LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2003, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK III
Not Ranked     
Question Big man in a Cobra?

Hello,

I have been looking at cobra kits for a couple of years now and plan to make the plunge in the spring. Have been to FFR and ERA to check out their products. Does anybody know which one is better suited for a person 6'-5" tall and about 300#? I have heard there were options with the foot boxes and such that would make it easier to drive.

What are some good sources for special foot boxes, steering columns with removable weels, custom seats, etc that would allow me to be more comfortable. I am not looking for a "period correct" vehicle, so I do not mind some modifications.

I have not really seen any in person, but I'm not sure I like the idea od a "stretched" body (longer doors, etc). I like the standard body and would not want to alter it's stance.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm new to the board, but it looks like a wealth of knowledge in here.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My personal opinion only mind...

If you're that large, you'll look silly in a Cobra.
Cobra's were designed and look best wrapped around the relatively short and non-stout.
The large look like large women who insist on wearing shoes that are two sizes too small and two inches too high for them. Just sad.

Find a car that is designed for (or was designed by) larger men, the Viper comes to mind. The new vette's are quite comfortable for the large also.

Again, just my opinion...
Old 09-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I don't agree with the size thing. Jamo is a big man and he looks terrific in his Cobra. Heck, these cars make anybody look good!

,,,,and I heard a red one was the cure for baldness, so thats the color I got. It's working too, the ladies never even notice ME, just the car. LOL

Classic Roadster will fit a big man just perfect! Give DV a call, he's got what your looking for!

Ernie
Old 09-02-2003, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     
Smile

Sit in a Superformance. The car really swallows you up. the frame is built around the seat, so it (the seat) sits lower than many that are on top of the rails. That and the droped foot box go a long way to making the car comfortable.
Steven
Classic Roadsters also uses this approach.

Last edited by Steve R; 09-02-2003 at 03:25 AM..
Old 09-02-2003, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I also am 6"5 but not "large" and fit fine in my Contemporary. I did have to go with an altered seat but I think you'll find it to be a bit tight. There was a strectched frame 6.5 inches in CA I saw on a business trip - I think it was a Johex at House of Cobra's in Orange, CA - you might want to give them a call. The front and rear were the same dimension but the doors/cockpit were strected and you could barely notice. Best wishes!
Old 09-02-2003, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default The seat is the problem

More than car length, seat width can be a small issue- the metal frame of the seat can dig in to your hips.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

thardin

Listening to Sizzler's comments is like listening to some wimpy-assed little sweet thing working as a salesman at Rochester's Big and Tall telling you what looks good...given your size, I'm sure you know what that's like.

I had my Kirkham built around me...several trips to Provo allowed the boys to do some things as it came together--moving the steering column up, moving the pedals forward and to the side, taking some stuffing out of the seat pads (Bob Evans--taller than you, replaced his padding with high density seat foam that looks great when you're not in it and squeeshes down when you sit on it). I still have seat tracks under my drivers seat--Kirkhams are sending me a plate to replace the tracks which will drop me down a couple of inches. Finally--there is the JamoDent--pounded the inside of the rear fender in a tad to allow the seat to go back further. Nicly done and unseen.

Some cars are bigger to start with. Screw the PC comments and go try some on for size--do your homework now. I'm 6' and on the far side of 300 lbs/Evans is about 15' tall or something like that. If we can fit...you can fit. BTW, I DRIVE my car--thousand mile trips, so we're not talking marginal comfort.

Oinie...thanks.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Fit

Big guys don't look right? Man are you going to get some ball busting

There are a number of cars with additional room. Classic Roadster being one. In fact, DV has one done in his shop right now for sale. Evans is 7 feet tall and fits into a standard wheelbase car. The guy I bought my car from was well over six foot and fits with no problem. My 6'5" father in law couldn't beleive the leg room.

As others have mentioned, there is a lot you can do improve comfort and fit. It just takes a bit more effort. How many people jump into a new car and don't adjust anything!?

When you are test fitting the cars, don't jump into one with a 5'9 owner who says it fits like a glove! I would be like OJ trying on the gloves. The car is adjusted for them. Find some other big guys that likes the fit of their car and ask for a seat. I am about five inches shorter than the guy I bought my car from and I moved the peddles, tilted the seat, raised it slightly and added padding that he had removed and I am getting close!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com

Last edited by rdorman; 09-02-2003 at 10:46 AM..
Old 09-02-2003, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

I think that Gurney looked ok in a Cobra.

I'm no expert.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

By the way, I may have been a bit too subtle in my remarks, and I really want to make sure I state my thoughts as clearly as possible.

Sizzler, you're an asshole.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

JAMO,

Shouldn't that be GASHOLE?

Don't let Sizzler get to your femine self conscious side!
Old 09-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Cracker

Nope...just went back and checked. He's just a common, run of the mill asshole. Some Gasholes are assholes, but not all assholes are Gasholes. I just call em as I smell em.

Me self conscious? Neither I nor my frilly side are. I'm quite proud and happy being a big ol sumb!tch driving my little Cobra. I look assolutely mavolous in drag when I do.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the
Old 09-02-2003, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamo

By the way, I may have been a bit too subtle in my remarks, and I really want to make sure I state my thoughts as clearly as possible.

Sizzler, you're an asshole.
That was pleasant.
I guess you have a short memory re: Computerworks post after the Hal Copple incident.

"asshole". That's a word you've been using a lot lately, more recently without even the $$ signs.

You become what you think about all day long.

Call me what you'd like....
Old 09-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Hi thardin,

...at least part of the answer has to do with what you consider to be comfortable or tolerable. Some people want to drive a Cobra so bad they'll do just about any mod needed to make it happen.

I've been helping a friend on this challenge who is 6'4-1/2. His problem is he has and extra-long torso so his head sticks up over the windshield in any stock Cobra.

We've determined that he can fit in a Classic Roadsters pretty easily, an ERA with seat mount/foam reductions and rasing the steering colum, as well as Superformance with seatfoam mods, and even a Unique with some mods to the seats and floorpan by mounting the seat deeper. Others like Jamo have great input on the Kirkham/Shelby cars... Any time you can push the seat back or tilting it more helps. The thing to remember is Cobras are not the most comfortable to begin with. In the end, my friend decided on a JBL for it's performance and functional reasons, and the fact that he can fit in one of these too... He and the other guy we are working with on the JBL are both 6/4 and 6/5.

It seems most of the manufacturers can assist you. Unique Motorcars Ltd. out of Gadsen Alabama have successfully built a few so-called Big-Boy cars for some Pro Wrestlers and Ball players who have been very satisfied from what I've read...

If there is a will, there is a way. Good Luck. Let us know what you come up with...

Last edited by decooney; 09-02-2003 at 01:00 PM..
Old 09-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

No need to call you anything Brett...it's always been quite apparent.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you let the posts speak for themselves, I think it is clear who is and who is not an a$$. All one has to do is be able to read.

BTW, there are all kinds of things you can do to mitigate the space issue. I removed my seat rails and you can go to a 14" or so diameter wheel if you really want. I run a 15" wheel and there is not a lot of room to apply the brake--but you get used to it and alter your driving style. Have also taken several very long trips and it is not such a big deal. It depends on how bad you want a Cobra more than anything else.

Last edited by bmalone; 09-02-2003 at 01:00 PM..
Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm 6'-5, about 240# and fit pretty well in my B&B. It has a lower floor pan that helps set you down in the car so as not to look like "Lurch" sticking out of the body. I also had the roll bar raised 2". I only have fifty miles on mine, just got it running this weekend, so I can't comment on comfort, but the grin on my face felt great . From most of the posts I have read, Cobra and Comfort are not usually mentioned in the same breath .
Old 09-02-2003, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster/428CJ "The Stretch Limo of Cobras"
Send a message via AIM to Robert T. Faust
Not Ranked     

You'll look great in a Cobra. Check them all out. Let us know what city and state your in. If your in CA around the Bay Area you can come by and check mine out. Let me know and we'll set it up.
Bob Faust
Old 09-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

How badly do you want to drive a Cobra? I'm 6' 6", 210# (svelte compared to Jamo, perhaps, but I do fill up the driver's side of the car) and fit fine in my SPF. Sure, I fit "better" in some other cars, like my wife's Expedition, but I really WANTED a Cobra and was willing to make some allowances. I also plan to do a little more fiddling with the dash, seat, steering column, etc., to gain a little more leg room. I took a week-long 3000 mile trip in my car and enjoyed it the whole time. I also take frequent 300+ mile day trips. I can drive for about 60-90 minutes before I need to get out and stretch, pee, eat, whatever.

Sit in all the cars you can find. Talk to owners and manufacturers. You can probably find a standard wheelbase car in which you can be relatively comfortable; if not, there are several stretched cars which you may like better. All that matters is how YOU like the car. Bill Emerson (check Cobracountry.com) custom builds beautiful cars and has built at least one car for a guy about your size.

These cars are too much fun to let someone talk you out of because you "don't look right". Sort of like a flat-chested girl saying to her friend, "Oh, that dress doesn't look good on you because it's too tight in the chest". "Uh, huh: eat your heart out, honey!"

Good luck!