28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default What's involved in "setting up" the suspension?

I have a Contemporary with Jaguar rear suspension. I've often heard about guys having their suspension "set up." Once I have my ride height set, exactly what's involved in getting the suspension adjusted and balanced correctly? I remember reading a thread recently where a guy said his car wasn't really pleasant to drive, but after his suspension was adjusted correctly, it was a night and day change. Can someone walk me through the steps, what to do, what tools are needed, etc? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Toe in, caster, and camber. It can be done with lazers or string. I'm sure someone here can get real detailed. We used to do it with string on formula cars back when. It involved setting up two parallel lines just outside the wheels. Tire pressure had to be checked first then using a tape, measuring the toe in was checked front and rear. The rear toe in was very critical. A castor camber guage was used to measure those parameters. When one thing was changed it affected another. So on and on it went.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 07-07-2007 at 06:34 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Simple front and rear wheel alignment, that's all? I was assuming there were spring tensions and settings to be changed, maybe scales under the wheels to assure that there was some sort of set weight on each wheel, etc.. Again, this is all just a guess here, but I always assumed that it was more than just a simple front and rear wheel alignment involved. I guess I just though it was a lot more complicated than that. Anyone?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Start with basic ride height and tire pressure.

Front end alignment is a good start. Just like any street car, if the alignm,ent is off, it's tough to drive.

Then you have to align the rear wheels. Pretty much the same as the front, except no caster. Make sure toe and camber are correct.

Finally, you want to get your corner weights checked and adjusted. Having the car properly balanced makes a lot more of a differance that you think it would.

Once you have all that done, go back to the beginning and check it again. Changing one thing often changes another. It's a tedious and time consuming process. Generally takes me all day to do mine. But worth every minute.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

My Hi Tech was set up by Tom Barnard of Tom's racing in Vegas. It wasn't cheap. I think it cost about $600.00 or 700.00 dollars and can take 8 hours. This was set up far better than probably required for street use. Measuring corner weights isn't really required but does complete an alignment. Changing the spring perch on one corner also raises the car slightly and so off you go again. I can give you the number of Roger Bolick in Austin and he can run you through a basic alignment. Most big cities have someone that's a "go to guy" for a cobra or race car alignment. PM me if you want Roger's number.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 07-07-2007 at 04:45 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Set up

I do it for track cars in this order

Ride height
Corner weights
Cross weights
Roll center
Corner weights
Castor
Camber
Toe
Bump Steer
Repeat for bump steer changes

It's a full day and then some depending on how fast you want to go
Fast = Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey
I have a Contemporary with Jaguar rear suspension. I've often heard about guys having their suspension "set up." Once I have my ride height set, exactly what's involved in getting the suspension adjusted and balanced correctly? I remember reading a thread recently where a guy said his car wasn't really pleasant to drive, but after his suspension was adjusted correctly, it was a night and day change. Can someone walk me through the steps, what to do, what tools are needed, etc? Thanks!

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,
Thanks for the comprehensive list. Anyone know of a good book to buy that explains how to do it? Unfortunately, I'm not even familiar with half those terms.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Search for "Tune To Win" on Amazon.com It's by Carroll Smith and is a no nonsense approach to chassis set up. Or go to: http://www.carrollsmith.com/main.html
It was a bible I used for many years. If you intend to race it is an absolute neccessity along with engineer to win.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 07-07-2007 at 08:20 PM..
Old 07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Books

Carroll Smith books are great
Circle Track Magazine has great set up articles even if your not just going in a circle. Either search their back issues or subscribe.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 07-08-2007, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

I just had my suspension set up at a shop here in Atlanta. They have a table they set the car on make the adjustments. They are essentially a Porsch racing team and perform this process on their track cars all the time. Probably something you want to have done by someone who's set up to do it.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

At Lime Rock Park ( CT ) for the ALMS race yesterday, Teams bring their " surface plates' for setting up the race cars:

An alignment platform is an aluminum structure incorporating easily assembled components enabling the user to construct a level surface to execute chassis set-up on a race car. Chassis set-up includes:

Wheel alignment
Castor, camber, toe-in/out
Chassis rake (front to rear, side to side)
Wing angle
Total and individual wheel weights

The key to productive testing and a successful race weekend is being able to find a flat level surface on which accurate and repeatable measurements can be made. Testing can become very non-productive or minor damage during a practice session can ruin an entire weekend if you can't accurately reset the suspension. Indy car teams have long recognized these facts and have constructed elaborate surface plates which cost up to $20,000 and needed a semi-trailer to transport!

Alignment Platforms are also known as Set-up platform, Set-up rack, Scale platen, Chassis set-up fixture, or the English term, Flat patch.

http://www.advancedracing.com/produc...prod=platforms