28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 351 SVO #046
Not Ranked     

Enough about the sidepipes! What engine/tranny options is Superformance offering in the Brock Coupe. You guys may have already discussed it, but by skimming through the replies, I didn't notice to much talk about engine/tranny options. I believe the originals ran 289's. What is the out the door price (turnkey) going to be?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1649, Steel Gray with Silver stripes 427W/565hp stroker from Performance engineering
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona Price

The turnkey price, that is, completed car minus engine and transmission is $63,800.

To that you can add whatever price you come up with for eng and trans. Safely add $18-22,000 at least. You probably need to talk to somebody like Eric at Performance Engineering in Ross, Ohio.
Louisville, KY 40217

502-635-5711

juanlb@lbrllc.net
Old 08-04-2003, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rumor has it the A arms in back extend quite deep toward the middle of the car, indeed, what kind of IRS rear end etc. is this thing running?

18-22K for a motor and trans? Heck, a "donor" Mustang and your "in" for under $5K, lol.

Ernie
Old 08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

you buy the car, you can put whatever engine you want in it. But the "OEM" motor for the Coupe is i belive a 410 CI stroked Windsor by Roush Racing. I believe the rear is the 8.8 inch IRS used in the roadster SPF's, the one from the old Ford Thunderbird SC car, aluminum diff housing, with custom axles. But the pickups for the rear A Arms are much closer to the car's centerline. Transmission is the six speed T-56, although i don't know what the internal gearing is for this application, as several different gear sets are available for this Tremec. My guess is the fifth is .80 and sixth is .62, but again, i am not sure.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I heard the coupe was only going to have Roush motors (small block 351 based) as because of the way the engine is placed in the vehicle, there is some special decking done on it. Big one is suppose to be the new 402 small block stroker Roush has with the TWM electronic fuel injection, that is suppose to be ready this September. Don't know for sure, but that is what a good source told me!
Old 08-04-2003, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Coupe utilizes a BTR/DANA Hydratrac Diff. This is, I believe an Austrialian piece tht GM uses in their new GTO.

I spent over a week in south Africa with Pete Brock doing the final testing and Critique of our Coupe. I promised to remain silent as to not spoil the indroduction. Seems someone else had a spoiler in mind. This was to be Pete's deal with the press and all the pictures.

As for all you guys second guessing and throwing in your two cents about the wheels and exhaust, rest assured there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. This car is well thought out and proven. Unless your name is Zora Duntov, or Ferdinand Porsche, don't go there, believe me this car works. Ever try to tell Paul Prudhomme the best way to blacken Red fish? Hey Mario, don't you think you should slide that car around the turns more?

After a rigorious 3 days testing and Photo shoot at the Shamwari Game reserve I was honored to sit shotgun with Jimmy Price driving back to the factory in the Coupe. Jimmy recounted his first meeting with Pete Brock, when Pete explained that he had been approached by many about building a Coupe. Pete politely let Jimmy know that he was not willing to put his name on Jimmy's project. To which Jimmy said, "well that's that. I am not prepared to do it without you, so I'm done wih the Coupe. I will not compromise anywhere. This was to be an "ALL or NOTHING" deal, no compromise from start to finish. Without you it's a NOTHING"

Obviously Pete reconsidered, and I am here to tell you, this is a no compromise car. The tire size alone that was dictated by the chassis suspension design of the late Bob Negsted in concert with Pete almost killed the project. Jimmy wanted the original look of the smaller wheels, Bob and Pete demanded it be a 200 MPH car with all the necessary details. The wheels had to be 18", the off-set of the rims was a definate for proper track etc., there was to be no compromise, Bob and Pete agreed "Jimmy, you can do what you like with the looks of the wheels, as long as it is the right size and off-set. Now we need a company to make us a tire in the size we need." The tire issue almost killed the project as it took two years to finalize a tire that would work without compromise. Seems Jimmy said the Series one tires were considered at one time.

I'll not turn this into a book. I just wanted you all to know that there should be no second or third generation Coupes. I know that everything has been thought out and tested to where there is really not much or anything that will be needed to improve or change. I rode through roads that some 4 wheelers should avoid, I rode through a freakin' Monsoon downpour at over 90MPH, and not a drop of water hit the rear hatch. Pete was impressed as he drove alongside us watching how the water trailed of the body. Must be one of those aerodynamic things.

