Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

American Band Stand when it was in Phiadelphia. Our youth group
went there 3 times. I remember the place was really small and Dick Clark had a big head for the size of his body!!
Old 05-01-2003, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

That reference to the new car introductions brought back a memory! In the fall of 1966 the local Chevy dealer had a black and white two-tone Bel Aire two door '57 hardtop on the showroom floor- with fuel injection! We all rode our bikes there many times to drool over it and imagine how totally perfect life would be if only we had that car for 15 minutes.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 05-01-2003, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Let' see. The Xmas year progression of presents as a youngster

1) Lionel Train set
2) Erector set (A.C. Gilbert)
3) Chemistry set
4) Aurora slot car set
Old 05-01-2003, 07:21 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Cal,
What about the American Flyer sled, the slipper sox, a Daniel Boone Coon skin hat and the magnefying glass?

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 05-01-2003, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Chemistry sets... reminds me of the time we were all to do experiments in Chemistry class. I decided to build a rocket motor using an expended CO2 cylinder, sulfur, and aluminum powder.

My Chemistry teacher signed off on the project and noted that another person had attempted the same experiment years earlier without success. That was all of the incouragement I needed!

My test bed was a length of board, a rollerskate, and a spring scale, all viewed with a mirror from the other side of a brick wall.

I milled the sulfur and aluminum powder down until they were like dust. Mixed everything in a wood bowl with a wood spoon. Filled the CO2 cylinder and tamped the mixture down pretty darn good.

Igition via a small charge of BP and nichrome wire to a 12 v transformer.

Worked like a champ. I don't remember how much thrust the thing put out but I do remember the roar and the foot long flame!

Many years later I learned just how dangerous and sensitive to static electricity the propellant mixture was. Apparently I was lucky not to have the thing blow up.

Then again, as I think back, there were an alarming number of times I could have been injured or killed with the stunts I pulled with any number of things... including cars!

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

What was..."As much fun to make, as it is to eat!"?

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Playing "Doctor"!

Making a tree house and spending hours up there. The land lords wife finally offered me 25 cents if I would take it down because she thought it would harm the tree.

Rick......

Last edited by Rick Parker; 05-01-2003 at 07:36 PM..
Old 05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

"Shake and Bake" and I helped!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How about " You Bet Your Life" with Grocho Marks. Can anyone remember the bird's name that came down from the ceiling?
There weren't many programs on then but this was popular.

Then there was Ed Sullivan's talent show. I really remember the first show with Elvis Presley. While Elvis was on a few shows before Sullivan, I think Sullivan was the most notable.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:34 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I don't remember the bird's name on "You bet your life", but wasn't it a duck? I don't think it had a name.

Bumpster
Old 05-01-2003, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pilgrim Sumo
Not Ranked     
Default old

I,m so old I remember when a tuneup meant replacing spark plugs, air filter. fuel filter, distributor cap, rotor. wires, points(whats that) setting the dwell?, timing, cleaning the carburetor and choke and then road testing it ( preferably an italian tuneup at this point) and the whole thing only lasted about ten thousand miles and you had to do it all again.... frank
Old 05-01-2003, 10:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to BO DUTCH
Not Ranked     

Ed,

As to "You Bet our Life", I don't know or remember if the Duck had a name but I do remember Grocho's side kicks name !!

George Fenniman !!
------------------------------------------
Old 05-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     
Default Edley....

.......you mean......CREEPY CRAWLERS?!!!!!!!!!

I'm too damn old........I remember when CS was respected and a "kit car" came in an AMT box and cost 99 cents.

Our local "50,000 watt giant" was WKBW, one of "America's two great radio stations" (they never said what the other one was) and listened to George "The Hound Dog" Lorenz who was one of the three people responsible for making Rock 'n Roll popular. The Hound was friends with Elvis, could make a record a hit and didn't care if you were black, white or green as long as your music had something going for it. He is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Hounds daughter married my wifes cousin and I was excited that I would meet the legend at the wedding...alas he died the week before the wedding and I never got to meet him.

I remember when you could buy a car for $100.00 that might actually run when you bought it, more than likely it WOULDN'T run when we got done "tuning" or "improving" it.....One of my buddies bought a 1962 MGA Mk II for $100.00, we towed it home, he took of the Goodyear Bluestreaks that were on the car, sold them for $50.00 and bought some recaps for $40.00. We installed new rocker panels, using sheet metal screws as none of us could weld or braze, filled the dent in the right rear quarter with about 3 gallons of filler (never occured to us to bang it out first) and painted it BRG. Paint was old straight enamal and came out a LOT better than we ever thought it would.....Jim drove the "A" for 3 years and sold it for $1500.00, he thought he had scored big time. We loved cruising in that car, problem was if we had ever actually hooked up with some girls, where were we gonna put them? We never did have the problem.....

