page ad for an Everett-Morrison kit at $5995. The check went out within a week. Probably very lucky since I did everything wrong, i.e. did not visit the factory, talk to other owners, clubs, etc.

- Dan
Old 12-23-2002, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Because GM didn't / doesn't make anything that fast.

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 12-23-2002, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff,

Ford does not make anything that fast. They did not even make the Cobra. But they did sell it and put their name on it. The body is by AC with Ford engines per the influence of Carroll Shelby. Basically only enough Cobras were built and sold to stick it to the Corvette and General Motors as Ford was trying to develop a name in racing. They had to go out of house to do it. They only stayed with it for a few years.

GM on the other hand has consistently delivered in the Corvette the best value for the money in a true American sports car for fifty years. The Cobra was built to best the Corvette but the Cobra did not last.

In pure racing, GM consistently outperforms Ford. GM can build that fast. They just have not choosen to sell street vehicles that have a lifetime total of less than 500 sales.

Part of the attractiveness of the Cobra is the limited numbers of the original. Neither Ford or GM could afford to build such a limited production vehicle again for a long time except at the very high end. When they do it, they will go out of house to have it done, such as GM selling Cunninghams.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:56 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

I only ever saw one real one back in '64 or '65 but I can remember reading everything about this wonderful little car that turned the racing world upside down. A few years later I got married, kids came along, cars took a back seat to raising a family. In '97 I bought a new Mustang Cobra. I loved it but I couldn't work on it. About the only thing I could do was change the oil, heck I didn't even know what half the stuff was under the hood.

My wife could see that I was restless and about that time I discovered the "kit" Cobra. We went down to Knott's to look at these wonderful beasts. I think my wife got hooked about the same time as I did. I began to calculate the money it would take to build a nice one and how long I would have to save. My wonderful wife asked me if I was really serious about getting a Cobra to which I answered, yes. She said "don't wait, cash in some savings and go buy your car". I picked up my Johnex in August '99 and I haven't looked back. I recently traded in the '97 Mustang on a new Explorer since I needed a properly equipped tow vehicle for the Cobra.

For any of you out there sitting on the fence, take my wife's recommendation.......don't wait, go buy your car.

Wayne