26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Who makes the better mouse trap/car?

Im looking to buy a cobra and have been looking at Factory five racing, Backdraft racing and Huricane motorsports.

Im new to the cobra world and interested in oppinions on who makes the better mouse trap before I place my order. Who makes the better frame, oppinions on IRS or sollid axle ect.

Still unsure of weather I want to buy one done or do it myself since I dont have the patience I used to.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Well I think you are in the right place to find that out. Be sure to give the search feature a whirl since the ground has been covered here pretty thoroughly already. I don't know the latest on Hurricane but your options might already be whittled down to BDR vs. FFR.

You gotta have an IRS in a "Cobra" ... there is no other way to put these on the street comfortably or correctly.

Best of luck with the search.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF Daytona Coupe #211, SPF,1037 sold
Not Ranked     

Have you thought about Superformance?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuchert View Post
Im looking to buy a cobra and have been looking at Factory five racing, Backdraft racing and Huricane motorsports.

Im new to the cobra world and interested in oppinions on who makes the better mouse trap before I place my order. Who makes the better frame, oppinions on IRS or sollid axle ect.

Still unsure of weather I want to buy one done or do it myself since I dont have the patience I used to.

Thanks guys!

Let's start off with the basics first:

1: What are you plans for the car, big block or small block?
2: How do you plan to use the car, street driver, summer cruiser, autocross, road race, drag racer?
3: What is your projected real time budget?
4: Do you want to build it or buy one already built?

When you respond to these we'll be able to assist you further.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-11-2009, 04:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
You gotta have an IRS in a "Cobra" ... there is no other way to put these on the street comfortably or correctly.
You are absolutely, 100%, no-question-about-it, spot on correct. You are so corect, that I view having an IRS as an indispensable safety option if you plan on getting on your car reasonably hard on any surface other than a flat race-track or drag-strip. BUT, others continue to delude themselves on this potentially life-saving issue. Here is a good "I'm a newbie and want to buy the best Cobra thread" that also deals with the IRS issue. Note Tbuttrick's position starting around page four or so. I am finally able to afford a Cobra Replica - Please help me decide on one
jbuchert -- don't let this happen to you. If you do end up getting your Cobra (and 98% of the newbies never get their Cobra), make sure you budget an IRS in to the build; it could end up saving your life.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I agree IRS is better. All the theory points to IRS.

I have a four link straight axel in my car. I bought it used. I have never driven a Cobra with an IRS. I had one very short ride in one. I cannot compare. However I can state that my Cobra is the best handling car I ever owned. I would say it is far from unsafe.

I do have to say from an engineering point of view, the Jag IRS design, where the axel serves as the upper control arm is as unsafe a design as anything I ever saw on a car. I understand failure is rare, but I don't trust them at all.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, being pretty self confident I would have to say that the car I built is a better mouse trap/car!! I know it's not for the purists but it has a beautiful, dimmensionally accurate body, a race quality space frame and the best parts from the 1997 and up Corvette. The Vette has great engines, independent suspension, brakes, ect. I converted the differential from a transaxle to taking a driveshaft and put a T56 transmission behind my LS6 engine.
Other innovations include ducting the air through the radiator out the side of the car, dropping the floor height by 3 inches over the standard Snake, and routing the headers up an over the footboxes so that there is a ton of leg room and the footboxes stay cool too.
I started the car up for the first time at the 2008 run n gun and set the fast time for all street legal Cobras, regardless of power, on Gateway International Raceways road course!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I want a small block, thinking 351W with approx goal in the 500Hp range.

It will be used mainly for show and cruise with occasional trip around track.

Im thinking I would like to be enjoying the car around the $45k mark... we all know the cars are never truely finished though.

After searching im not sure I will find one built that suits my taste so I will likely end up building.

After further research I like the Cutting edge and ERA cars.

I have heard nothing but good about the ERA cars and there web site is very informative. Im not to sure about the optional Jag IRS set up as well as the option price though. I would have to do more research and talk to a few owners running the same set up.

I know the Cutting edge will likely run me over my budget but I cant get past the weight and the exotic chassis/susp set up. From a show aspect I dont think anyone comes close. I also like that they use the near bullet proof and time tested 8.8 center section. If it will live behind 600 Hp in a 3500+lb car with slicks I know it will handle whatever I will ever throw at it in a 2000 lb car.

I like the safety aspect of the FFR frame with side intrusion bars but the rear end appearance turns me off. With the bars being as low as the are I dont think they would provide much protection anyway.

Thanks for your oppinions guys.

Last edited by jbuchert; 02-16-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuchert View Post
I like the safety aspect of the FFR frame with side intrusion bars but the rear end appearance turns me off.
FFR was supposed to be coming out with a newer model that cured their "perky butt" syndrome. I don't know the status of that as I generally don't keep up with FFR evolution (mostly I just make fun of them). You might want to inquire on that though. If, and when, it does come out it will certainly be a real competitor on the high-end scale.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I think the answer to your question is to decide how authentic you would like your car to appear,wheelbase,body lines,wheel offset and on and on. Maybe if you can get a line on the style that attracts you most you can decide.
You will definately appreciate irs when you crank on 500hp ,not to mention it will usually allow the car to have a better rear stance.
With the current economy's state there are lots of good buys on built cars out there now,thats worth considering.
good luck,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
FFR was supposed to be coming out with a newer model that cured their "perky butt" syndrome. I don't know the status of that as I generally don't keep up with FFR evolution (mostly I just make fun of them). You might want to inquire on that though. If, and when, it does come out it will certainly be a real competitor on the high-end scale.

FFR has put on hold it's "198" and "CE" projects for the time being due to the success of their "33" project.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS