12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 11:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Original 60s Shelby Team jacket in Sister's closet?

So I came down to visit my Sister in San Diego and she starts telling me about this jacket her husband gave her.... he grew up in LA and his best friend's dad was on the original racing team. So, I'm thinking to myself, okay, what are the chances of this being an original. Hmmmm. So, she brings the jacket out from the closet and I had not seen one before... blue, white stripes down the front left side, pocket, but no patches. During the discussion, her husband said he had removed some patches off of the jacket... so I'm still wondering yeah... sure...

So, we get on the internet and start looking for pictures and see where the original patches went on these jackets.... we start making comparisons and sure enough... you can see right where the oringial patches were. Flag on the right, Cobra with round corners on the front, and some small rectangle patch on the left arm. So, my sister thought it was a cool jacket, and has been wearing it around but was not sure what it is/was other than it had something to do with AC Cobras, and she likes it.

Its not for sale, but we would like to obtain original patches and restore it to keep. Anyone have an idea as to what the last one went for on eBay or other auctions? I saw on old thread from someone that said they picked one up for 2K years ago, and they are worth more now. Any details would be appreciated so I can pass this along to my sister while here in San Diego. Just found it really cool to know my sister might own an original jacket from the team... Your thoughts? Thanks,
Old 05-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
duane,

I am not sure what the original jackets go for now but they are one of the most sought after apparell items today. I saw where one with the grease stains and still dirty from pit work sold for $3800.00

You might try Cobra Restorers or brandas for the patches as Branda sells an exact replica of them. I have one of the replicas and it has the patches. I will trade it to you for yours without the patches.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-22-2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SO,,, let me get this straight. Your sister is like going to the mall and the gas station and such, wearing this Stradivarius of a jacket like any other "cool" jacket in her closet? Whoa!
Old 05-22-2004, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Yeah, she was wearing it to concerts, tying around her waist, kept falling off, so she recently decided to have it cleaned and showed it to me this weekend. At first I thought it could not be true, but after looking at the jacket you can tell its pretty old... stitches coming apart under the arms but overall its in really good condition except it will need patches; or maybe not. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

I think the last one on eBay was trying for 9 grand. The provenance of this Jacket will make it more valuable. She should obtain as much information as to who wore the Jacket and what years possibly even what Races it attended. If the Original owner is still living, A Letter of Authenticity should be obtained from him. Of course there in lies the issue of Compensation for such a Letter as he is adding Value to something That was his, that is now worth a considerable sum of money. to him, it was an old Work Jacket! Unless you can find original patches and thread to install them with, Leave it AS IS!! enough Damage has been done by removal of Patches and cleaning. that Jacket should be put in a Vacuum sealed storage Bag and held on to until you feel it is time to sell. The other issue at hand is just because values go up, Does not mean they cannot come back down. Strike while the iron is hot. One thing most people do not realize is that we all die sometime. The question I pose is whether or not You want to profit from your possessions or Die and let whoever it is that will go through your items Profit or possibly unknowingly dispose of your Valuable old COBRA Jacket thinking it is some out of Date piece of Moth Food! Thus the theory of One mans junk is another mans treasure!

Last edited by daltondavid; 05-22-2004 at 10:38 AM..
Old 05-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
This picture is from the Shelby-American Original Archives 1962 - 1965 book by Dave Friedman.

Last edited by Ron61; 02-23-2006 at 03:52 AM..
Old 05-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would restore it! Sew on the patches, etc. Hang out at the local cruise in's and have fun with it!

OH,,, and when your on the town try not to spill anything on it.

ENJOY!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Ernie,

They are worth more if they have some of the original dirt and grease on them.

Ron

Old 05-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

,,,,,then wear it when you change oil next time.

It's a tough call, I've bought several cars over the years with ultra low miles, old but in great shape. I DROVE them, some sucker never used the car and saved it for ME. I really don't want a car I would be afraid to drive. Oh I would TAKE an original Cobra at the right price, AND I would drive it. It would bother me, but I'd "disconnect" the odometer and DRIVE it (as I suspect many owners have done).

So what to do with a VERY cool jacket one is afraid to wear? Whatever you do, don't "save it" for ME or some other schmuck. WEAR it, FRAME it or SELL it. Don't hide it!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Hey Duane,
I have the exact patch(Replica) that is shown in the picture.Its been sitting in my living room since Christmas.............your welcome to it for i have no need for the patch Send me an e-mail @ sgianino@yahoo.com and i will pop it in the mail to ya Monday morning.Now you just need the American flag

Sal
Old 05-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
Its the vinyl one with the three blue stripes down the left front. Had a flag on the right arm, Cobra Snake/wheel on front over heart area, and something else on the left sleeve; removed. Sew marks are still there. Does not look like the one above. I'm away from home and don't have my books, but seems like there are replicas of it now days... I'll pass along all of your advice and feedback to my sister. I guess we'll leave it as is and not try to add repro patches on it. Good advice. She'll just need to seal it and store it up until a day comes where she wants to sell it or do something with it.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,
The history on the jacket is reportedly that it was owned and worn by someone named Jigs Garcia. He was the father of my sister's-husband's best friend growing up in LA. The only details I have is that Jigs apparently worked on or helped to build Cobras for Shelby... Jigs son John gave the jacket to Rich (my sister's husband) more than 15 years ago and Rich wore it in high school and kept it in his closet. That's all they can tell me about it. There was a family divorce and my sister does not talk with that family any longer.

It would be nice to find someone who can provide secondary authenticity verification on it; just for kix. It sure looks like the real deal to me.

Last edited by decooney; 05-22-2004 at 06:29 PM..
Old 05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

the left sleeve has a small double ford emlbem and a cigarette pack pocket underneath. it also has dark blue fake furry lining, plus the american flag and cobra wheelie hotrod emblem. ill post pics if i can figure out how.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Maybe this is the one he's talking about? There's a couple of them on eBay now. Big difference (in value) between this one and the previous one pictured.

Old 05-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Svobud,

Just how many of these jackets are considered as official team jackets. The only one that I have found in my books that says it is the team jacket is the one that I posted above. It was in the same book with the old Shelby Car Hauler that showed two Cobras on the top deck and a partial Cobra and lots of parts on the lower deck. It was one of the blue ones with dirt and grease that I saw sell at a ridiculous price as some crew member wore it at one of the races, got it dirty and threw it away. Also note the difference in the Ford patch in this picture and in the one you posted.

Ron

Last edited by Ron61; 02-23-2006 at 03:52 AM..
Old 05-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, SvoBud,
Thats the one except this one is a little lighter shade (maybe faded?) and it has a small nickel-sized round loop attached to the zipper for pulling the zipper up/down. In any case, it is fun for my sister to see your replies and how people collect and share information about this type of stuff. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

it's not faded, it's a lighter blue. same as mine which was given to me by a member of SA team. note cigarette pack pocket as well on right sleeve. made in usa RN53335
Old 05-23-2004, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Ron - I don't know any history on this type of jacket per se. I've seen it for sale over the years - as I think it's still being made or has been reproduced for quite some time. I don't have a clue if it was ever a "Team" style jacket. The first one pictured is reproduced by Branda (I have one) and it's a very true looking reproduction of a known Team jacket.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I would try and find original patches as opposed to replicated ones to reinstall on the jacket.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:50 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just got a genuine jacket with proof given by Carroll Shelby as a thank you at Goodwood together with a crate of beer
trying to add a picture