Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree133Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

The best one lately is my next door neighbor's kid, 8 year old Cameron. Cameron loves Cobra's, he has a collection of toy cobra's and of course I keep giving him more. His eye's light up everytime he sees the car or when I start it up.
Happy kids are the best!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Mreid, When she finishes with yours, ask her if she's ever seen Arizona in the springtime.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

At a Cars & Coffee last weekend two people asked me if my Cobra was a restored original. I explained the continuation series to them.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

went out for ice cream recently & my wife waited in the car while I got the sweets. an elderly man came over, looked the car over (ffr mk1) thoroughly & then told my wife how much he liked the car & did she know that people are making replicas of these things now?

Jim
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Sam Houston State University Auto Club....Club Choice trophy:

The club:

The car:

As displayed:

Just chillin' as the show was underway:

My GF and I had just sat down for a burger and fries at a Five Guys location in Huntsville in early August when a college kid walked in and asked if we were in the Cobra. We said yes and he handed us a flier for their upcoming car show and said they were all gathered in the parking lot of the adjacent Target store, so why not come over and visit soon as we were done eating. We did...were sitting around chatting with the kids, popped the hood so they could see the engine, when a city patrol car came up and lit us up....made us all show ID and stand off to the side while he ran us all for warrants. When that was all done he asked to speak to the "leader of the group", looked right at me (of course, I'm the old guy) and was surprised to see a young man step forward. Despite having permission from the management at Target to convene in their parking lot, and despite the fact that we were parked as far from the store as we could get and there were no other cars for 100 yards on any side of us, the manager had called the police to complain. It seems there were some other honyocks out there earlier doing burnouts and spinning circles in the parking lot and the management had mistaken this group of college-age car affecionados for that rowdy bunch. We were "invited" to finish the meeting and leave....which we did.

We hadn't seen them since, but we washed the car up and drove it to the University for the show. When we pulled in the kids all came running up to us and expressed how happy they were to see us. We paid the entry fee, which goes to the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization, and they guided us to a spot near the area where their raffle/donation tables were set up. We proceeded to set up our chairs behind the Cobra and chat with all the observers who asked us questions.

You can imagine our surprise when the club chose our Cobra as their favorite

Here's the old guy with the trophy:

The car is a daily driver, 8,000+ miles, nothing special, just the stock drivetrain from a '89 Mustang GT converted to carb. It was displayed in full street "patina", chips in the paint and all, including this one earned when the right side of the rear bumper came unbolted while I was on the freeway and the left side of the bumper chewed into the paint as I tried to get it off to the side of the road to figure out what to do about it:

It was a testament to the enduring appeal of the Cobra. Many of the older car buffs there were familiar with the history, even the kids in the club knew about Shelby's recent death and commented on how Facebook was just abuzz with the bad news. The "competition" included the newer tuner cars, a Viper, numerous 'Vettes (a 1962 "restorod" to numerous recent versions), a rat-rod, multiple vintage cars from an early Hudson up to a '67 Cougar in mint shape, a '57 Chevy tilt-front gasser, as well as many more I can't really recall.

Chock one up for the ol' Shel, fellas....he done well!!

[My sincere apologies for the size of the photos...I have tried 3 times to resize them to smaller sizes, and for some reason Photobucket insists on displaying them in full size. I shall continue to try to reduce the size so that scrolling is not needed, will return and edit the post if I am successful.]

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 09-22-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Great post, Dugly!

- Allen.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I got a "top ten" best of show but was paying my dinner tab when they were doing the trophys. I guess I like my food more than car shows.

Welcome to Dave Adams Motor Sports

Old 10-13-2012, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My Cobra was part of the local high school Homecoming Parade - I drove around one of the Queen candidates (1 of 5 finalist) both through town and at half time on game night. She won! By the way, the Queen is my Great Niece.

Notice that she purchased a dress for the occasion that matched the Cobra.

The Cobra was also a huge hit!

If you ever have a chance to do this sort of thing - jump on it!

Here's the Cobra, the Queen and her date at the wheel....

Last edited by bliss; 10-13-2012 at 08:57 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     

Just got back from a short ride, at a stop light An older gentleman and his wife Pulled next to me and the gentleman asked Sir is that a DeLorean or a vet.......... :-) ,
Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     
Talking

Best one I've had was a car full of teenagers pulled up next to me. One yells out ( Hey you own me of pair of Jeans: I crapped when I seen your car ). I laughed all the way home.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowsnake View Post
Best one I've had was a car full of teenagers pulled up next to me. One yells out ( Hey you own me of pair of Jeans: I crapped when I seen your car ). I laughed all the way home.
I must admit... while there are a ton of great stories on this thread, this is one of the funniest!!

