Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Great Tire News!

I went by Foogert's Tires in Culver City today to get a nail taken out of my Toyo. While I was there, I told them how hard it was to find a set of "H" Rated tires to fit my Cobra. The very nice young lady at the counter took that as a challenge and started going through their catalogs. It took her about half an hour to come up with a new tire produced by a new company (in the US). It's called Maxxis. They have a model made for light trucks that's "H" rated to 130 mph. They come in a bunch of 15" sizes including 255/60/15, 235/60/15, 245/60/15, 265/50/15 and 295/50/15. This could be the street tire we have all been waiting for!

You can see them here: http://www.maxxis.com and the model is MA-S1 Marauder. They look pretty good, too.

I will buy a couple to replace my worn rear tires soon. But if any of you are desparate for a set of "H" rated street tires that fit 15" Cobra rims, go for it. It could be that our prayers have been answered.

If anyone has input on this tire or this company (Famous for bicycle tires) let us know here.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-01-2004 at 05:07 PM..
Old 04-01-2004, 06:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

You don't think these tires are made in the US, do you? Looks to me like just a US company selling more Chinese garbage. On their website, they don't address the "Where are the tires made?" issue, but they do mention receiving an award from "Shanghai General Motors".

Also:

Where is Maxxis?
Suwanee, Georgia is home for our newly expanded U.S.A Headquarters and warehouse facilities. We also have warehouses in Coppell, TX, Rancho Cucamonga, CA and Brampton, Canada. In addition, we have a technical center located in Norcross, GA and our overseas facilities are located in Taiwan, China and Germany.

Uh...no thanks

Old 04-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Please post when you get them. I will be real interested in hearing what you thought. I didn't find a lot about the companies automotive road tires but there seems to be a bunch on various dirt, especially motorcylces. Anyone have experience with their bike tires?

Just for interest. Has any one taken a look at where Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone, Dunlop, etc, etc have manufacturing plants? Problably every country listed. Even those cool big letter goodyears just came home from Chile. I remember when all the Japanese made was little trinkets and cheap toys, really bad ones to. If that isn't enough to make us think twice how about estimate that I heard the other day that at the current pace the Chinese economy will replace the US economy as the largest. I forget how long, something like ten years. Shame to drag this in here.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-02-2004, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

there are several appropriate sized tires out there, but several are stated to be designed for SUV's and such. I wonder if the tire carcass and rubber compounding of a tire designed for a vehicle that weighs 2-3 times what my SPF does would really be the right tire for me. I have decided to stay away from any such tires.

When i see that nice tires are made in such odd-balls sizes, i wonder why someone doesn't see the economics of building a spec tire just for us. I guess they don't see it as a viable market.

But i am leary of an "SUV" or light truck tire.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 04-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

You do bring up a good point Hal. The tires that come in our sizes are generally made for large vehicles. And they have the weight to prove it. Last time I checked some popular rear 15" tires where in the 38-42 pound range! Compaired to my Hoosiers at <22 pounds. The difference in the feel of the car was night and day. Probably much like the difference people describe when they go from whats is available in 15" to a ultra-high performance 17". Although I have never bothered to check the weight on the 17" tires. I think much of the difference was really that I lost all that unsprung weight and the fact that the tires while DOT legal amount to little more than grooved slicks.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 04-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Yep, it's a shame, but I've been BURNED too many times by too much shoddy Chinese (not so much Taiwan as PRC) crap, produced with virtual slave labor in a country hungry for our social and economic demise. Keep demanding Wal-mart prices and ignoring Wal-mart (lack of) quality and their economy will eclipse ours.

Hal,

There's gotta be a market for tires for these cars, especially considering the relative prices tire makers charge for motorcycle tires and the rate at which Cobra owners are likely to wear out tires. Perhaps an upside of having "too many Cobras" on the roads (see thread elsewhere) is an increased market for specialty tires.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by rdorman

Just for interest. Has any one taken a look at where Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone, Dunlop, etc, etc have manufacturing plants? Problably every country listed. Even those cool big letter goodyears just came home from Chile. I remember when all the Japanese made was little trinkets and cheap toys, really bad ones to. If that isn't enough to make us think twice how about estimate that I heard the other day that at the current pace the Chinese economy will replace the US economy as the largest. I forget how long, something like ten years. Shame to drag this in here.

Rick
FYI,

Most US Michelins (I know a French company) are made in SC and other SE plants. Michelin also owns Uniroyal and they are made in the US.

Firestone is owned by Bridgestone, which is a Japanese company.

Regards,

Keith
Old 04-02-2004, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow,

A scene from 'Kelly's Heros' comes to mind, when Donald Sutherland says, "Enough with the negative vibes"!

Look at it this way, you have anything else in the correct sizes that's tested to 130 mph? The dissadvantage to a light truck tire is the compound is a little harder. You do not get as much traction as a softer compound.

The advantages are: 1. The stiff sidewalls gives quick response to steering input. 2. They will almost "run flat" and support the car with very low tire pressures. I got home from a long rally with a 1 inch cut in a tire and a couple of cans of flat fixer. Just where exactly do you carry your spare? 3. The lighter weight of a 16" or 17" tire is usually offset by a much heavier wheel.

If you are really concerned about buying American and not supporting "slave" labor, why did you buy an African car?

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-02-2004 at 07:16 AM..
Old 04-02-2004, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

No kidding. It seems to be a disease in CC. Often, when someone tries to be helpful here and pass on something that might be useful, someone seems to feel compelled to shoot them down.

It makes many reluctant to participate, and that's a shame.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Not sure of the price on the "Maxxis", but there are TONS of name brand tires available with virtually the same specs:
Stats (in order) are in inches - tread depth, tire height, tread cross section, rim width recommendation.

Maxxis Marauder: 10/32, 26.7, 12.2, 9.5
Dunlop GT Qualifier: 10/32, 26.6, 12.0, 9.5
BFG Radial T/A: 11/32, 26.7, 12.2, 9.5
Goodyear Eagle GT II: 11/32, 26.6, 12.1, 9.5

No real height or cross section advantage to the Maxxis. For my money, I would stick to what works and what I know will be a quality product. Just my $0.02.

-Deano
Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Deano,

The advantage is the speed rating. Check the specs on the other tires you mentioned. It bothers some people to see non-Ford engines in Cobras. It bothers me to see lousy tires on them.

Another disadvantage I thought of: They're kind of chunky looking.

Another advantage I thought of: Assuming that they have a harder compound, they should last a long time. My Toyos have been on the car for two years now the fronts are almost half worn and the rears are 3/4 gone. But, the dry traction keeps getting better.

Maybe I misnamed this topic. It should have been, "This Could Be Great Tire News". I really want a 255/60/15 front tire. The 275's look too big there. Maybe you guys don't drive your cars enough (or as fast) to go through tires like I do? The Maxxis may be the ninth set of tires on my car.

The next Monte Carlo Rally is May 1st. Starts in Santa Clarita. It will be a 4 hour, 250 mile event, perfect for Cobras.

Tonight is the First Friday Nighter TSD Style Rally. Starts at 7:00 PM at Devonshire and Sepulveda. It's a 90 minute, 100 mile event. Tonight's rally is trapless, basically a tour with Checkpoints.

I guess it doesn't matter what tires you have if you leave your car sitting in the garage?

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-02-2004 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-02-2004, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you want come out to the FFN tonight, it's behind Bank of America.

Paul
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. If you'll be so kind as to reread the previous posts, you'll see this was your quote:

Quote:
a new tire produced by a new company (in the US). It's called Maxxis
The point I was attempting (perhaps clumsily) to make was merely that, just because the company is in the US, doesn't mean (as the company often would like to have consumers believe) they're selling a US-made product. I also attempted to stress the point that poor quality, which seems to be endemic among prducts originating in the PRC, often is a trade-off for Wal-mart prices. To me that trade-off is unacceptable. So is supporting the mainland Chinese government; perhaps for you it's not a problem.

Then you say: "A scene from 'Kelly's Heros' (sic) comes to mind, when Donald Sutherland says, 'Enough with the negative vibes'!", and end by taking a slap at my choice of cars.

You can assume the typical liberal politically correct posture if you like, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to demonstrate that Superformance cars are an inferior product built with slave labor, regardless of the continent of origin.

Yep, I drive it: 10K miles in eight months last year but not at 130mph.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Paul, good point about the speed rating. For someone like yourself that drives hard and goes through tires, they just might be worth looking into.

As for me, I eventually (no telling when - not this year - too much $$$) will convert to 17" pin drives and go with all the Z-rated tires available.

-Deano
Old 04-02-2004, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Lowell,

I got you to think and write, job done.

As a fellow Cobra nut, I hope to meet you someday. As far as my being "Politically Correct" or "a liberal", fat chance.

Paul

Last edited by RallySnake; 04-02-2004 at 10:54 AM..
Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, Paul,

I'll look forward to it. Perhaps at Spring Fling?

Dittos on the tires, just so long as they're not made in Ch......Ch......Ch...... can't say it. Please let us know how they turn out. I'll need some new ones one of these days. And I might even want to go fast!

Now, about that Chevy motor...
Old 04-02-2004, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

Decent tires for our Cobras: a topic we are all interested in. Thanks, Paul, for starting this thread. While there's a lot more to a tire than its speed rating, it's a step in the right direction. That cartoon was funny, but that guy better check his camber! I'm finishing reading a book, "The Racing & High-Performance Tire" by Paul Haney, and I highly recommend all people serious about their tires read it. I'm setting up my machine for streetable autocrossing and it has some great info that is assisting me. While the car came with lovely "correct" Halibrand 15" six-pin wheels, I have yet to see any high performance street tires available to warrant replacing my [barely adequate] BFG T/As. I have decided to buy another sat of rims and go with 17" A3S03 Hoosier radials for autocrossing. I'll probably play a little with these on the street, but not too much. Not to worry about rain. With no top, this beast gets the garage when the weather gets nasty. But I am blessed with lots of sunshine year around, so that's no problemo. Oops! With our new Governator, we're all starting to talk like him. While even Progressives (don't call me no wimpy liberal) like buying American, it can be hard to do. But you'll never find me in an evil Wal-Mart! Let us know what you think of those Maxxis tires, Paul, should you decide to get a set. Rich
Old 04-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

RallySnake,

Thanks for posting this. I'm always interested in hearing anything new on related sized H-rated 15" Tires for our Cobras. I spent several hours over a few months on the phone a while back with various Sales/Marketing teams at four major tire MFGs, just looking for future hope, and found nothing promising in the right sizes; and told it would not happen due to limited market demand for 15" H+ performance tires. So, IMO, until someone has actually purchased and tested the specfic tires you mention, I don't see how anyone here can really make a valued judgment on it yet.

Gee... nobody ever thought GoodYear Dirt Track tires would make there way on their Cobras either, but they have, and many people use them. Darn rock flingers too!

If anyone tests these Maxxis truck tires you mention, please report how it goes. Thanks.

Last edited by decooney; 04-02-2004 at 01:43 PM..
Old 04-02-2004, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Duane - I think the dirt track tires are WAY softer than what we use....they are also about $70 per tire cheaper. I couldn't see them lasting more than a couple of thousand miles..
Old 04-02-2004, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Not Ranked     

McReary (sp?) also makes some 15" dirt tires that are way too soft and sticky for regular street use. But who uses their Cobra for 'regular' street use that much anyway?