12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up What's the most EXOTIC car you've driven?

Another thread asks for a rare car you've seen. But what about the most exotic, exciting car you've driven other than your Cobra. For me, over ten years ago, my friend tossed me the keys to his Ferrari F40 and said let her rip. I put the key in and pushed the red starter button and the sweet sounding V8 came to life. We were on a race course and I could hear the soft tires picked up all the small debris on the pavement and fiercely flung it against the thin kevlar inner fender panels like a machin-gun burst. As I stomped on the gas and the tires hooked on the straightaway the turbos wooshed in at 3500rpm and as my neck snap back and my body was compressed into the racing seat, I could physically feel the blood from my forehead get sucked behind my head. As I approached the first corner I realized I was going in way too fast and slammed on the brakes as I turned. The car went around like it was on rails and I stomped on the gas again and the next corner approached and again I was into it too fast. That was the way the car was, the V8 screaming and the turbos whooshing and popping right behind your head. When I got back to the pit and got out of the car, my legs were wobbly and my hand was shaking. As I handed the keys back to my friend he noticed that not only was I shaking all over, but had this silly grin on my face and just nodded. That was one hell of a ride. What's your's?

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 03-04-2004, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Shin,

I did the Jim Russell driver's school in Formula Fords. Those little puppies are amazing. It's not so much the power but it's more the g-force you build up in the corners. After driving that, my BMW felt like a truck.

I also drove my friend's red Pantera. It felt very similar to my Cobra except it didn't have so much wind and noise drama going on. It was so easy to get into the triple digits and that was on the freeway in Las Vegas!

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 03-04-2004 at 12:29 PM..
Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ford GT-40 in the 70's. I tuned the car up and took it for a test drive. AWESOME ride, my memories of that are in color!

Ernie
Old 03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A real hummer...every day.

Looking forward to Army retirement and a nice 2WD snake in its natural environment--on clean, dry pavement!
Old 03-04-2004, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 AC COBRA COB 6132, 427 SC Side Oiler the last original AC chassis built for Paramount
Not Ranked     

Paul, I also took a Skip Baerber course in a Formula Ford. That was the best 3 days of my life. Don't tell my wife.

Ernie, the GT40 is even more of a tight fit than a Cobra. I know because I sat in one but how did you fit in there? And thanks for your nice comment on another thread.

C4 thank you for your tenure. Hope you're not in Iraq or Afganistan.

Shin

Enjoy the six pleasures of life: Good Health, Good Food, Good Friends, Good Sleep, Good Sex, and Driving your Cobra
Old 03-04-2004, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: nogotti
Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Smith
Not Ranked     

F/A-18C Hornet. Only about 5mins. with the stick in my control, but absolutely nothing else comes close. As for ground transport, Porsche GT2/ Yamaha FZR1000.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did the buck baker Nascar school at Rockingham superspeedway, and ran actually Winston Cup cars around the track for 3 days. And by the way turned in the fastest time of the 3 days, thank you very much.

Drove a Lambo Diablo VT, the guy who sold me my first Cobra had one, and let me take it for a spin. Great car but very crampt, and blind spots everywhere.

The best is my fathers 01 Mallet Corvette, I think he has about 150k in it and over 700 rwhp, mini tub, HRE wheels, Completely custom interior. Mallet claims it will run 225+, but needless to say we'll take their word for it.
(250hp shot)
802hp total
titanium\black stripes
Old 03-04-2004, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think my first drive and ride is still the most memorable. The car wasn't really an exotic, but it was fast. It was a 1961 Pontiac Catalina with a competition 421 NASCAR motor installed at the dealer when purchased new. 3x2 barrel carbs and a ton of torque. The car itself weighed in at 2800 pounds, swiss cheese frame and all. Three on the tree and a 3.50:1 rear axle. Pulled like a freight train up through the gears and was about as competitive as you can get in '61. The car was untouchable on the street in 1961.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I've driven Viper GTS's on an autocross track (Skip Barber)....also test driven a few....drove a 97 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo....actually I've driven gobs of Porsches...Drove a new Acura NSX.....hmmm...let's see....driven an SPF Cobra.....oh...and drove a Busch Series car (650hp) around the track at Charlotte....that thing was scary fast....
Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4853, Roush 451FE
Not Ranked     

When I was twenty my Dad had a Ferrari Dino 246.

While he was out of town I borrowed it while my car was in the shop ( okay from my Mother )

That night while coming back to my house I get T-boned at a light which mine was green another driver ran the red light.

My Dad comes back from his trip and finds out is beloved car is deceased. They did revive it but never the same.

That is the most exotic car I have ever driven and wrecked!

JQ
Old 03-04-2004, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Nothing real exotic like a GTO Ferrari or anything. I did drive a real 289 Cobra once. A number of pretty rare Corvettes like L88's and L89's. I drove a 1967 L89 Corvette (one of 16 factory aluminum head tri-power 427's) for seven years, a real one that is pretty exotic and valuable although it was not real valuable at the time. It was a turd when I got it in 1985, Pro Team sold it for $190,000 a few summers ago needing a restoration, probably worth lots more now. I literally beat the crap out of that car for years until I sold it in 1992. Probably put 20,000 miles on it but to the car, it felt like 200,000 miles.
I have had my vintage race Corvette at TWS a number of times.
Pretty rare considering that it was a very dominant race car in the late 60's. Do replicas count?
Old 03-04-2004, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1670 Stroked Little Windsor - Runs OK.
Send a message via AIM to MidOHasp
Not Ranked     

Drove a bright yellow F355 spyder once. Right after a '96 911 Turbo. It seemed slow, actually, next to the 911, but I've still never heard anything that can duplicate the Ferrari V8 at 8500 RPM.

A 408W through sidepipes I think sounds cooler, but not quite as pretty I guess...

Actually the most looks I've ever gotten in a vehicle were in a 25' private 'bus' called an MSV. It was quirky and futuristic looking, had gullwing front doors, a dome on top for DSS, and had a thundering 454...ahem.....Vortec 7400......hooked up to some 3" dual exhaust action.

It had wipers off a Toyota Previa, tail-lamps off a Grand Cherokee, and running lights off a Viper. Headlights were from a Freightliner or something.

I was delivering one to a photo shoot and the speedo was off. I thought I was cruising at about 72 or so, turns out I was cruising closer to 95 the whole way up I-71. I can only imagine what the OHP would've said/done to me had they been patrolling that stretch of road between Columbus and Mansfield. I got more stares from the people in the right lane that day than I've ever gotten before. I still laugh about that almost 6 years later...

JP
Old 03-04-2004, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not really super exotic, but very expensive. In the '80s I drove a friend's '58 Ferrari 250 Testa Rosa from the parking lot to the show area of a high end car show in Golden Gate Park. I helped him with the restoration and he told me he wanted to see what the car looked like driving into the show with all the people gawking. Who was I to argue
The car sold later that year for $4.2 million
I also got to drive (not on the track) his M-8F McLaren, Lister Corvette, and D-type Jaguar.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Who is he and can I be his friend? The only one I know of with a Lister Corvette is Vic Edelbrock.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Z06 Vette is not Exotic, but it sure was FAST!
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Who is he and can I be his friend? The only one I know of with a Lister Corvette is Vic Edelbrock."

Bruce Trenery?

Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Does a 4 1/2 ton hay truck with a hi/lo axel count?

From reading what everyone else is driving, I'd better get out more often ... and find richer friends!

Who is John Galt?
Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Yeah I drove .........

The Mach 5
The General Lee
The Mars rover
The Budwieser Wagon
OJ's White Ford Bronco
Larry Dixon's NHRA Top fueler

Yeah Yeah I drive stuff crazy!!!
(250hp shot)
802hp total
titanium\black stripes
Old 03-04-2004, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by SPEEDEAMON

"Who is he and can I be his friend? The only one I know of with a Lister Corvette is Vic Edelbrock."

Bruce Trenery?
His name was Bill Chizar. Unfortunately, Bill passed away recently from cancer. The cars were sold off one by one years
ago, and it is quite possible that Vic's Lister was
the one owned by Bill.
--Mike
Old 03-04-2004, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Green/White
Not Ranked     

A black Lotus turbo. Fun car! Not a F40, but will do!