Not Ranked     

So... someone do it then!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Gys,

Here's another one , don't know if it can qualify as the fastest but, it does look fast !!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150385275528

And you could own it.

Tony R.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Well, I guess this thread did not resurface in 2010, but here it is again in 2011. I am considering taking my Shell Valley roadster to Bonneville next year to try for the 150mph Club. The motor should be plenty (Brent Lycans 428 with tunnel wedge and dual fours). My question is: Has anyone out there set up a cobra for the salt that would not mind imparting their knowledge and wisdom to someone who has never attempted time trials? I need information about the roll cage, suspension mods, tires, brakes, ect. Even need such basic information as where to stay, how to set up maintenace area for my car,,,,pretty much everything. Thanks for your help.
steve
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

start here- http://www.scta-bni.org/
Old 04-01-2011, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mr. Bruce. I checked there previous to posting. Actually, the sanctioning body for the 150mph Club appears to be the USFRA. I believe, and I may be wrong, the SCTA santions the 200mph Club which I doubt I'll ever attempt with a stock 427 bodied car. I will get a copy of the rule book, but I'm looking for information that is not in the rule book or is difficult for an inexperienced individual to interpret.
steve
Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

The Dick Smith car (198) is scheduled to be at the London Cobra Show this year (2011) and they are auctioning off rides in the car. Should be interesting. The car that is being raffled is a replica of the Dick Smith car. I believe it is powered by a BB but I think it is unlikely it will replicate 198 mph. But it will be a way cool car.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Alot of small things make you go faster

Sminor Steve I didn't read this thread but common sense will apply here
Full roll cage that is certified
lexan glass if running a windshield
Biggest rear tires you can get to fit under the car with high speed rating
angle of the car with the nose just about on the ground
Belly pan for under the car you need suction to pull car down at high speeds
Tape all gaps between hood and fenders. front grill opening with a small hole
for air flow to rad. Same with oil cooler opening.
Block off hood scoop.
tape head lights.
tilt windshield back if you can, the more the better but keeping your helmet out of the air stream. This will give you more down force.
What gearing are you running?
I am not sure you have enough power to push your car to 150 mph. 142-145
would be about right with a strong 428.
Exhaust pipes, if you are running mufflers, go to straight side pipes and race mufflers. This will be good for about 20-30 HP on top end.
Alignment, camber about 3/4" neg/ caster low +1 degree. If you have power steering even lower. You need to slow down the steering at a high speed, way easy to over adjust.
High speed wheel balance on the car. This is better than on a machine.
Bearings for front end adjusted with high temp wheel bearing grease. recomend red grease like amsoil.
Grease all joints.
Here's the most important thing, after you are teched in car car and go to run DON'T try the 150 mph first time, run 135 mph and get used to the car.If everything feels ok, go to the 140 mark and see was the motor has left. After this if you still have power, try 150mph. At this speed, roll on and off the throttle, DON'T apply the brakes unless have too. Open area, nothing to hit. Stay straight. STAY SMOOTH. After run COOLING of car, motor, trans, rearend, and brakes. Cruise around at low speed of 40 mph for a couple of minutes, then open hood and use fans. Large light on dash for low oil pressure with cut off of ignition. Over fill motor with 1.5-2.0 of oil.
This is some of the high speed things that need to be done.
Safety gear with arm limiters, 3-5 pound fire system or halon.
Last thing, spare change of underwear and a cold one AFTER the day is done. Check every nut, bolt, fastener, and clip for being on and tight or safety wired.
Fill tires with nitrogen air. Reduces heat in the tires. GOOD LUCK Rick L.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RickL,
Thanks for taking the time to help me on this. My 428 dyno'd at the flywheel 533hp several years ago. The tranny is a Tremac 500 (will research to find the gearing ratio's) and the rear is a Ford 9" with 3.70 gear (it's on a third member set-up so should not be difficult to change ratios if needed). I am considering using a comp windshield (good idea, bad idea?). Four link rear suspension, modified Mustng on the front, coil-overs on all corners.
I wondered what to do about the front of the car..........That's going to take alot of tape, but I see the reasoning.
How do I know a certified roll cage from one that is not?
When you say big tires, are you talking about narrow, large diameter tires or wide large diameter tires?
I guess the big thing I am trying to determine here is whether I have the car for something like this or not (physics being physics). The car was originally mocked up for drag racing........I'm guessing this is something similar except on salt and a lot more committing.
Again, I really appreciate your guidance in this matter.
steve