Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

man you should work for them!
Old 01-11-2004, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Buzz-

On the money! I agree with you that the first or second rendition of the "evolution" series you just posted are the best. Not too cartoon-like, not too flat. I do hope someone at Ford takes note of what Cobra fans are saying here. I think the majority of us here are 100% behind Ford's whole concept, but find Daisy to be a tiny bit sterile if it is going to carry the "Cobra" name. The GT lives up to the GT40 quite nicely, and I think we desperately want the new Cobra to measure up, too. It's easy to be an armchair auto designer, and I'd like Daisy's designers to know that I, for one, appreciate their efforts. I just don't want them to stop where it is now. Keep it up Ford, you're getting warmer!

MT
Old 01-12-2004, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Detailing Miss Daisy

Guys, if the side pipes cannot be incorporated into the new design, we could shoot for faired-in side exhaust outlets. Al - I could live without the louvers on the side extractors as well. It's not faithful to the "old" Cobra but it lends a cleaner look to the overall design.
Attached Images

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 01-12-2004 at 07:03 AM..
Old 01-12-2004, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Conclusion

At the end of the day, after going through this little exercise (and thoroughly enjoying it!), I think the basic design and engineering behind the new Cobra is going to make it one of the most significant performance cars of modern times. The more I study larger pictures of the concept, the more I appreciate the details - however, I still agree with most that some minor changes (attached) could give Ford and Shelby the design objective they want and Ford/Shelby/Cobra/Sports car enthusiasts like us a car we would love to own. Thanks for all the input and feedback - it's been a ton of fun and I can't wait to see what the REAL new Cobra will look like.
Attached Images

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 01-12-2004, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Well done Buzz.....it's now a car I'd love to own.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can't tell for sure, but in order to get the pronounced curves
in the front fenders, it looks like you're lowering the hood.

There are issues with that, primary one being that the
engine barely fits under the Ford design hood now, without air filters on the engine.

Ford designers work with engineering and CAD files. You could
draw a skateboard, but if it doesn't fit the underpinnings, it
won't work for real life.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427 C/O w/ Dual Quads
Not Ranked     

Very Nice, Buzz.
At first a TT copy, now looking like a new Cobra.
What software do you use to make the changes?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Buzz:
Fantastic job. IMHO keep the side pipes in the small sponsons and add a set of true knock off wheels and spinners.
DonC
Old 01-12-2004, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

So when do we get to put this thing in the wind tunnel? Not that I care, if I did I wouldn't own a wind sucking cobra . I think the modifications definately put the car closer to a desireable Cobra "the real!!!" replica
Old 01-12-2004, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Buzz drawings comment

To “A SNAKE”: Thank you very much. Finaly someone sees that I exist…

I also don’t think that my drawings aren’t that bad, but it seems that (and taking the chance to look ridiculous and jealous, witch I’m not) we are only looking to the quality of the drawings that Buzz is making (and they are darn good BTW) instead of looking to the lack of character of the substitute of the Cobra…

I didn’t make a comment to “Buzz” drawings yet, because I believe I only could say the same as you: WOOOOW! Good job! But I believe it’s only plastic surgery to a design with lack of character and originality… And I think that the changes he’s making are not enough.

I really hope that Ford make something to change it…

Best regards from Portugal,
Ernesto Freitas

Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All things (and threads) considered, perhaps the best thing to do would be to send the revisions directly to THE MAN, Mr. Shelby, so that he can offer the creativity without stepping on Ford's toes. Put it right on his desk.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sizz, the fender curve was actually accomplished by lowering the door area slightly and bringing the line a bit higher over the wheel arch. I tried to the greatest extent not to interfere with the engineering aspects of the design. "plastic surgery", however it was intended, is actually a pretty accurate description of what I was doing
lol.
Thanks McCobra. Most of the work was done in Photoshop with some of the "fabrication" of parts and panels in Illustrator.
Don, many would like to see a set of real knockoffs on there , but I'm sure just mentioning putting them on a current car could get a designer 3 weeks in solitary.
Wind tunnel test results are good - I brought my fan right up to the screen and turned it on full blast; there was no sign of front end lift.

Brent from Shelby said he was going to show Carroll what we are doing here - I personally think it would be fantastic to hear his opinion along with some insights into his thoughts about a modern day Cobra and what priorities/objectives influence its design.

Last edited by Buzz; 01-12-2004 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Buzz,

I like your car much better than Ford's. I do think it needs a little longer, rounder rear end, from the rear wheels back. The large headlights look better, too. Great job!
Old 01-12-2004, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernesto, your drawings are great and though our opinions may differ on some detail issues, I sure enjoyed your artwork. As far as the lack of character in the new design - I felt the same way initially when I only saw relatively small pics or clips focusing solely on the profile. Early comparisons with the Cobra shape we all love led to an emotional reaction rejecting the new car completely. After studying some big, detail shots of the car, however, the engineering and detail work became apparent and in many ways appealing. I also realized in this little exercise that trying to create a copy of the old Cobra with changes to address modern impact, passenger safety and aerodynamic requirements could result in a poor caricature that actually degrades the original instead of complimenting it. They needed to start with a clean slate. I still feel that our recommended changes to the body need to happen, but instead them making the new car an acceptable compromise, I think it will be a great automobile worthy of the Cobra name. Check out some of the big detail shots on some of the links posted in other threads if you haven't already, look at them objectively and see if anything appeals to the artist and Cobra enthusiast in you. I look forward to seeing more of your work on Club Cobra.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. FIA #2088 1964 289 w/Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzz

Wind tunnel test results are good - I brought my fan right up to the screen and turned it on full blast; there was no sign of front end lift.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast 460, Performer Cam & Intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Carb
Not Ranked     

I had taped the "Rides" show and rewatched it over the weekend and here's something I realized. Ford went to a lot of trouble to impress Mr Shelby. I believe their intent was and is, with the help of the Shelby name, to try and catch another piece of the market. Ford is looking to Carroll to represent the masses as to what we like and dislike. He seemed thoroughly impressed with the finished(?) product. Can we influence the old goat, I surely don't know but I have to admire the efforts so far to do so. I am also sure they will continue.

(Sidenote)I don't have a demographic breakdown of CC by age but I get the impression that most of us are at least forty and a good chunk are fifty or older. We are already too old to create a NEW LEGEND so I wonder how much of the design was influenced by a younger target market.

Having said that, I think all of the talk here at CC especailly on this thread, both pro & con, has been very healthy and I hope that it continues and when all is said and done, we truly have a NEW LEGEND.

Personaly I like the early revisions that Buzz has come up with but I think the man we need to impress is CS himself.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think Carroll Shelby just might agree with our ideas about the new Cobra's styling. It was suggested that while he is happy with the overall concept, he does want a few changes - particularly, I believe, to the front end.
If we have any members in their late teens and 20's reading this thread - your opinions are important because Wizard is probably right about the target market. What are your thoughts on the new design and how do you feel about our revisions?

Old 01-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #122 (Sold) : Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition; 2008 GT500 Red/Black
Not Ranked     

I just hand around with the old guys...actually in our group in Texas I bet you will find alot of early 30's guys...I got into my first Cobra at about 27..

And the new one looks like CRAP!!!!! Buzz has done a wonderful job of capturing the essence of a cobra....SCARE THE **** out of the other cars on the road.

Matt
2006 Ford GT #484 Heritage Edition
2003 Hummer H1 OpenTop
2003 Hummer H1 Wagon
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

At a minimum, it does seem that a few minor changes to the front/lower end, and just a tad more curve to the shape and wheel flares would make a noticeable difference for future, potential, buyers.

Hopefully Ford is reading this thread. We'll see.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

I think we all owe a big round of applause to Buzz and Ernesto. Not only have they entertained, but both may have very well provided influence to the designers and will have had a part in re-creating a legend. I am amazed and delighted by what I've been privileged to observe and comment on.

What they have done is a pretty special thing to come out of a group as diverse as this.

Buzz, I like it a lot better sans louvers. It is indeed cleaner looking.

Finally, there is nothing I admire more than talented people who listen to the ideas of others.

Best to all,

Al