LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Kit Cars, Hot Rods and Respect

Just venting a little bit...

I was at a car show up here in Cleveland on July 4th. Classes were broken down into 5 year increments, with two sub-classes; "stock" and "modified"

I saw all kinds of kit, er, ah... I mean "component" cars in the 30-34 modified class - mostly 32 and 34 Fords... fiberglass bodies and modern frames & running gear.

Seeing those cars in that class, I signed up for 65-70 modified. Instead of being placed there, I was put in "special interest".

I can't understand why a 34 Ford replica is placed in it's 'year' while a Cobra replica is placed in "special interest". When I asked the guy running the show; he said that the Cobra is a kit, but the 34 was a hot rod.

Not that we get a lot of respect anyway, but this seemed pretty silly. BTW, I was beat out by a couple of pickup trucks - ugh! Why they were in "special interest", I didn't even want to know.

- Dan

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 07-18-2003 at 05:19 AM..
Old 07-18-2003, 05:53 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Equal rights for Cobras!

Just doesn't make sense does it Dan. If a kit 32 is a hot rod, then is a kit Cobra not a race car or a sports car?

When women in the 60's where demanding equal rights they burned their bra's, what should we put in our fire?

How does a pick up truck warrant 'special interest'? I have NO special interest in a truck!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-18-2003, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Dan,

You got beat by a truck again???? Don't worry, you're always number one in my book Heading for the QSL on Sunday?

AL
Old 07-18-2003, 06:25 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default QSL

QSL this Sunday?
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-18-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We just need to stop using the word "kit" to define the car. Once it's been put together, it's not a "kit" anymore. All that matters then is how well it is put together and what components it is made of. All cars are made from a "kit" of parts.

UGH...
Old 07-18-2003, 07:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,that's exactly why I quit going to car shows,now I only attend MCA sactioned and judged shows,then very few of them anyway. I like the MCA judging because everybody is judged by the same thing....

Around here the "open" car shows are all won by the club putting it on or the guy that has the most chrome......I do attend some cruise nights and still go to one car show here to meet up with old friends,but when at the car show or cruise night I register my car as a "display only" vehicle,I do not want it judged by their rules against their cars,I'm just there for the fun anyway and that way I do not leave mad....

Been there,seen that......

David
Old 07-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Post figures

This just figures.

I was in traffic on Wed. and someone stopped in the middle of the road and asked what I was driving. I was in the left turn lane. He just stopped.

Some people appreciate the work you put into the car and others think you have a Cracker Jack prize.

Just a thought.

Old 07-18-2003, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i agree, if you use the word "kit" people get the VW idea with duct tape and a chicken wire car. i was at the iola car show in wisconsin (mostly old muscle cars) there was a superformance s1 there. i over heard a guy next to it say "that is one of those kits" with disgust! and the owner of the car stepped up and said "actually it is a car just like a ford or chevy made in a factory and i put my own engine in it" the other guy said "wow very nice" and a whole conversation sparked up about the car. i just think the cobra has a bad rap

cobra = kit car
32 ford = hot rod

yup i seen that at the car show too, it is called ignorance.

cant see the forest for the trees.

brad
Old 07-18-2003, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

Guees what we could do at these events is register as an original, they don't have a clue if its original or not. Around our peers we can be honest but around the local car show bunch you may as well BS as much as they do. Now saying that, there are some good crusies and car shows, but there is also some ignorant #$#$ out there. I too don't like the word "Kit Car", I still think Replica fits better. After nearly two years of hard (fun) work I have a problem with "Kit". My 2 cents worth.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a crap shoot how your Cobra will be listed at a car show. And the category makes a HUGE difference in how well the car will do. I have had mine listed as:

"Exoctic", SPF took 1st, FFR took second and me third, got a plaque. I thought it was a fair evaluation. The Gold Plated EVERYTHING Pantera was "display" only (nice car, but to "over the top" gold trimmed for my taste).

"Rod", I won FIRST PLACE (nice Trophy) against 32 Fords, etc.

At an "Import Car Show" I was listed as:
"Domestic", 1st place to a Chevy Cavalier with a "wing", fart can, neon lights, stickers and of course Nitrous. I didn't even place, but the "girls" were outstanding!

Ernie
Old 07-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Import Car Show

I didn't "win", being a "Domestic" car, but had a great time!

