12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Worlds fastest Cobra

Well the late Dick Smith certainly had a fine Cobra and a great history!

I had a Cobra now owned by Bevan Wright in New Zealand, this car was Kevlar bodied (which actually counts for nothing) running an aeroscreen, had a 12.5.1 comp LS7 Hilborn injected Chevrolet 454 engine, supposed to be between 650 - 700 bhp, I ran an easy 7200rpms in top gear with a 3.1 rear end ratio on 335/35/17 tires, that works out at 175mph this car regularly achieved timed speeds on NZ (shortish) race tracks at 172mph!

I think Bevan has had 190mph out of the car since with a bit more HP and the car was still pulling strong and would rev through 7200rpm easily, with a 2.88 rear end and a bit of work who knows, but I think Dick Smiths speed record would be hard to beat in a cobra. The car I am currently building has 2005 Nascar engine technology with almost 700bhp, that and the lighter weight/size is why I chose a SBF over the FE due to engine developments since the 1960's and probably more to the point the modern reliability factor, but time will tell on that one!!

I have just about finished the book about New Zealander Burt Munro, "the worlds fastest Indian" Burt as some of you will know did 201.5 mph at Bonneville on a 1920 model Indian motorcycle with a much modified and revolutionary developed Indian engine, and the stories of his friends Ed (Isky cams), Donald Campbell and Breedlove etc and many others all for the quest for speed, or as its known the "Gods of speed" is just fantastic reading.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

David D

Funny you mention about the over exaggerations that some people claim. This past weekend at the WSCB myself and a few other Cobra owners got into an elevator with some guy. He said he road in his buddy's Cobra at 160-MPH over the Bay Bridge to SF. He got out at the next floor. When the doors closed the 3 of us looked at each other and rolled our eyes simultaneously.

Oh well I guess that sort of thing keeps the Cobra stories going?

Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Always remember: "Got a time slip?"

Speedos say one thing . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartlett
David D

Funny you mention about the over exaggerations that some people claim. This past weekend at the WSCB myself and a few other Cobra owners got into an elevator with some guy. He said he road in his buddy's Cobra at 160-MPH over the Bay Bridge to SF. He got out at the next floor. When the doors closed the 3 of us looked at each other and rolled our eyes simultaneously.

Oh well I guess that sort of thing keeps the Cobra stories going?

Mike
Old 05-25-2007, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Fastest in a stock body cobra

Mike I talked to Smithy a dozen times about his record. It is fact and done. The small caught was that Ken Miles was behind him at over 200+ and coming. Just like nascar, drafting makes 2 cars go faster than 1. Joe B also built a 700+hp motor to push the cobra that fast and they dropped the front end 1" to stop the frontend lift at high speeds. He said that the frontend still was trying to lift and the tires where just touching the track at the 195 speed. Even with an iron motor, a cobra can be an airplane if going fast enought. Rick Lake
Old 05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

I bet that opening in the front acts like a huge cow catcher for air. Definately have to add in some downforce if you wanna stay safe. Also short of tying the windshield to a roll cage I dont see it lasting at 200 mph. I know that Dick used a comp windscreen , How about Ken Miles?? Setting high speed records will always be about how stock the body was at the time. A little air dam on the front would do wonders but then it wouldnt be stock.
Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Carbon Fiber Body, IRS
Not Ranked     

March 2007. Dick and Heater Smith cruised for 10 days with Karen and I on our sailboat in the Caribbean. The happy AAARR stories were endless and Dick is the greatest of speakers be it one on one or to an audience of thousands.

I'll be brief and share one detail he told me. Years ago air vents were cut into the front wheel splash guards of #198 CSX 3035 and covered with a screen mesh to relieve pressure in the front wheel wells.

Last year Dick graciously asked me "you want to drive it?" The location was Willow Springs "The Fastest Road in the West" and I will never forget the experience. He showed me how to start it and off I went. Up to that day knowone had every offered to even let me sit in an original Cobra let alone the FASTEST one of them all.

I've made the same splash guard vent cutouts in my carbon fiber Factory Five, the same FFR that Dick did some test laps in at Run and Gun 1999.

Roger
Old 05-26-2007, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Worlds Fastest Cobra

Hey Roger, you have some great memories to cherish of a special person!

I am wondering whether I should do that to my car, I guess they will have to go up in the inner guard curve to do anything at all, but in my case exiting back into the engine bay may do nothing at all, with all the radiator air.

"Wild bill you have done a good job with the GT40 radiator reliefs in the hood area! I dont think I want to go that far, as I already have a larger carb hood scoop, which needs some ducting shielding to improve that! Some of the UK racing Cobra employ the Ferrari 250GT, three half circle reliefs in the nose, but I dont want my car looking like the opposition.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 05-26-2007 at 04:39 PM..
Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

No question Dick Smith will be remembered as one of the best. But at Daytona he had Ken Miles in his rear view mirror. Does anyone know what the overall effect of drafting @ near 200 mph speeds would be? Also was there any downforce due to a banked track ? Theres no doubt that when it comes to top speed and validating everyones efforts they do it best at Bonnie during speed week.
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default slippage

Excaliber, you wrote:

7600 rpm, 29" tire (allow for GROWTH, could be even taller at speed), 3.31 rear gear, 1 to 1 trans gear= 198. 7700 rpm is 200 mph.

