Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

If you guys get some "free time", visit the Lounge and check out Kobra Karls posting on the flight in the fighter by a Sports Illustrated reporter... Funniest thing I've read in a long time...

Old 10-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Hey: What can I say. Its late, I'm tired and there is no spell check.

Oh well.

Luv ya too!

Old 10-27-2003, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Originally Posted by REAL 1

"Do owners of original Cobras tell people "no its an AC" when asked if its a Shelby? Don't think so."

Well, lets see.

Since the majority of "AC Roadsters" that were built for domestic consumption in the UK were marketed as AC Cobras (as evidenced by the brochures that survive to this day), the REAL answer is "I think so". So, yes, that would and should be an appropriate answer.

Curious as to why SAI had no objection to it back then. Could it have been that SAI's cost per car from AC may have benefited from higher sales both for import and export? Hmmmmmmmmm.....

All for now...going for Japanese.

Yours in Polish Mormon Roadsters...

Bud
Old 10-27-2003, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Thanks Evan!

I was somewhat perplexed by your lack of response to my incisive comment....

Someday, you too will learn that you can often say more with less. Heaven knows after listening to your dogmatic drivel over the past two years I have come to appreciate brevity.

Pat

Old 10-27-2003, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Just yesterday, cruisin' thru the smoke- and ashe-choked streets of Malibu, SoCal, when this older woman hung out of the passenger side of her friend's Cadillac yelling "I want your CAR!!!!". I just smiled and waved at them, then continued on my way!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Was trolling the archives and thought that this one, even though it's a moldy oldy, is still worth inclusion:

3 Cobras and a COP!!
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...ight=turk+cops
Includes incriminating photographs with armed police officers

-JT

PS: So much for riding around and blending into the background.

Last edited by LURK; 10-27-2003 at 05:23 PM..
Old 10-27-2003, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Hey, where's Jeff Frigo????? Haven't seen a post by him in quite awhile... Saw his post after the "Turk" photos..I'm beginning to believe that they do have more fun on the left coast...
Old 10-27-2003, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Russ Dickey and 'Leenie: We, as Cobra drivers, need not to stoop to a person's level with derogatory remarks or giving one "The Finger!". To the comment "Get a real one", I have found that the best retort would be to agree with the vocal masturbator and say, with a smile, "I wish I had a real one!", or "This is just a loaner while my real one is in the shop getting a bigger engine/Webers/louder exhaust!" This sort of response seems to take all the wind out of their sails, and usually shuts them up as well! I was, as a few of you remember, left speechless (imagine that!!) when some person referrred to my Cobra as "A Nice Fake!" !!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Edley-
I'm still of the opinion that the "nice fake" comment was a compliment. Obviously the guy knew enough about the cars to know that there are originals and replicas, and for him to say "nice fake" he probably thought that it looked very much like an original. Better than him saying "Lousy fake."

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 10-28-2003, 05:25 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Pat: Now thats MUCH better! Good work. Dogmatic drivel? I like that! You get an A+. What can I say. I fight fire with fire.

Bud: No, no, no Bud. Now lets be fair. Don't twist things. Yes I would think that AC roadsters made for domestic consumption in the UK would be referred to by their owners as AC's.

The owners of original Shelby Cobras here in the U.S. I doubt very seriously they refer to their cars as AC roadsters or Shelby/ACs . How are they listed on the Registry? As AC roadsters. Hmmm, I don't think so.

In fact if I remember correctly AC had COB vin #s and Shelbys all had CSX. Basically same car but different prefix. Exactly parallel to the Kirkham and Shelby difference of contemporary times.

If I bought a Kirkham from Kirkham I would refer to it as a Kirkham. If I didn't I won't.

So I guess the new "idea" here is that the only proper way an aluminum CSX owner can identify his car to others is by saying "Theres my Shelby/Kirkham"

Yeah. Ok.

Boy you guys never quit.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

Evan:

No, no, no. Not twisting anything, just stating facts

AC Cars built Mk II's and Mk III's for the UK market, and marketed them as AC Cobras. The proof exists in the form of sales brochures and other marketing documents.

Thats a fact.

Now, If you were one of those people who bought one of those cars originally, or had acquired it over the past few years, would you not have the right to refer to it as an AC Cobra?

Of course you would, and I am sure that somewhere in the world, at some car show in the world, some AC Cobra owner is doing just that.

The reality is that the tendency to minimize and trivialize the contributions of Derek Hurlock, Alan Turner and others at AC Cars is a relatively recent one, begun in the early 90's by folks who are creating, and living, revisionist history. The car is, and still remains, a collaborative effort. The owners of the true originals (the REAL 1's) know this.

A lot of things have changed in 40 years, and some have not.

In the 60's Carroll Shelby needed a high quality reliable source for a platform to install his breathed upon Ford mills into. He chose AC Cars.

In the 90's, he chose Kirkham.

Perhaps the greatest compliment of all....

Yours in Polish Bodied, Mormon Engineered, Ford Powered Aluminum AC Mk III Replicas........

Bud
Old 10-28-2003, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

God, why does every damn thread have to end up with this real vs. continuation vs. replica crap? This thread started out as very humorous, then took a turn towards "Penthouse Letters" (thanks Blackjack), and then it took the horrible downwards spiral into yet another battle of (nit) wits over real vs. continuation vs. replica.

Evan, as I am a fellow Carroll Shelby fan, I almost always agree with you, and I support Carroll and SAI with all their endeavors. But I'm getting tired of having to read through pages and pages of the same crap in every thread around here. Give it a rest and simply enjoy the fact that you're one of the lucky few who get to own a CSX. Do you really feel the need to continously defend the fact that you're at the top of the food chain in the non-original Cobra world???

Russ
Old 10-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Russ: Your right.

Bud: Go back and read what I wrote. You can twist all you want.

I wouldn't want to refer to my original Shelby Cobra as a AC Cobra for a number of reasons. Be fair. You are knowledgable enough to know exactly what I'm talking about so I won't waste any more time debating this because you know and I know there is a clear distinct difference between the provenance of the two, how the two are recognized by SAAC and those knowledgable in the Cobra community and the value differences between the two on a car for car basis putting aside any special cars with special history.

COB's don't come with the valued CSX vin # and the manufactures plate from SAI. Neither do Kirkhams.

In fact after AC/Autokraft lost the right to use the Cobra moniker I don't believe they are considered Cobras by SAAC either. Could someone confirm this?

COB vs. CSX. There is a difference.

CSX vs. KMP. There is a difference.

You know what I'm talking about. Be fair. Oh, never mind. I know such a request is too much to expect around here.

P.S. Sorry Russ.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-28-2003 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL 1

...so I won't waste any more time debating this..

OH, please.....promise?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron: I always thought it was impossible to have a one person discussion or debate.

Why is it I'm always looked at as the one who starts these "discussions" or continues them. If you notice I'm not responding to posts from myself. I'm usually outnumbered 2 to one on a good day.

I'll tell you what. I'll stop discussing this and any related subject. This will be my last post on the subject so all those who wish to put forth their views regarding the CSX, Shelby, SAI can go unchallenged when factually they may be wrong or mischaracterize something. That sounds fair.

Open season on the CSX has just begun.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'll second that, Russ
- Bill Cosby
Old 10-28-2003, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

So this guy asks if my car is real. I tell him no. "But" I say to him,
"I do know of a guy who has a real continuation car, I know it's a real continuation b/c his ID is REAL 1." So this guy goes nuts, he can't believe he is standing next to me, the guy who knows of a guy who owns a real continuation car. Isn't this a great recognition!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ya gotta egg him on, don't ya?
- Bill Cosby
Old 10-28-2003, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(un-thread-jacking, un-thread-jacking, un-thread-jacking.......)....So, What's the LATEST recognition your Cobra has had lately? While walking my dogs thru my neighborhood a couple of nights ago, I came across some teenage girls painting on a white banner with blue paint. I recognized the name of the team as the local high school. I asked one of the girls if they had their "Cheerleading Team Picture" taken yet. She said no, but soon. Well, since my Cobra is blue with white stripes, (natch!) I told "Buffy" that I HAD a blue and white car that they could take their pictures with. "Jennifer" said "OH, that Cobra that just drove by a few minutes ago?". I said "Yes, that's my Cobra." "Nicole" then said that she wanted to have her pic taken in the driver's seat, and "Amber" said she wanted HER pic sitting on the back, next to the rollbar! "Missy" then took my phone number and promised to call me when they were going to have the pics taken, and I said "OK!". We'll have to see what develops with the pictures........Hopefully there will be some MILFs involved..............(All names have been changed to protect their innocence!)

Old 10-28-2003, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

EDLEY,

YOU KNOW - - YOU CAN GO TO JAIL FOR WHAT I'M THINKING.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK