26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can never have to much torque, becarefull with the 402r you might want to review the 402sr/tw on Roush website and look at the two torque curves. 95% of your driving will be under 4K rpms that is where you want the torque not 5500rpm's. Do yourself a favor and come up with another 2K and get the 427sr/tw or should i say $2,005, the extra 5 is for the depends/diapers your buddies will have to wear when you take them for a ride.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     
Default Track width

Cobra Rob,

The car side by side are not noticably that different. Ièm not sure how the track widths are that much different. The BDR is deffinetly wide in the rear but it looks very good. As for the ride height it is adjustable at all corners Ièn not sure if the SF is. The overall wheel base is about 2 inches longer by the placement of the lower control arms. As I said before this lends the car to have very predictable manners...For me even if i had the extra money for the SF I would buy the BDR...Mac
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Owned a BDR and SPF. SPF has every bit as much leg room as the BDR but the SPF has a wider footbox. I had to wear running shoes in the BDR (size 10) to be comfortable. I have no issue in the SPF with any shoes. SPF is adjustable at all 4 corners. SPF has refinements that are not absolute necesities but sure make it nice. For example BDR has a throttle cable that wraps and snakes around to the carburator SPF has a mechanism of shafts and pivot points. My Spf door closing mechanism not only ensures the door stays shuts they do not rattle. Perfect panel alighment from the hood to the trunk. It would be nice if you could find underneath shots of the BDR next to the SPF to see the differences in suspension. The motor mounts in my BDR (earlier) were a complete joke to the ones in my SPF but they never failed. The surround around the radiator ensures all air flow goes through the radiator, BDR not quite as tight, but it never overheated either. BDR uses refurshiped rearends or used too, mine always dripped a little from the speedo pickup that was never used. Hood scoop on SPF completely symetrical, look at a BDR head on, same with side pipe openings. These items may have recently changed on BDR. They are both worth exactly what they cost.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now that I am on a role:
1) Mota Lita steering wheel on SPF
2) Smith gauges. Rumor is they are not as accurate or reliable as the autometer but I love them.
3) Winshield frame is top notch with bewcat? stamped on it. I beleive they were the original manufacturer
4) E brake actually works
5)antisabotage paint on all suspension hardware.
6) drive shaft safety hoop
7) heat shields in engine compartment offset an inch from firewall to keep cockpit temps down
8) air ducted from the front of car all the way to passenger compartment, really helps in Houston
9) Heater, defroster, top, tonnea standard equipment, to be honest I wish SPF would offer the top and tonneau as options, I for one do not like the snaps or prongs sticking up on the flawless body.

BDR
1) Beautifull body with wide rear fender flares
2) solid
3) excellent brakes
4) excellent price

I would buy another spf for what I paid for mine and I would buy another BDR for what I sold mine for. Great cars you cannot go wrong with either one.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Madmaxx,

Good point regarding shoe size and compatability with the BDR and SPF. I wear a size 13 shoe and have found that a flat Puma driving shoe is the only shoe that I feel comfortable driving my car in. The basic New Balance cross trainer shoes are too bulky and wide. Piloti might work for some people, but I didn't like the feel.

Regarding the steering wheel. The wood (vintage) Motolita looks great, but the leather steering wheel is way to go.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (SPF2265) 482cu, Tremac TKO 600R
Not Ranked     
Default Bdr-spf

There are plently of differences between BDR and SPF most are subtle because if either one drove by or was parked in the street it's still a cobra.
However, if fit, finish and detail is important to you as the owner then go the SPF.
I also note that there is more passanger width in the SPF due to the shape of the centre console; now I can't recall footwell length but sometimes depending on your actual body size the width is important as length.
I have not driven a BDR but did go for a ride and I was impressed with ride and handling of the BDR although it was SB not BB that I'm used too.

Some details I have noticed are:
SPF has double skin hood
The air scoop and rivit detail are not right on the BDR
Detail and finish around the engine bay and proprietry moldings around the SPF create a feel of full finish, missing in the BDR.
No oil cooler as standard on the BDR
Internal trunk detail fit and finish superior all round on the SPF
Dash board layup and gauges look home built on the BDR
The seats are not as good as in the SPF.
The standard wooden stering wheel looks cheap on the BDR
I'm still not sure about the chrome side pipes as opposed to Jet coat on SPF
Old 06-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Side view comparisons of the cars (a bunch of them not just SPF and BDR).

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm
Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

...I guess BDR drivers are having too much fun driving their cars to reply...

I bought a BDR because I wanted it to handle. With more than 600hp I have never had a driveline problem and it handles VERY well. IRS was the way to go for me, realize I don't do a lot of straight line 1/4 mile runs. Suspension upgrades are available thru proven BMW testing that will make it a menace to anyone racing against it.

Fit/Finish/Paint/size/...- BDR continues to refine their product so anyone saying they owned a BDR prior to BDR #500 really doesn't have a good opinion as to how the new cars have changed. Mine is a year old and I wish I had some of the upgrades on the new cars. The footwell is small so it can fit a T-56 tranny without any modifications. With a size 12 foot and military boots on I haven't had any problems with pedals. The steering wheel was changed on mine to a non-wood wheel.

I can't tell you anything about the SPF because I haven't driven one.

Yeah, they may not look perfect like the "real" cars but look at those hand built cars, they weren't even symmetrical (ask the Kirkhams). Everything is not perfect on either SPF or BDR, but other than a few people that really need to notice the negative, they both resemble the car I fell in love with 30 years ago. I suggest driving them both and figure out what type of driving you want to accomplish, your choice will be obvious.

JWheaton- the side profiles are great, I never noticed all the small differences.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

As far as the cockpit is concerned, the leg room length between BDR and SPF is both great. I am 6'6" and although I had leg room in the SPF, the door hinge bolt in the SPF would hit my knee. I could not drive the SPF because I had to move my leg closer to the steering wheel which would then ride on the bottom of the dash. I had to go BDR because I had the leg room in width and length. In either car, I had to drive with no shoes. The SPF seat was hard mounted to the floor for additional length but I just had to many problems with driving it. The SPF is a sweet car though.
The suspension in a BDR is the best part of the car. Nothing compares to BMW in that department and a cobra sitting on top of BMW suspension is just plain sweet. MO.
I will be getting another BDR when I get another cobra.
I dont think you can go wrong with either one!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Rob,

I sent you an email with my phone #.

Mark