You have to consider tire slippage. Remember, at top speed you hit a "wall" of air which refuses to let you go faster. Naturally, your tires slip, similar to taking off from standstill.
A tire engineer would be able to give a solid number: 5%, 10%, which surely depends on rear axle downforce.

Dominik
Old 09-01-2008, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Top Speed

In '68 CSX3339 was taken to Bonneville with a 750hp TP engine and a special fairing behind the hard top, otherwise stock, and did 221.3 mph (documented in the registry).
Old 09-05-2008, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoroom View Post
I heard through the grapevine that a couple of Cobras will be trying to set records @ the Salt Flats in the not to distant future. Should be fun to watch.
As for the question about Dick Smith's speed yes it was with a 427 FE on gasoline.
Don't forget Breedlove drove a coupe to 180 mph @ Bonneville with a 289.
Oh ya, Bonneville is at 4200 ft above sea level.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Always amazes me when Dick's run keeps coming back up by folks trying to run numbers 40 years later...

Lot's of stuff went into the speed achieved. Boghosian will tell ya it was his fantastic damn motor and Dick was just along for the ride. Dick would say it was his balls and that when you run for the championship, it doesn't what Joe gave him since it was going to be junk when he was done. Taller firestone tires cuz Goodyear was screwing with him, the lowered front, the vents, the long straight used in the Daytona road course in those days...

...and the Ford guys who said they had him clocked at over 200mph regardless of what France, et al said.

Having flown with him so much decades ago, I'd say them balls of his lowered the front of the car just enough...
Old 09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I asked Joe B. about that motor

I have talked to Joe B. about that motor, and was told it was MAGIC. My guess is about 14.5-1 in compression, AV fuel in the gas tank with 140 octane. Biggest cam that would fit and best flowing heads of that time. I bet there where Hemi valves in those heads for higher flow. The motor was iron except for the intake and carb. They wanted all the weight they could get in the front end. The motor was magic, but the nut behind the wheel had balls the size of King Kong and the rest is history. This is one record I hope is never broken. What's up with the FFR guys??? Rick L. Ps missed seeing that red cobra at SAAC in NJ. Hope it comes next year.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hey Dynoroom

Dynoroom, Hey Mike can you build a motor with 7,800-8,000 rpm range that will live and make about 740-770 HP with a big power band?? No blowers or juice, just brute power. The problem also would be the need for a full rollcage that is certified. Dick didn't have to have one when he raced. That will cause some drag issues. I think you will have to sneak up on this MPH. More of a punch it to top end and get out of it without getting too loose. Rick L.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You guy's know this thread is like over 1 years old?

Rick, yes to the power & rpm. You would want a great cage but it needs no certs. As for drag, the car sucks aero wise so the cage is no big deal.

If you wanted to Really prove your speed you need a time slip. If you choose to do that at Bonneville it would be a 1 mile average so no getting up to speed and then out of it.

Want to set a record?

Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Last edited by dynoroom; 09-05-2008 at 10:49 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

I seriously doubt any stock bodied Cobra roadster will match Dick Smith's Daytona speed of 198 mph, set at sea level, as Bonneville's 4200' asl will simply attenuate the power available. Now...let's try a run in Death Valley! What constitutes a record speed? Touching the top end for an instant or going two ways for a mile within the hour? BIG difference! Badger
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Pete...deleted the duplicate post for ya. Yup...gotta mix altitude with attitude. BTW, saw the trailer up close and personal in Monterey...is there a LSR for an auto carrier?

Mike...that was my point. This thing comes up every year.

Rick...Joe had two good arms back them...twice the motor.

Last edited by Jamo; 09-05-2008 at 11:13 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 brushed aluminum with Keith Craft 527C.I. all aluminum FE
Not Ranked     
Default Engine

The engine would not be a problem to do just need a car and someone crazy enough to drive it. I would even build the engine for this deal if someone has a good car and wants to drive it.
I might even drive it at Bonneville if the car was built right. Lets go set some records now. Any body got any ideals about this stuff and where we start. Maybe it could be a group project but would need all of the rules and class the car fits.
Also the head technology was way behind where it is today. The High Riser head and the Tunnel port head out of the box are nothing special and need the right port work and valve job to get the job done.
Bill Elliot went 208 mphs at Talladaga in a 3500 pound car in the 80s with 357 cubic inches and only about 650HP if that. I would say that the FE engines that pushed a Cobra to 198 with it weighing about 2500 to 2600 lbs with driver was more in the 600 to 650 range even though the aerodynamics were bad. No one had a 700 to 750 single 4bl 427 FE back then unless it was blown.
Let me know about the record program and if there are any takers on this project. Thanks, Keith Craft
Old 09-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I'm thinking you're right about the horsies, Keith...Dick said he came off the corner carrying a sh!tload of revs...the straight was the "easy" part.

Who to drive? Hmmmmmm....Ernie.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Me? No thanks!

Did I hear you say Boghosian built that motor for Dick? Dang, now thats some impressive credentials. Keith, seems to me I recall reading about Shelby trying dual fours on a side oiler at Le Mans in an attempt to get more horses. I'm unclear if the GT-40 ever actually ran that way or stayed with the single four when the smoke cleared.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-06-2008 at 12:00 AM..