Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default BDR verses SPF

I am considering buying a BDR Cobra or an SPF cobra , can you guys give me some opions on what the differences between the 2 are
Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

What brings you to the decision to buy either one of those. List out your reasons for each and you might have a good answer.

You should also see if anyone local to you has one that you can look at and maybe get a ride in.

You will enjoy either one probably.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As an owner of a SPF and previous owner of BDR they are both the best buys dollar for dollar for what you pay for them. SPF cost about 6-8K more and it is worth 6-8K more. BDR cost about $34K turnkey minus and worth every single penny. There is no way an individual IMHO could ever come remotely close to the quality of either one if they added 10K to their build price.

SPF
1) Solid as a rock, zero vibration, high quality components, excellent paint, finish and fit. Extremely comfortable for cobra, I am 5'11 have the seat 3 nothes from the back and maintains the 90" wheelbase, love the smith gauges, solid as rock windsheild and pure refinement.

2) Solid, modern day guages, BMW components, love the fat fender flares in the rear, polished ss side pipes standard, feels lighter. I would say 1500 series pickup compared with SPF being 2500 series.

PM if you like with your phone number I can talk for hours, my back is killing me right now have to run.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

considered both as well. Here's my take...

SPF has slightly better paint quality, though the paint on the newer BDRs is getting pretty darned close. Wheelbase & general "look" of the car are more true to the original. Has more standard features than BDR, albeit at a higher price point.

BDR is a slightly bigger car (length and width), with a 2" stretched wheelbase that accomodates taller drivers better (cockpit is roomier). Finish quality is great, though is probably just a step below SPF. The BMW suspension is excellent, and parts are relatively easy to find if needed. Probably has one of the prettiest engine compartments around, with all the polished stainless panels.

either is a great choice...
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

One thing to remember, currently SPF have a rollback on the rolling chassis. This will give you a $5,000 savings.

Either way you go, their both good cars.

Mark
Old 05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I chose a Superformance and am very happy with it. You might want to check out the video at http://www.superformance.com/videos.aspx
Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does anyone have a BDR in the Washington or Seattle area that I might be able to look at
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Superformance recently had a special price of something like $49,900 including a Performance Engineering motor, and Tremec, installed and ready to roll. Pretty hard to beat that.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

I have a BDR and live in Bonney Lake. Not Seattle but about 30 miles south of there. There is another BDR in Redmond that I know of. Shoot me an IM and you can go for a ride.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Superformance recently had a special price of something like $49,900 including a Performance Engineering motor, and Tremec, installed and ready to roll. Pretty hard to beat that.
What dealer is doing this?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I pretty much concur with all the above. Consider the engine you plan to use. If you don't plan to exceed maybe 400 HP or so and drive the car reasonably, the BDR should be fine. The SPF driveline can handle more HP and more abuse, although there have been several broken CV joints on SPF's as well. If you're planning to put in a big motor or do any drag racing, I'm not sure the BDR has enough driveline.

The newer SPF's have an Australian (Dana, I believe) differential, with the flat style CV joints, while the older cars had a Ford 8.8 diff. The older diff's were adequate for most owners but easily upgradeable for better reliability with more HP; I'm not sure about the newer rear suspensions.

I think you pretty much get what you pay for.

Lowell
Old 06-01-2008, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2773 Ford Racing 427W
Not Ranked     

Cobrarob, Check out my Coast To Coast thread I'am driving SPF #2773 and have on problems. It's a brand new car. finish it just hours before we left , what does that tell you.I did what you are doing about 10 months ago and I'am very plesaed with my choice.SPF's look more like the real thing. 400 450HP is a great combo' more motor and won't use as much.We've gone 4000 miles in six days , I'ts been GREAT! #2773 Jerry
Old 06-01-2008, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

FOMOCONUT,

Rock on, keep the faith and keep driving!!!! I used to drive convertibles from Houston to Deleware, Clevland etc during school breaks in College. There nothing compares when the sun is just going down. I did have a carburator come loose in an old delta 88 and broke down, other than that I bet I logged 35K road trip miles with not a hiccup on early 70's convertibel cars with more than 125K miles on them.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Twister

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
As an owner of a SPF and previous owner of BDR they are both the best buys dollar for dollar for what you pay for them. SPF cost about 6-8K more and it is worth 6-8K more. BDR cost about $34K turnkey minus and worth every single penny. There is no way an individual IMHO could ever come remotely close to the quality of either one if they added 10K to their build price.

SPF
1) Solid as a rock, zero vibration, high quality components, excellent paint, finish and fit. Extremely comfortable for cobra, I am 5'11 have the seat 3 nothes from the back and maintains the 90" wheelbase, love the smith gauges, solid as rock windsheild and pure refinement.

2) Solid, modern day guages, BMW components, love the fat fender flares in the rear, polished ss side pipes standard, feels lighter. I would say 1500 series pickup compared with SPF being 2500 series.

PM if you like with your phone number I can talk for hours, my back is killing me right now have to run.
What Max isn't telling you is that he hurt his back playing twister with Heidi Klug at Max Mosely's party at Monte Carlo last weekend !!!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

Cobrarob,

Are you planning to Road Race your Cobra? If so I would go with the BDR. With its longer wheel base and BMW suspension components these cars have excellent "manners". Most cobras are a handful on the track except for the BDR. They are very neutral and predictable. As for the drive line there was a bad or lower quality batch of half shaft that failed but this has been corrected. There are more BDRs with 402 and 427 Roush engines out there with the stock drive line or just upgrade to the LSD.... Hope this helps Mac
Old 06-01-2008, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bartruff1
I could not take not going for a spin so I suffered excrutiating pain while getting in my SPF but once I was in it was extremely comfortable since there is not a huge lumbar support like my other vehicles. They now call me humpback, uniback, back fat with my softball size swollen lower back. The pain was just as bad getting out so looks like my spf is in sleeping mode for a month. I only wish I was at Heidi's party LOL or better yet fallen forward and caused something elses to swell, looks like the hydrocodene is kicking in again.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mark brye , I would be interested in taking you up on your offer for a Look and a ride if possible, How can I get in touch with you to arrange a meeting ??

What engine are you running as I noticed one comment in this thread noted the BDR is questionavle for hrsepower over 400 , I am planning to install a Roush 402IR , 515 HP

On another note how often do you get to drive your cobra with the rainy weather we have in the northwest , I know the cars are not the most practical things but do you feel you get your fair share of time on the road anyways , just wondering.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey guys , thanks for all the responses

When I was doing a specification comparison between the SPF and BDR I noted some siginificant difference , comments would be appreciated

The BDR is noted to have an overall width of 67.5 inches while the SPF has an overall width of 69 inches , yet the BDR has a front track of 11 inches wider than the SPF and a rear track on 8 inches wider , how is this possible ??

How is the front and rear track measured ??

Is the BDR noticeably a bigger car ??

I also noted the BDR indicates it is about 3 inches lower than the SPF to the top of the windshield , BDR 45 inches , SPF 48 inches , dose the BDR look significantly lower ??

Thanks ahead of time for any responses .
Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 559. 410 Stroker 72 block AFR205 Heads, Solid roller lifters, Comp Cams XR286, Eagle 4" stroke internally balanced with chevy journals, Oliver rods, Probe Forged pistons, Mighty Demon, Super Victor, MSD Digital 6.....
Not Ranked     

I have had 3 BDR's with two of them exceeding 500hp and one exceeding 600hp. Never an issue on the stock components...
TKO 600 .82 OD (Road Race)
HP= Enough!!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDR561 View Post
I have had 3 BDR's with two of them exceeding 500hp and one exceeding 600hp. Never an issue on the stock components...
AMEN... I am also running a 427 Windsor with over 600 hp & no issue with driveline components.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600