Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     
Default Dog Training

i have always liked dogs. Real dogs, the kind that have the gumption to stand up to a marauding bear, or a coiling Diamondback, or get between the wolf and the settler's children. Why, i still remember Old Yellar, him taking on on the peccary hogs, like a good dog would. A good dog will never let you down.

I actually have a fine dog myself, half Weimerainer, half lab, kinda timid, actually, but faithful to me and the family, and who sleeps by the side of my SPF every night out in the garage. When Abby doesn't smell too bad, i even let her into the house to warm up or cool off.

But i have no use for little prissy yappy dogs, the kind grey hair'ed ladies fawn over, feed little tidbits to. I think a dog needs to rip gristle from elk bones, not nibble soft stuff from a can.

Recently had an "incident" with such a prissy dog. Hot day, stuck in traffic, the beastly Stroked Windsor thumping away at idle, and this car pulls up next to me, windows for some reason rolled down. This small, ferret-like dog climbs up onto the passenger's seat back, and acts all aggravated by my engine's crackling exhaust. All smug like, feeling safe and potent in its master's car.

So i gave a gentle blip, and the little rat dog started really yapping at me, all puffed up, barking up a storm. The driver, this older lady, was apparantly miffed at her pet's heartache, so she edged forward a few feet.

I did the same, keeping my Ceramic sidepipe aimed right at Little Lord Barky. Again i blipped the right pedal, more this time, and the dog just went nuts barking at my left ear. So the lady moved up a bit again, but i matched her, and then when the fierce white dog began it's most hostile barking at my car, i decided to end it right there.

I gave the Great Stroker a thunderous blip of the throttle, and the Peanut Dog just flipped all the way across the car, and seemed to disappear to the far side of the car, and i heard no more from its vocal cords. At that moment the light turned green, and hearing no more from the Lap Dog, i eased away, and gently motored away.

Now if she had had a real dog with her, i would have smiled and given praise, but for the yappy dog, it was cylinders 5, 6, 7 & 8. Came home, and scruffed up Abby's neck, and gave her a biscuit. I need to teach my dog to brush her teeth, though.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 09-08-2003, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427 C/O w/ Dual Quads
Not Ranked     

Got a Lab myself
I know exactly what you mean, Hal
McBlip
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Hal,
Do you remember the last time you kicked up a little dust and some leaves on someone with your sidepipes?

Now brace yourself to hear from the anorexic dog owners. You can handle it.!!

TURK
Old 09-08-2003, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Default We have had protection trained purebred Rottweilers for 18 years

They are a handful.. especially the males

But our home has never been broken into.. and I have watched an entire gang.. (a real street gang of 8 toughs in California) travel off a trail and shut their mouths completely when confronted by one one my hounds. They of course did not realize that the man and his wife were also packing major "heat".

When they were 100 feet behind us (and thought they were safe.. one said "man, did you see that DOG?"

A good hard core but well-bred and trained/controllable dog is a major asset and friend. But the care we give ours takes a lot of time too. Our female is in heat now and we have to move his "hooch" (cage where he spends nights and such) out into the garage next to my cobra, away from her so we don't have to listen to his "hystrionics" as much. There is a pic of my him, {Clovis) in my photo gallery. He's quite a bruiser {145 lean lbs and very graceful and agile} He's from one of the top world kennels of Rotties.. related to the 1999 Westminster winner. We are planning to have his pup eventually as our next male .
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 09-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Hal...You're not the guy who tossed that little dog into traffic a few years ago, are you...?
Old 09-08-2003, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good job Hal...that's right up there with setting off car alarms!

Rich
2300lb snake
150lb dog
Old 09-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Setting of car alarms!!! My favorite!

Ernie
Old 09-08-2003, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Our black Lab, Buddy, grew up on these pages. He's now a 110 lb athelete who loves nothing more than running from one side of our yard to gain height and distance as he flies into the pool from the diving board. Don't know how many times I've been in the pool and turned around only to see nothing but his huge chest coming at me through the air. He loves to eat firewood. Docile to his family, the bark and growl from hell if he doesn't know you.

I've been up here in Yosemite for the last two days for a seminar...giving rides to clients and prospective clients every morning. No sightings of Big Foot during my time here...so I'm pretty sure the Thumper scared the rascal away. One problem though--Half Dome just fell.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I own an former search and rescue German Shepard. He recently had a minor stroke (age 12) but those full size dogs are a great deterrent to anyone contemplating a break in.

I had a friend who had a well trained Shepard who was confronted by a intruder. The "would be" bad guy hit the dog on the head with a piece of pipe. He didn't hit hard enough, though. In the process, the dog literally tore the guy's achilles and calf muscle out of his leg. No more burglaries for this guy. He is using a walker for the next forty years.

The great thing about dogs as a deterrent is that people don't know how to anticipate how a dog will fight; hence, how do you go about defending against them? If a dog like mine or Jamo's puts one bite into you, it is going to be a case of the big hurt.

