Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2004, 06:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Back on the road (finally!)...

This is (hopefully) the last of my three-part segment on my dying ignition/vapor-lock issue from several weeks ago.

I ultimately traced the problem to one of two sources: it was either the magnetic pick-up (a $16 part) on the MSD billet distributor, or a bad ground wire connection from the MSD box to the frame. I ended up having to re-crimp two connections on the ground wire. I plan to completely re-do this connection with soldered fasteners.

The MSD box was diagnostic checked at the factory (free - I learned it was still under warranty!) and it was fine. I ended up replacing the Blaster 2 coil, as well as the distributor cap and rotor while I had everything apart. At least now I have a spare coil on the shelf (I also bought a spare magnetic pick-up, too).

But one fixed problem has now led to another.....tach bounce. Never had this before, so I'll have to check the tach wire connections and go from there. All SPF's after #680 or so have the correct tach to work with MSD ignitions, so I don't believe I'll need some sort of ballast resistor. Lord, I can't stand electrical gremlins!!!

-Deano
Old 04-16-2004, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Watch out for the coil

I had a nagging problem that appeared to be "fuel related" but turned out to be a shorting coil. The Blaster was mounted horizontally and enough oil leaked out to cause a intermittent short.
Replaced the coil (mounted standing up) and now it never misses a beat
Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I have fought similar demons with my MSD Dist and finally I had my cCobra at Keith Crafts shop in Texas a couple of weekends ago. They found that the pickup was actually set by the factory with too much of a gap. Rob the tech removed my dist and loosened the two bolts that hold the pickup in place and moved it over closer to the rotor. Re-installed my dist and whalla Engine starts first time all the time, even when it is hot . I also replaced everything electrical under the hood just to find out that the coil, Dist cap, ignition box solved my problem.

Lessons learned sure get expensive.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"