I must admit, I did find one little rattle. It turned out to be the pin on the fire extingusiher! Nothing a little silicone won't stop.

I just received some pics today of my demo car that is being shipped. Red with white stripes. Sorry I don't know how to compress it into a small file to attach.

Doug Reed
Old 08-04-2003, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford GT
Not Ranked     
Default Pics of Red SPF Coupe

Pictures of Doug's Red SPF Coupe are in my gallery if anyone is interested.

Beautiful color combo ... if I do say so myself
Old 08-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Doug........

Thanks for the insight. Definitely a beautiful car!! Any chance that Superformance will have one of the coupes on display at the Monterey Historics? I would love to see this car up close.

- Bill -
Old 08-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Answered my own question......

Just re-read an issue of AutoWeek last night, and it said the car would be at Reno's Hot August Nights....and at the Monterey Historics.

- Bill -
Old 08-05-2003, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Red w/White Sripes, 427 SO, 4 speed Top Loader
Not Ranked     

Just to set the record straight, the side pipe's on the car in Louisville were NOT functional. That is unless there were two Daytona's there. One functional and one not. Nice car for the money, didn't care for the 18" white wheels. That and the side pipes were the things I personally didn't like.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1649, Steel Gray with Silver stripes 427W/565hp stroker from Performance engineering
Not Ranked     
Default Daytona 18" white Wheels

Hi Rick:
I had a similar reaction to the white wheels but then Dean Rosen of Dynamic Motorsports told me that those were not going to be the final ones. Apparently they will be partly polished and partly painted. Otherwise the car was just awesome. I am getting one but just not this year. I will wait until they work out some of the kinks that may show up once the cars start to be driven regularly.

juanone
Louisville, KY 40217

502-635-5711

juanlb@lbrllc.net
Old 08-05-2003, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

I may have misunderstood how it was explained, and used a term with 2 meanings when describing the side pipes. It was my understanding from my close inspection of the headers out to the side and the description, was; the sidepipes are part of the system and then route back to exhaust (twin) that are to be cut through the rear underbelly to exit. They weren't hooked up on the car at Louisville(probably because of time schedule and are most likely done now), so in effect they are functional but don't exit through their tips, which are apparently cosmetic.
I also thought that a natural wheel with polished lip was a second choice.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bardstown, KY Cruise

Rick Bagley:

Are you going to the Bardstown Cruise this Saturday night?

I am planning on going as well as quite a few other Cobras.

juanone
Louisville, KY 40217

502-635-5711

juanlb@lbrllc.net
Old 08-08-2003, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2573 & FFR 3265CP
Not Ranked     

How much different from the original is the Brock body? Looking at pictures of the original, the shape looks odd.
Here is the Factory Five which is upscaled by 5% from the original.

Brad

http://www.drummondmotorsport.com
Old 08-08-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually(at least to my eye) the SPF car is more original looking. Since Brock designed the first one (2287) and I read somewhere that it was his favorite, I can see the styling cues of 2287. The F5 car has the windshield where it meets the A-pilar different,(windshield higher than the side windows, exact oposite of the originals) and the "hips" are blended into the sail panels, while the SPF car has more pronounced fender like the original.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nice looking coupe, Brad. I haven't seen any of these current FFR coupes, only the one I saw at Run and Gun a few years ago which I think was the same one that ran in that Car and Driver street car shootout two years ago.

The drivers side photo doesn't show any window, is there a roll up glass or? The passenger side shows a slidng type.?

Pretty paint and details. Congrats on a fine job of building a really nice looking car.

Doug Reed
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2003, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another pic from South Africa
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2003, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And another
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2003, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The quarter, sail panel, spoken of earlier.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

nice pic of you in the Coupe, Doug, but that superwideangle lens someone shot it with makes the sleek coupe sorta look like a quarter midget!!!

Gotta crank that lens out to a full telephoto to capture it it all it's stunning perfection.

I have learned never to take a picture of women with a wide angle lens, it accentuates, ah, the parts they don't like being seen too much.

hal
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War