21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2003, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only problem with the so-called "fake" side pipes is that this is suppose to be (and several of you say it is!) a world class automobile. If the sidepipes are to loud and there are other problems, why weren't the sidepipes just left off? In a "replica" world were each a$$hole out there is going to find something to bash about your vehicle, there is no reason to give them anything that would taint this car. It would have been better if the car came with a setup where you could select the sidepipes to be functional or go to the rear of the car.

The Viper is basically a "coupe clone" with a big block and sidepipes, why is it they have no problems?

As far as the Mach 1's "ram air", there are already modifications to get the proper air flow going. While the magazines that tested the car say that the ram air didn't add a hole lot, it was functional.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No way you could leave the side pipes OFF the Coupe. It wouldn't be against "nature" to do that!

Ernie
Old 08-01-2003, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

In the below link to the photos, you can see how the side pipe mufflers are actually functional, but right where they exit, the "real" tailpipe turns "in" and under the car and out the back... effectively hidden by all accounts. I beleive the side exits share the same "wall" dividing the tail exit pipe, therefore I beleive just a simple mod is all that's needed to make them fully activate. The side pipes ARE real, hot and functional... the side "exits" just are not.

From speaking with Jim Price personally on this, it appeared he tried his darndest to make it work, and probably one of the big delay's of getting this Coupe out on the market, I presume. In the end, the "sacrifice" of driver/passenger enjoyment would not only significatny comprimised with true side exits, but it would have done so much to the point that it did not warrant any of the insignificant "benefits" of having them exit out the side.

However, with that said, once again, I beleive these could easily be made active, but I doubt once one would, they probably would never want to again, except for maybe the "purists" that want to use this car as a "show-off car" and bite the bullet with ear muffs and a facial respirator during the short drives around town.

I beleive at first the "sacrifice" of extreme noise and stink in the cockpit was accepted, but after this car evovled from a just another mere replica into an absolute work of automotive art all unto itself, Jim Price realized that owners would want to drive the pants off this car every chance they could, therefore, the side pipe issue had to be addressed one way or another... and in the end, Jim took the absolute best possible action for the overall respect this car deserves.

(side pipe photo located at the bottom of this page)
http://performanceunlimited.com/scof/coupe.html

/Randall

Last edited by Randall Thomas; 08-01-2003 at 10:49 AM..
Old 08-01-2003, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Nice looking car. Thanks for the link, Randall.

I think the Viper Coupe has rear-exit exhausts as well, no? I remember the prototype Coupe had side exhausts that were blanked off and run out the back; I think all of the production versions have exited under the center of the rear bumper. The roadsters had the side exhausts until around 1995 or '96, then they, too, were given the rear exit pipes.

I'll bet SPF ends up offering a functional sidepipe option. Heck, they could probably rig up a cutout system that would enable one or the other to be used. Couldn't be much different than the exhaust systems used on some sports cars in production now, which have internal valving to allow them to pass drive-by noise tests, while retaining the ability to open up for freer flow (and more noise) when desired--
Old 08-01-2003, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Coupe REAL Side Pipes

I just spoke with Ian at the Superformance dealership in Ross, OH where the Coupe lived this past week, and they have confirmed that the Side Pipes on the new Coupe CAN BE HAD in either a TRUE SIDE EXIT versions (fully functional)... or as the rear exit out the back and still retain the side pipe mufflers being used without the problems associated with the side exits. Just specify when buying your new Superformance Coupe!

So in otherwords, yes, the pipes are real, and exit out the side if you so wish to choose. No problems, and already was addressed by Superformance long before even being finished months ago.

I hope that settles all the suspisions and assumptions.

/Randall

Last edited by Randall Thomas; 08-01-2003 at 08:36 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More information on the Coupe side Pipes

I just received word from Superformance International HQ in Virginia that the "real" side pipe version, to buyers who wish that type of exhaust exit, is available at NO EXTRA COST upon purchase.

I just wanted to clarify that in advance to answer any question that might have been raised in this regard.

By the way, the sneak spy photos on the SCOF site in no way reflect the amazing beauty and mechanical artistry of this fine example of automotive craftsmanship. You just have to see it for yourself!

/Randall

Last edited by Randall Thomas; 08-01-2003 at 08:34 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AWESOME, A "REAL" SUPERFORMANCE COUPE! 100% FULLY FUNCTIONAL...
Old 08-01-2003, 08:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

When will they be available for ordering? Any info?

May soon have a White w/ Blue and roundels SPF For Sale
Old 08-01-2003, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe they are ready to order now already! to get ahold of the local dealer call their number at 1-800-297-6253
Old 08-02-2003, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

i have seen some photos of production cars about to be completed, in various colors. They look particularily stunning in red or blue. When you see one "in the flesh" , as i have been priveleged to do, it is simply a work of art. Instead of the brutal, intimidating look of an Cobra, it seems to have an athleticism, a sort of lithe look about it, the visual aerodynamics and smooth curves just seem to say "i am the fastest car you have ever laid eyes on."

I would think that of the worlds production cars, very few can pull over 200 mph, and in all liklihood this one will rank right up there with Supercars costing far more. I honestly think it is perhaps the most beautiful car i have ever seen.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-02-2003, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Talking Louisville "spy" Pic's!!!

Lookie!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2003, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking more

See, you want to buy one!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2003, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Climb in!!

You go here!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2003, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default This is what everyone else will see

nice.....
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2003, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default THOSE are not the Wheels!

Before this gets out of hand (lol), those are *not* the only wheels that this car will sit on! So hang tite for the photos of those when they come in.

You're getting late breaking photos from feet on the ground, so things are happening faster than the Internet can keep up with it.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By the way, I assume this car will come with an MSO and it's up to the purchaser to get it licensed??

Ernie
Old 08-02-2003, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question $85,000. to $90,000. ?????

I understand a complete Coupe with engine/drivetrain will cost in the vicinity of $85,000 to $90,000. Most people would probably want to put a high-end powertrain in this car. So the numbers make sense.

Does anyone know which engine/tranny was used in the prototypes???? How much horsepower is required to achieve 200-mph?????

Regarding the sidepipes issue, the drivers who raced the original Daytona Coupes complained about the extreme, excruciating noise levels. Why in the hell would anyone want IDENTICAL "real" sidepipes on a street car??? Deafening noise, fumes, cops/tickets, angry neighbors....does that sound like fun ?????

I don't like those funky white wheels. Reminds me of those ugly yellow ones you could get on a Viper a few years back.

Anywhooo, nice car. But too rich for my blood, barring winning the lottery or inheriting a bundle.

Y'all take it easy now, Brett
Old 08-02-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1649, Steel Gray with Silver stripes 427W/565hp stroker from Performance engineering
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona coupe photos

I will be going to the street rods nationals again tomorrow and will stop by the Superformance booth to take some pictures of the Daytona Coupe for Dean Rosen. I will post these once I come back home tomorrow night. Visit this thread after tomorrow.
Louisville, KY 40217

502-635-5711

juanlb@lbrllc.net
Old 08-02-2003, 02:37 PM
289 FIA Fan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Brett,

They came with 289's. One of the Italian cars, CSX 2286, originally came with a 390, but it was taken out and a 289 put in.

Cal, Big Bob or Snakeeyes,

Did Shelby ever put a 427 in a coupe?

David Lowell
Old 08-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

The coupe has its place in history and I love the looks until you get the view many will see! The rear view looks like they ran out of materials or time and covered the hole with a sheet of plywood. I know I will get grief for this blasphemy, just my 2 cents. I do appreciate the car and wish I could own one or two but would want to finish the body with the flow and grace of the rest of the great looking body lines.