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

All righty... now we are talking - course the only girls interested in my car are 5 year olds and their grandmothers, so now I'm really sad!

Glad that I'm not the only one having this problem... not that I go to win trophies or anything but the whole thing just struck me as kinda crazy.

Al - will be at QS&L about 4:30, by 5:00 they are out of parking spots. Might head out to Eastlake tomorrow.

Rick - sorry the QS&L is in Sheffield Lake, up here in Cleveland, not the Columbus one, but you're always welcome... hope to see you at Gary's party on August 2nd.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default August 2

I am going to try and make it! Can we get those girls to come as well?
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 07-18-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

yup i seen that at the car show too, it is called ignorance.

could not have said it better gear88.

I have run into the same problem and have come to the conclusion that the respect comes from peers which you will not find at most car shows. Starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I just go to have fun and I guess that means not having my car judged. I know that the cars we build are as "original' as any of their Hot Rods so to say one is a kit the other is a Hot Rod is ignorance at its worst. I don't need a plaque to tell me how good or nice the car I drive is or a piece of paper telling me what place I won. All they are is paper and metal as far as I'm concerned. The real trophy comes from seeing people come up and say can I have a ride or I wish I had one of these. The best is when you have a bunch of other reptiles around that can appreciate what the other has.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

David has it correct so far as the car shows in this area are concerned. All are won by the local clubs putting them on, and most winners are picked before the show. This I know for a fact as I belonged to one of the larger clubs for a few years until I got tired of the crap. They meet a week before the show to decide who wins and what class. If they have three cars that belong in a class and want all 3 to win they just move one of them to another class. 32-35 Fords & etc. go into their year classes while I have seen everything from 18 wheelers to 3/4 scale cars in special construction. That seems to be a catch all class. When I was putting my Replica Cobra in some shows I was in special construction, 1965-1970 stock, sports cars, and modified classes depending on the show. One show I was in the 1960-1979 stock class. I just go now to look at the cars as mine was never really good enough to be shown in the first place. But I still get disgusted when I see a ( dare I use that word ) Kit 1932 Ford touring car with top, and side windows in the roadster class because they already had their winners for the roadster class picked and they had to get this guy a win some way.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-18-2003, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 Seat Roadster-by B&B, 460+ w/auto.
Not Ranked     

Gawd dang it Ernie! I'm sending you a bill if I screwed up my keyboard from the drool dripping on it!
Seriously, I had a little discussion with a car show judge and asked him the same question. He started to give me some bull horkey excuse until I gave him my business card that had a Cobra and 34 on it. I told him we made the frames, fiberglass bodies, and related components for each in house. So, to me, outside of the shape, why is one a "Hot Rod" and the other a "Kit Car"? He started to get a little arrogant and asked what I know about them. I had to open my big mouth and tell him my background, also being in the business of building these cars (splitting my time between assembly and weld/fabrication dept.) I think I know how they are built. He finally admitted he didn't like kit cars and, me and my big mouth AGAIN, said I didn't like the TERM kit car. He just walked away shaking his head. Well I finished at the next car show.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Too bad car shows cant have some standards of classes. NO WAY should a truck be in the same class as a Cobra/Corvette! Some simple Classes: 1. Brass Era 2. '30s cars 3. '40s cars 4. '50s cars 5. '60s cars 6. Trucks-early 7. Trucks-later 8. V8+ Sports cars 9. V6- Sports cars 10. Other (Please add Classes as you see fit!)

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

I think if you start looking underneath most of your basic "hotrods" these days you will see design that we Cobra folk left behind years ago!Who is it thats really driving the "kitcars" now?We can drive a factory built reproduction these days of higher quality at half as many dollars as your average '34-ish rod,that really perform when called upon to do so,but are docile enough to use as daily drivers if called upon to do so.Maybe thats the reason for the sour grapes.Credibily comes on the street,or on the track,not at some bogus,predetermined show.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

I like going to shows, but I'm not there to win. It's funny really, because I see more people huddled around Cobras than just about anything at the shows, and yet they rarely win stuff. I'll bet it drives people nuts to see a dinged up Cobra get more attention than their chromed out rod. Makes me laugh!
Old 07-19-2003, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Driving a Cobra down the road is like driving into the "Twilight Zone" Every just freezes in place,with there chins at there ankles.If they were fast enough,they may have had time to get both thumbs up!A street rod is just a cute old car,and most people respond accordingly.