"Friday Night Fright Night" on WKBW-TV. After the late news all the classic Horror/Monster/Sci-Fi movies. Wolfman, Attack of the Giant Spider, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, Night of the Living Dead, Rodan, Godzilla (there goes Tokyo AGAIN...B.O.C.)The Blob (with STEVEN McQueen) and all those other great, bad and just scary "films". These taught us that teenagers will ALWAYS go into a dark cave despite a giant spider roaming the area, scientists are ALWAYS gonna screw with the enviroment or DNA or sumpthin' and create, waken or summon some sort of giant/deranged/vengeful entity that will eat/stomp on/melt the local populace.

Dang, did I mention I was old.....

Rick

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-02-2003, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Edley, would that be "Jiffy pop, Jiffy pop the magic treat as much fun to make as it is to eat"

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flyin Freddie, nice to have a fellow Parrothead around!!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Gordon and Freddie,

You guys got another Parrothead here--

My tag line below came from the Volcano album shot of Buffet on the back cover, on top of the volcano on Monserratt(before it blew)--like that philosophy no matter what--"Ain't Life Grand"
Old 05-02-2003, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I am so old

I am so old that I remember that my 1912 Model T Ford Touring was called a "foredoor" (note spelling) because the front (fore) doors were ahead (in front of) of the rear doors. These "fore" doors could be removed along with the entire cowl side panels to give a more open feeling. This was Ford Motor Company's nomenclature, not generic or slang or just a nickname! The carbide generator on the left running board produced acetylene gas to fuel the headlamps by having a small bucket filled with water slowly drip down on a metal basket of carbide rocks. Contact of the water w/ the carbide rocks produced the acetylene gas which then was gravity fed by rubber and brass tubing to the headlamps. The headlamp doors opened to allow lighting the burner. This same set up was used on early Harley-Davidson's as well.
Jim
thecobraguy
Old 05-02-2003, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     

I'm so old, I remember walking into a Ford dealership showroom in '66 or '67, on Ventura Blvd. in Encino, CA and seeing a red 427 Cobra with a price tag of $7,000.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I was SO young...

I spent two years in Key West,,,,one of many "Margaritavilles" I've tried around the world.

I DID cut my heel on a pop top and had to cruise on back home, LOL.

Da Kine flip flop? I no like blow out my rubbah shlippas....

We going Aunties Wedding? Gotta dress up brah, wear matching color rubbah shlippas and tee shirt with no pukas (holes).

Ernie
Old 05-02-2003, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Virtual 2.4M
Send a message via AIM to TomH
Not Ranked     

Old?...

I realized how old I was when I went to the Ford Museum / Greenfield Village and realized how many of the cars I had actually driven!

Muntz is spelled with a "Z" and was the name of Madman Muntz, a Chicago entrepeneur.

Wolfman Jack came to life on XERF out of Del Rio, TX. Late at night and long before American Graffitti. (XERF was the Tex/Mex border equivalent of North Seas "Pirate Radio" in Europe.)

A bucket of beer used to be a pail and had a lid on it. Cheaper than bottles and the predecessor to MGD at home.

Gas was bought $2 at a time and that was good for the weekend.

Smokey Yunick used to write a monthly column for Mechanix Illustrated.

Chris Economacki wrote for the weekly Competition Press before being acquired by Autoweek.

The black & white pictures in Hot Rod had a green tint to them.

A "coffee grinder" was an essential rallying tool.

Radials were radical, but not as radical as Jim Hall and his (Soon to be banned) Chaparrals.

Luigi Chinetti controlled Ferrari in the US and Max Hoffman controlled BMW. Great cars were matched with great people and their egos. Sports Car Illustrated covered it all.

Flipping the lid on the air cleaner of your dad's car improved it's sound at the drive-in. (Mc Donalds @ 15¢ and White Castle @ 12¢)

Slicks were called "Cheater Slicks" amongst the street racing crowd, and were often installed after the bet was made.

High powered V8s in small flexible chassis also lived in the Sunbeam Tigers, MGB-V8s, Hemi/440 Darts, and 427 Camaros.

Sunoco 260 was readily available and you could see the ground when you looked down in an engine compartment.

Acting and commercials got in the way of the Vette on Route 66.

Balancing Webers, or SUs for that matter, was a black art. Lucas earned the "Prince of Darkness" moniker.

The best Duncan YoYo was the Imperial.

...Old; naw, just rode hard and put away wet.

Last edited by TomH; 05-02-2003 at 08:04 PM..