Can't wait to find my Cobra so I can start to experience this stuff!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

I've been following this thread for about three years, since that's how long we have been working on our car. The car is not completely done, but it is finally inspected and titled.

The first real drive was to drop my daughter off at her drill team meeting as they got ready for a football game. Lots of shouts and thumbs up from the team as we pulled up. She was grinning from ear to ear as she got out.

Next stop was at Home Depot for some parts. Parked a bit away from the other cars and was getting out when a guy ran up and said he was sure I got this all the time, but would I mind if he took some pictures of the car.

Driving back home, several honks and thumbs up from other drivers.

Not bad for the first day on the road.
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Still building mine, so I was in the garage working on it with the door open one Saturday. I see the elder / widow across the street come out for her mail. We make eye-contact and she begins crossing the street making a bee-line in my direction. I'm thinking, uh-oh, here it comes, she's going to start complaining about how noisy the car is and when my Cobra buddies come over and park in front of the houses with their noisy cars, yada yada yada.....
I'm thinking this is going to get ugly and the HOA is going to be visiting me after we "talk".
She marches up the driveway and asks me "When are you going to finish building it?".
I say I'll be driving it hopefully in the next couple months and have it painted over the winter.

She said "Good, I want a ride!" LOL!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary classic w/ 454
Not Ranked     

I love reading the post's on this thread ! I have only had the cobra for 2 months or so and the wife is already tired of hearing me tell her about the questions and comments I get when I go for a cruise ! the last one I had, I was at Starbucks and some kid, maybe 12 years old came up with his mom and asked if he can take a picture next to the car for his Facebook picture. I just laughed and said sure, go ahead.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Racing photo shoot

I entered a contest recently sponsored by a local photographer, winner gets a free photo shoot of their car. Well, I won, here are a few of the pictures taken at the San Jacinto Monument outside Houston on a Sunday morning.

BigGuy and dcdoug like this.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

We have run a few rallies this year and won our share. Saturday, we ran the Santa Monica Sports Car Club's Targa Malibu Rally. I think we finished about 3rd place. But the important thing is, we had an amazing day slicing up all my favorite roads in the Santa Monica mountains. On one leg we chased (and passed) a couple of well driven Miatas going up Latigo Canyon Road. What a blast!

There is a guy who sits on Mulholland and takes pictures of cars and bikes passing by. He posts the pictures on highwayphotos.net and you can buy them if you like. I had to buy this one:

Check out SMSCC.org and come join us for the next event on Friday night. It is important to study the rules thoroughly before you get there!

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 05-02-2013 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Excellent Picture Rally
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Pulled out of the gas station the other day and got a wave and a thumbs up from a guy in a Ferrari.

I usually don't get that in my daily driver.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

JB,

Thank you!

It is funny what we see in a picture. There is no way to know if your ride height is right by measuring. You just adjust and try it and adjust some more.

When I started Solo2 years ago, I had the frame 4" from the pavement, front and rear.

On these rallies, we run some pretty rough roads. Sometimes, we fly over railroad tracks. After a few years of bumping up the ride height to prevent the frame from scraping the pavement, the frame at the front wheels is up to 6 inches of ground clearance and at the rear wheels is at 7 inches (unloaded). But, looking at this picture as we round a curve at probably 0.9 G's with a full fuel tank, rally gear and spare parts in trunk, and 450 lbs. of people, the tires are nicely centered in the wheel opening. Makes all the hard work worthwhile.

RS

Last edited by RallySnake; 05-20-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Last week I went to a car cruise, I was the only Cobra in the cruise, this guy pulls behind me driving a brand new Mercedes 360 model with the gull wing, one of the $250,000 models in all black. My Cobra is all black no stripes, he comes over to me and asks me "how much would you sell your Cobra for? I replied; "tks but it is not for sale", he gets back at me and says " everything has a price" my reply' well that might be true but my Cobra is priceless to me. The man insisted in giving me his info in case I changed my mind he wanted my car.
I was very curious as to how in the world a man that has the $$ to buy a $250,000 MB why would he want to buy "MY" Cobra. His answer, "your car is unique no matter how nice my MB is yours is unique and I can understand why you don't want to sell it...
I thought that was pretty flattering