28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

If it were be building all over again, I'd start with a solid 351C for a 427 style car or small block 289 and build an FIA car.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 10-12-2008, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet, that's why I'm here.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
No one would know the difference between a 390 and a 428.
Patrick T is right, I would know so it's gotta be a 428 - or more.
It's the principle of the thing....

I just got off the phone with my buddy in Texas, the old Ford V8 guru.
He agrees with all of you here.
FE motor.

Says it will have aluminum heads, because iron FE heads worth a damn are impossible to find.
Add a stupid price for a good pair to all that extra weight, aluminum is the obvious choice.
If I built a 460 with aluminum heads, the price would start getting nutty on it as well.
Parts availability is a wash according to him, since everything on the motor will be aftermarket anyhow.

I'm thinking 9" axle because a good one will live thru anything.
Once I decide on what brakes and suspension to use, get the axle modified for discs to suit.

Transmissions?
Tremec 500 or 600?
Here's another sticking point.

I couldn't care less about close ratios, I want plenty of spread in the gears.
A crazy low first/reverse gear is a must if the wife is gonna drive it, I'll choose the rear end ratio to put top gear where I want it.

Oh, so many choices....

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.

Last edited by NeoConMan; 10-12-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Only my HO but I would never do a Cobra with a 460. Not orig. in any way, shape or form. would build with a 390 before I would use a 460.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Great, it's a FE then. Good decision.

With the rear end. A 9" will take all the punishment you give it. I live off a highway 15 miles to the city. I have the Tremec TKO with 331 gears. At 60mph, I'm running 2,000 rpm. Very nice combination.

The only thing I would do different is, to narrow the axles & housing to place my wide tire further inward, as once and a while, I get some tire rub. The appearance will also look closer to the original cars or like the Kirkham. I have the suspension just right for me now and will tackle narrowing the axles as a winter project.

For your Cobra, you may not have the issue I do but, plan the off-set, get the tire/wheel's you want and do some measuring for the rear end. You can also do the same for the ride height you want and getting the suspension set.

I made a solid shock mount out of aluminum and used adjustable heim joints to set all of the above and for ordering the length and spring rate for my new QA-1 coil shocks. If your interested, I'll send them to you for just the shipping cost.

Thanks,
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Just a quick point of reference...

The 460 (535hp) in my SPF is from the 1999 Ford Motorsports catalogue, and with 21k+ miles on her, she still runs great. I had her corner weighed a month ago or so, and she's 47% front and 53% rear with my butt in the driver's seat and 3/4's tank of fuel.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(Heavy sigh.....)

Well, I think I'm gonna go FE.
Who knows? It's a ways down the road for me.

Yeah FF2, that's good advice on determining axle width.
I'm not gonna go crazy with tires either, with insane width and no aspect ratio.

I suppose I need to look at a few cars and decide just how much tire looks appropriate stuffed in the wheel wells. I hate rubs.

I figure a strong motor will overwhelm any tire I put on it, so I might as well simply go with what looks and fits the best.
I understand many big brakes require a 17" wheel, so maybe that much is a given.

I'd rather be a gun-runnin' Right-Wing Nut-Job than a Liberal with no nuts and no job.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Chassis/body 1st, drivetrain second...

If it were me, I'd pick the chassis/body manufacturer first, then select your powerplant and size next. For example, you could go with a 427 body and decide FE, or an FIA style, and go small block, or go with something different such as a Stallion/West Coast Cobra and go 460, etc. Or, even something different such as configuration such as one of the new Cobras coming out that Shelby is building with an aluminum style FIA body and an aluminum Shelby small block in it, stroked, with plenty of HP and less weight. Some of the more expensive cars/kits typically call for a specific powerplant and configuration if you follow the mainstream crowd of thinking for specific makes/models/configurations. For example, you would probably only put a small block in an ERA or Unique FIA body and a big block FE in a 427 body car. Or, you could do something like an EM car with a new Ford powerplant in it and that might work for you. It sort of depends on what you start with chassis wise, and based on what you plan to do with the car, and most importanly, determining your budget and time schedule for completion of the car - then go from there. Good luck.

Last edited by decooney; 10-13-2008 at 12:55 AM..
Old 10-13-2008, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I say the following fully realizing that I'm a incurable and incorrigible horse power junky..

I originally started with a warmed over 428 FE in mine. It just didn't have the grunt I wanted... or what I was used to. My daily driver would walk away from it like it was standing still (502 rwhp 07 Z06). That was just not acceptable, to have the "toy" take second seat in the acceleration fun factor. I tried different heads, cams and other upgrades but the 428 still couldn't muster what I wanted. I ended up going with a 482" side oiler from Keith Craft, Pond aluminum block, CNC'd heads and a really stout hydraulic roller cam. I'm happy now as the Cobra's (narrowly) slipped into first place on my fun factor list. Keith is a stand-up guy and builds an engine that'll get-r-done for you too.

