28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Superformance Coupe goes to Louisville Nationals!

For all those interested, the Superformance Coupe will be at the Louisville Street Rod Nationals on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (August 1st, 2nd, and 3rd).

If you have a chance, you should see it. It is really a wonderful car!

Eric
Old 07-30-2003, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Eric,

Is this the one with the fake fiberglass side pipes.

Allan
Old 07-30-2003, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It would be nice to see what one would look like with a single "Cobra-like" side pipe.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I'm headed there this morning, I'm anxious to see the car that was so "blatantly" lifted from CS . Also need a few days away.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

Welcome to my hometown guys hope all that come to see the Street rod nationals enjoy themselves. The vendors are setup all over the south wing ( Huge) Unfortunately my wife wanted to some where for her Birthday and we are leaving Friday 1st early and will not be back until everything is over. But it is all in line to help get some of those "upgrades" on the car. Believe me it was HOT last year and my feet hurt from looking at most of the cars could not see them all. Some awesome pieces of work come in from all the country... but they just draw the crowd the cobra does.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     
Question

Does the Superformance coupe really have fake exhaust? Somebody told me it did, but I thought it was a joke.

Anyway, does anybody have photos to post?
Old 07-31-2003, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Can't wait to see this cool car!

David
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 07-31-2003, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by David Kirkham

Can't wait to see this cool car!

David

David, I think they are taking orders for it.... ;-)

Yes, I too would love to have an hour with it on an open road... but since all the dealers know my face, I'll just have to settle for a ride in yours when you get it... :-)

/Randall
Old 07-31-2003, 03:30 PM
Subsistance du serpent
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baldwin
Not Ranked     

You can also see it at Reno during Hot August Nights.

A few ERAs, SPFs, Shelbys, Kirkhams...
Old 07-31-2003, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 1649 with a 427W from Performance Engineering in Ross, Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to tainoart
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona Coupe

I just came back this afternoon from the Street Rod Nationals and the Dynamic Motorsports' Superformance exhibit. The Daytona Coupe was there and boy it is awesome. I don't have adequate words to do this car justice. I truly believe this is one of the finest cars made today in it's category.

I just took delivery of my SPF 1649 otherwise I would be putting a deposit on one right now. The fit and finish of the Daytona is truly Superformance, the stance of the car is all muscle and for $63,800 minus engine and trans is a steal. I am getting one just not this year. This may sound sexist to some but the car is truly PURE SEX.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Three Cobras, one 351W, one 427SO, one 527BB & one GT-40 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Daytona Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by tainoart

I just took delivery of my SPF 1649 otherwise I would be putting a deposit on one right now...

I hear they take trade-in's too ;-)

/Randall
Old 07-31-2003, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351W-stroked
Not Ranked     

For those who are "concerned" about the "fake" side pipes, I know that after Jimmy Price test drove the car with functional side pipes, he (being concerned about passenger comfort and noise level inside the car) decided on the alternative--exhaust from under the car but keep the esthetic looks. For those "nay sayers", thats the story.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

perhaps folks who will put this much money in a closed car, are not likely to want to risk injury and dirt from functional sidepipes. Being a coupe, with a top speed in the vicinity of 200 mph, it needed some minimal creature comforts for long trips. It has AC, and electric windows, so it can be used in warm and wet weather. The exhausts exit under the rear valences on each side. It has a 6 speed, too. 18 inch speed rated tires, on Halibrand look-alike wheels. Can't realistically put 112 mile rated tires on a car like this.

I suppose if one wanted to make it hot and noisy, it could perhaps be made that way. Having ridden in the prototype several years ago, it is some car.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 07-31-2003, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Note: the new Brock Coupe by Superformance has real side pipes! The side pipes are the first set of mufflers that then transfer into a second set of mufflers that exit under the car just aft of the differential. The car has a GREAT sound!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Must the "whimp" factor in me.

Real looking side pipes that exit out the rear? I like it! I undertand on the "real" Coupes exhaust fumes was a "real" problem as it rolled up the side of the car into the closed cockpit.

A/C? Oh yeah, I'm all for that!

Can't have to many gears either! Now, I'd like 16", 17" max on the tires please.

Ernie
Old 07-31-2003, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand what everyone has said in defense of the exhaust coming out the rear, however I would probably not purchase the car unless the sidepipes were functional. Was there no way to even put a single style sidepipe like the Cobra and Viper? I have seen some "sketches" of what a modern Coupe might look like on Club Cobra that looked really good with a single style sidepipe.

I don't like any "non-functional" type items on a car, that is why I like the new Mach 1 with functional Ram Air.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool The Midas touch......

Heck Bandit it should be easy enough to cut the pipes off where the tuck in and add a little turn to 'em. No problem.

I DO understand the "non-functional" thing, I HATE that on a car. Hmmmm,,,not sure that exactly applies in this case, as the exhaust IS routed through the side pipes. A gray area at best.

Ernie
Old 08-01-2003, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

read about the Mach 1's functional hood scoop, it does indeed get its air from the inlet on the hood, but then it is routed thru a tortouous tubing to the same inlet and filter as on the non-hood scoop cars, so it may actually make less power to a very small degree. But it is "functional" as to the look.

One of the issues with the prototype several years ago was the noise the twin sidepipes emitted, they were forced to put some tin cans up in them for one one the track events in a One Lap of American track, due to race track noise requirements.

I think i have one of the loudest SPF's out on the road, for a number of reasons and "tweaks", and the 60K miles i have on my car. But since this is intened to be a GT car, not just a track event car, like the modified non-DOT Viper race car, some compromises are necessary, one of those being violation of noise ordinances, neighborhood policies, and common courtesy to one's neighbors. For instance, if i need to go somewhere in my car in thte middle of the night, i will usually push it out the garage, and roll it down the driveway, and not actually start it until i am rolling down the street, away from my friend's bedroom windows.

One of the "functional" areas they solved, was the small air scoop inlets just in front of the windshield on the "fenders", where in the race car they fed cooling air to the driver's feet. On the prototype, there was no way to keep them from getting the interior wet in the rain. In order to keep the small air scoops, they now injest air that is then sent downward to an in-between space between the firewall and and a second firewall just behind that one, to help reduce engine heat coming into the cockpit. So no water in the interior, but still a "functional" scoop.

It is possible that more than one wheel design may be offered, there were several different wheel designs on the prototypes over the past few years. I don't know for sure.

I think it is an extraordinary car for the money spent to put one on the road. I guess CS is impressed enough with the workmanship and craftmanship of the people and factories of South Africa to start building his own Shelby Cobra's there now.

all the best, and God Bless our Military.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What would the car look like without sidepipes? Can anyone photochop a coupe pic to delete the sidepipes?

Last edited by southernfriedcj; 08-03-2003 at 06:04 PM..
Old 08-01-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up SP Coupe...the "Brock Coupe"

I had the fortunate timing to see the prototype of this totally awwwwwsumb coupe in September 2000, when I purchased SPF #770 at Bob and Dennis Olthoff's shop. I can only say that while still in it's prototype state, the car was trully stunning.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting Jimmy Price, SPF owner and car enthusiast - just like must of us. Bottom line on the non-functional side pipe was that when Jimmy drove a pre-production car, he was unhappy with the resonance and noise in the cabin produced by functional side pipe. Basically, it just wasn't the car he though it should be with loud sidepipes, and said "No, go back and reengineer this piece of the car." I've read - as mentioned in a previous posting - that the original Daytonas had a real problem with in-cabin fumes and heat due to the side pipes - remember, this is a totally enclosed car, meant to race in a 'GT' class. I have driven several SPF's with fitted hardtops, and while they are much more "creature-friendly" with a hardtop fitted, they are MUCH more loud and noisy with the hardtop on. When Jimmy was questioned about functional sidepipes, I understand he simply said "No, No, No, No!". Okay...being somewhat familar with his penchant for perfection...I trust him. If he's not happy with something on his cars, then I'd be willing to bet we're not going to be happy with that detail either.

Now....can these pipes be made functional by a new owner? Yes, I'm thinkin' they can. From what I understand, the exhaust pipes are routed just under the existing side pipes down each side of the car. Again, I'd be willing to bet that some crafty person with a little welding knowledge and a Lincoln arc welder in their garage along with some mild steel tubing can make these side pipes functional in 8-10 hours.

BUT....like Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"

But believe me when I say this, the new Coupe is really one helluva car - functional side pipes, or not. If this is your only beef, then my friends, you have missed the point entirely.

I WANT ONE.....! Too bad I just bought a new Navigator...I'm not in a position to want anything else for a while...at least that's what "She-who-must-be-obeyed" says...but, I wonder if the Olthoffs will take a trade.

Lessee....the SPF, the trailer, the motor scooter, all four bicycles, some yardwork....maybe some painting on the side....yeah, I could swing that...
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.

Last edited by Flyin_Freddie; 08-01-2003 at 07:10 AM..