Some people think that because they are two to three times the size of a dog, they can easily defend against one. What people forget is that a well trained guard dog will have you on your back in no time. All leverage is lost.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a great Boxer, named Elvis, only about 75 lbs but all muscle, just playing with him he is overpowering at times and I am 6' and 285lbs, I can't imagine him being pi$$ed off and serious, he is a wonderful part of our family and keeps my feet warm at night eats just like we do!! He is my buddy!!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 'Greyhound snacks'

Are what me and the Mrs refer to those damn little dogs as. Unfortunately, we had to put Micah down last month due to mouth cancer (guess he was busy smoking all day ).

Will get another one, but now we're searching for a Dobie.

David
Old 09-09-2003, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

,,,,,,,,,I'm looking for a good doobie myself.

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-09-2003 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Angry Arrest Hal

That could cruelty to animals there Hal. Should have been more responsible.

My method of teaching a yappy dog to be quiet involves electricity. Oh the many happy hours of dog training.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie......
Old 09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hal
I thought this story was going to be about my ex.
Great story
Old 09-09-2003, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

I have been partial to dogs ever since i was a kid, we got a mongral dog when i was in the third grade, that faithful dog was still watching after my folks when i came back from Vietnam. Had a great life, old Smokey did, the only dog we ever had in my youth.

It is interesting to read recently the theories about how dogs came to be "man's best friend" over the past 10K years or so. It is thought that dogs are absolutely tops of all animials at sensing their master's moods, even compared to chimps, and of course the Ever Clueless Cats.

We have had our dog now for about five years, and i can sure understand how folks can get attached to such an ever trusting, ever faithful animal. Unlike some women, who will often let us menfolk down, (see first wife), a dog is a true friend for life.

We actually have a cat for daughter Becky, and boy, cats have no loyalty at all. Cats are the most conceited animals God ever created.

Just read about a dog in England, it's disabled master fell in the tub, was there for five days, his dog brought him things to drink, and finally managed to get help for him. And many years ago, my cousins in Fla really were saved from a great Diamondback by the intervention of the pet dog. Cats would never think to help out.

Cats are faithless, dogs truly are man's best friend. If you were setting out with the Donner Party in 1848, or some other long wagon trip to the Promised Land, would you have taken your dog or the family cat? Besides, if things are really tough, you can always eat the dog.

Here's one to Abby, our family dog.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 09-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Ed Digges
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #328 w/ 390FE
Not Ranked     

Cal, Please don't eat Abby. I have to agree. I've had my Choc Lab for over 10 years now. She still acts like a 4 year old. Dogs are the best for kids too. They are the best cleaner uppers.

Catch ya later
Ed
Old 09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock ,350 chevy, jag axles
Not Ranked     

dogs are great, if they have a heart; they donīt need to be big. We have both, a Jack Russell terrier and a czech wolf, which ist 60% german shepherd and 40% wolf - well, most of the time she looks and behaves like a wolf. I wouldnīt mess with either of them, the big one got teeth that could bite your hand off, and the little one is all muscles, with a heart double the size of his body; heīs afraid of nothing. Normally they are very friendly to everybody, but If someone would attack my wife or me, they will fight till the last drops of blood (prob. those of the agressor).

This is a mans world, but what would it be without a cobra!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

Yesterday the appraiser came to the house and called from his car in the driveway. Our yellow lab Theresa was sitting in the front yard watching him but no barks yet. My wife went out to greet him and as soon as he got out of the car and approached my wife T let out some barks that would make Satan's hair raise on his neck. The appraiser asked if the dog would bite and my wife said she didn't think so. I would have said only if you do something stupid. Anyway he asked if Jenny could put T in the house while he measured the yard and Jenny said OK, showed him where the gate was, at which point Theresa decided he must be alright and met him at the gate wagging her tail.
I had posted a thread a while ago about small dogs and irresponsible owners where a dog came after me (in my own yard no less) and the dog is now dead from it's injuries I found out later.
But our 18 month daughter can pull, hit, push, lay on, and everything else toddlers do before you can catch them and she just takes it all, even offers to clean her up after a poopy diaper.
And this is a dog somebody dumped. Anyway, I am probably boring you guys and gals...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have one of those small, white fluffy dogs that old ladies like. He is a Coton de Tulear. He and his breed are a large dog in a small body. He probably weighs 14 pounds wet. He is very athletic.yet laid back. He is not a yapper.

He loves to ride in the Cobra. The noise does not seem to bother him one bit. He has his own seat belt and see outside in someone lap in the passenger seat of the Cobra. Regular car windows are too tall. In those cars, he just lies down. In the Cobra, he is free to look around.

At car shows and when riding in the Cobra, he gets as much or more attention than the Cobra.

You can like your big dogs, but do not assume that the small ones are all wimps.