LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Jack,
Great car.
I guess though that the sky-high value is more of a liability for someone like yourself who just loves the cars and probably doesn't intend to sell it.....or maybe you do
Get it out the garage and enjoy it while you can

Paul
Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi tech 427 SC
Not Ranked     

You wouldnt drive this million dollar car on the street for long once you noticed the driver of every other car on the road is on their cell phone!! I can hardly stand to drive my 70g hi tech replica.nobody is payiny any attention
Old 06-16-2007, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Is it illegal to drive and use a cell phone in the U.S.? It is here in the U.K. but there are still far too many idiots who do, so I take your point.
I just don't think I could bear to have that in my garage and not drive it
Vincents are starting to fetch big money recently at auction. A standard road bike sold for $165,000 a month or so ago and the Black Lightnings will probably get at least double that. I'm not claiming mine are worth that, but I'll always ride them regardless of their value.

Paul
Old 06-16-2007, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #243 - 351W stroked to 418
Not Ranked     

The problem with all collectible cars today is that the market is obscenely overvalued and therefore unattainable for all but the extremely well heeled collector - which means you aren't going to be seeing any Hemi-Cudas at your local car show anytime soon.
When you pay $5mm for the Super Snake (and another half-million to B-J for auction fees) this car is going into a museum or private collection. But it is as out of circulation as if it were destroyed.
There are precious few CSX 3050's out there in the possession of their original owners, and with prices being driven into the realm of supercars, I don't blame anyone for garaging their investment.
But it's sad that it deprives enthusiasts from getting near history. I mean - looking at a van Goch print is humbling, but it's not the same as being in the presence of the original.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     
Default Jack - I have your 72 Pantera

Talk about a small world.

Jack - I met you in Ft. Stockton 2 years ago. I have a 72 Pantera. I knew it came from Ft. Stockton. You said you had the only Pantera in the area. I'm from a small town myself, so I understand how you can be sure. You said it was originally white, but you painted it black. My car is red. I didn't think it had ever been black.

As I was driving back to Houston, I was wondering if the history of my car was correct. I knew it was originally white due to the white paint in the floor boards. I got out at a gas station, and checked some of the chips (old paint). Sure enough, it was originally white, then black, and now red.

You mentioned your Cobra while we were talking. You should enter it in the next Big Bend Open Road Race. Everyone would love that.

I enjoyed meeting you 2 years ago. I didn't get out this year or last year. Work has been busy. I'm shooting for next year, though.

The Pantera is doing fine. When stuff breaks, I repair it with either factory parts or suitable upgrades. I don't plan on putting wings or wide flares on it. It's going to remain stock appearing. Until recently, it was my daily driver.

Oh yeah, once the Pantera is 100% updated, solid, the way I want it, etc. I'm going to do a Cobra replica.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:19 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Jack, John,

Thanks for sharing your car with a bunch of HUGELY envious guys!

Lowell
Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

That is great!!! Thanks for sharing. We would love more pics, open the trunk, the doors, Now I am slobbering all over myself again. Thanks, what a tribute to your dad on father's day of all days. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 742 / 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Would love to see the inside of the trunk. Tool Roll? Spare Tire? fuel pump placement. hammer...whatever. etc. Your doing a great job and are already on my Christmas list.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Got an idea!
Why don't you pick a day and let anybody that can come and see it- do a little Texas style BBQ and that good ol hospitality. I am serious! I would fly in in a heartbeat.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default What a car

While out in beautiful west Texas at the Big Bend Open Road Race we looked up Jack and asked if we could "Take a Look". What a great guy, we spent over a hour looking, touching, taking pictures and listening to some of the best car stories. Now I'm not dressed to crawl around a garage floor but I couldn't resist. The car is up on blocks and I'm on my back taking pictures and studying this piece of history. I'll post pictures shortly. Thanks to Jack for showing us some genuine west Tx hospitality. We'll be back next year.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

WOW, talk about bringing a post back from the dead! lol
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

anybody have the paint code on that orange?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #656 402 SR TW
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibr8k4vetts View Post
WOW, talk about bringing a post back from the dead! lol
All I can say is thanks... I missed the original thread. Now I know what the guys meant when they said they got a showing arranged... what an amazing story here...
Old 05-04-2010, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

The car is spectacular...as Bill's pics will attest. And the owner has some great stories about the car. The part about installing that hideous carpet just to haul Carroll Shelby in the Alpine parade, only to be rained out, was excellent to hear first-hand.

Some may argue it ought to be restored but it really is an invaluable time machine as-is. Given that the CSX3021 Turner car is headed for a hood repaint and then off to a hideaway back east, this car may stand as the Last of the Mohicans.

Last edited by elmariachi; 05-04-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One of the best threads brought back to life ever. Just as fun seeing it the second time around as the first, what a treasure.

MTPOCKETS, I hope to see some new pics of CSX3050 soon!!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Pics

Again, I can't thank Jack and his family enough for allowing us to check out this piece of history and hear the stories attached. Enjoy the pics
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow
Old 05-07-2010, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, MKIII, Carbed 351w 400hp
Not Ranked     

Pretty sweet car, nice pictures.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Roadster
Not Ranked     

Geez Bill,

If I had known you guys were going to meet up with him while at the BBORR, I probably would have made the trip!

See you at Bob's Taco Stand tomorrow,
Rob
Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

In another "small world" scenario, a group of Cobra owners returning from a tour in TX three weeks ago happened to stop at a gas station to tank up in the small town of Ft. Stockton, TX. One of them, Fred Galloway, who was towing CSX 2270, wasn't at all surprised by a local asking him, "Say, what kind of car is that?" as he gets the question frequently. He responded, "It's a Cobra." "Well," said the fellow,"I know that, but who made it?" "Shelby American!" Fred told him. "SO," said the man,"it's a real one, eh?" And then he added, "I've got one of those." When asked about its number, he calmly replied, "It's 3050, and if you have the time, you're welcome to take a look at it, as it's no more than three miles from here." Fred and the rest of the crew were under the gun, however, trying to make the hotel reservations they had another few hundred miles away, and couldn't take Jack up on his offer. I met the crew later several hours west of Ft. Stockton and had to chuckle at the coincidence of 4 Cobra owners meeting a fifth purely by chance at an out-of-the-way fuel stop in rural Texas. Sometimes, reality is stranger than fiction. And Jack, the guys would have loved to take you up on your offer - how about a rain-check?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would like to hear a short history in your fathers words,from wanting a Cobra to buying this one,and how he still owns it.He has to still be proud of this beauty.