Dave
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Neo-
I wouldn't worry about bigger brakes, unless your going racing. These cars are so short and light weight, that you don't need big expensive one's, same goes for power steering. You really need to feel the road with a Cobra.

Everyone is different but, I don't like the 17" wheel, as they look too big for the car. I like to fill the wheel well with tire. If I were to build a Hot Rodded Cobra, I may use the larger wheels or, if I were road racing. There's not much tire selection for the 15' anymore. I'm thinking,... of replacing my Good Year II's with the billboard tires. I love the racing look but, I hear different opinions with these. Some say they are stone throwers and don't ride the highways well, being of bias tire construction.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmm....
Good food for thought guys!

This is ALL very preliminary, but I'm leaning a little toward the Lone Star kit.
I would prefer to stay in the 90" wheelbase and set it up for ME ONLY as the driver, but the flexibility offered by a little more cockpit space is a good thing.
Aluminum bodies are cool, but way too pricey.

I still hold a fondness for the 460 that may reappear if a good solid FE is gonna cost me $20k.
I'll gladly go aluminum heads, but a block is just too costly for the benefits.
On the other hand, a good iron block may be awfully pricey while a new purpose-built aluminum piece might not be so bad.....

Undy, I understand completely your sentiment but again I'm not gonna sink a ton of money in a motor.
I'm more interested in a big motor for torque and good driving manners so my wife isn't scared of it.
Big peak horsepower numbers at super high rpm's is for racing engines.
Been there, done that.
If my Cobra isn't the fastest in the world, I'm okay with it.
If I can make 500 hp and 500 ft/lbs out of an iron block and single carb, I'm good.

15 as opposed to 17'' tires is gonna be a subjective matter.
I HATE bias ply tires, they will never be a on a car I own.
However, these oh-so-trendy 29" low profile wheels with a rubber band wrapped around them belong on a new Vette or Homie Honda in da 'hood.

I want a car with good quality, original looking wheels wrapped by good wearing, readily availabe tires that don't cost $400 apiece and last 2,000 miles.
I'm sure I'll be smoking enough tires as it is!

Brakes are another place I have no clue about.
I'm very tempted to use off the shelf Mustang parts for availability and service.
I don't want or need exotic, budget-busting brakes.

I guess, overall, I want a fast, fun daily driver that the wife can handle with a little coaching.
I want to be able to get parts for it along the road if something breaks, for less than the price of a new kitchen appliance.

There will be enough oddball parts on it as it stands, I want to be able to live with the car.
If it turns into a huge money pit to maintain after it's complete, I may as well just buy an airplane.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For what you want (and it's a great plan) for a engine, a $20 FE is not what is needed. A good 390 or 428 will cost you under say, 10k.
email me about this concern if you wish.

Thanks,
Kevin

cobrakev@galaxycable.net
Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - 427
Not Ranked     

FE>500Ft/lbs, 500Hp, $6000...
Look here
Old 10-13-2008, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Check my gallery out. Picture of 460 before blowing up. Nice looking in the engine bay. Now I have 408 and runs great and looks good with some extra Levy goodies. Levy built me 460 from scratch and then the 408 in this car and a 347 in my first car.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the offer Kevin.

C6, that's a great article on the FE.
Describes exactly my surprise at all the new parts on the market for them now.
10 years ago, that motor was DEAD in the hot rod world.
My recent research shows a much different market now.
Who'd a thunk it?

So Fitz, what caused your 460 to come apart?
I'm still on the fence about motor choice, there's alot to like about the 460.

Last edited by NeoConMan; 10-14-2008 at 01:10 AM..
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Excellent book which includes the 390 & 460 , Ford Engine Parts Interchange 221 to 460 :

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s..._ID=2933&DID=6
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Micro crack on the block and too much HP; Pushed it once to many times. Had about 430 at the rear wheels right before it went over the edge.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoConMan View Post
I'm still on the fence about motor choice, there's alot to like about the 460.
Buy this:
http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...p?product=1641
Old 10-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique #9159 428 FE 614HP by FE Specialties
Not Ranked     

If you put the FE in your Cobra...the extra weight can be offset by moving the engine back 2" or so and tuning the suspension as I have done. It handles as good or better than a small block on the road course and you can't beat the torque and power of the FE...not to mention the AWSOME SOUND!!! Nothing like it. It's your choice, though, and YOU have to be pleased with it 'cause you're going to drive it and have to live with it. I'm not sorry I did what I did.

Tom
Old 10-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmareina View Post
It's your choice, though, and YOU have to be pleased with it 'cause you're going to drive it and have to live with it.
Remember, whether he buys/builds one at all is a "ways down the road." For 9 out of 10 men that means they will never get their Cobra.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Engines

Good, I have two engines for sale.

Help me get them out of the barn.

I also have brand new ARP studs and fasteners for an FE.

Check the 'For Sale' stuff.

PM me and let's make a deal for these engines and bolts/fasteners.