Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Is this a trick question?
Bill S.
LOL

I'm going to keep reading this thread untill it goes past 45 pages...

E
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Me too......

oh, run out of things to say now......
Old 05-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Last time a thread like this one popped up, Evan left the building for three months. Hmmmm.

Signed, Real 2
Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Last time a thread like this one popped up, Evan left the building for three months. Hmmmm.
Nope, he must have had other, more pressing, commitments. He can't disappear; not with all that stuff in his signature line about "leading the way, "travel agents," etc. He would have to change it all to "when the rhetoric gets tough, we cut and run" and I just don't see him doing that. Especially not on Memorial Day weekend. Evan will stand here and slug it out to the bitter end.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

No, I just leave when the personal attacks begin from the cowards who hurl them from behind their little key boards. I have no time or patience for that.

Ron: Once again, citing statements from the registry out of context does not prove anything. Especially, as a moderator and one of the "in" people at SAAC I would expect more. But continue taking snipets out of context as the crowd here loves it. Doesn't change things but they love it none the less.

You know as well as I what the registry really says.

You know as well as I or anyone who takes the time to read the Registry that it rightly points out the term "replica" as been misused based on its actual definition in the Websters dictionary. The term has been widely used and now widely accepted as describing the kit cars that are in reality cars that look like Cobras but are not. They are not true "replicas" as that term is technically defined by the dictionary but through common usage the term stuck to them. As SAAC correctly points out once the tooth paste is out of tube its hard to put it back in.

So...the term "replica" took on a negative connotation as far as Shelby was concerned and he therefore looked to separate out the Continuation series/4000 Cobras and other current series Cobras from the non Cobras. He viewed the term "replica" based on the widely accepted common meaning it took on as demeaning and devaluing to his cars. I agree it is based on how the term is understood by John Q public.

In fact, on page 30 of the current SAAC Registry sets out the varioius definitions and defines "Kit Car or Replica" along with all the other definitions for ... "Original", Original Restored, rebodied, reconstruction, Air Car, the CSX 4000, 7000, 8000, 1000 etc... You guys might want to read it. Nah, you won't like what they say...Forget that. All you need to know is the SAAC Registry does not consider them "replicas" as that term is commonly used today. Thats the significant point that our esteemed moderator conveniently failed to point out...and the troubling part is he knows better.

Anyway,

Technically speaking yes, the Continuation series 4000 Cobras are technically "replicas" as that term is specifically defined. They are copies of the original series by the original creator they are "Cobras" that duplicate or are an exact copy of the original. Given. No argument. Replicas are technically defined as recreations of a work of art especially a copy by the original maker. In fact original Cobras were at times referred to as "replicas" to wit: Chassis nos: 2136, 2137, 2138, 2154, 2155 and 2156 as the LeMans "replicas".

Now I can't believe that the SAAC Registry can be considered wrong on this. Can you???. After all as clearly noted in the Introduction the "Registry is the end result of more than 30 years of in-depth research, information collecting and various attempts at verification of these cars. All of this has been done by a small number of supremely dedicated enthusiasts whos only reward is the knowledge that they have worked to the best of their abilities to produce something that solidifies the history of the cars [u]created by Shelby American and companies affiliated with it....(The Registry ) As a totality, it defines what Cobras and Ford GTs are adn specifically identifies which ones fit that definition. In a sense, the registry serves to protect the legacy that was created by these cars by providing specifics which can be used as a yardstick against which any cars purporting to be genuine can be measured."

Acknowledgments go out to some pretty knowledgeable guys some of whom contribute to this forum from time to time. These luminaries had 10+ years to get it right since last Registry was published and during these 10+ years the Continuation series Cobras were known and in existence and did'nt' just pop on the scene right before the Registry went to press giving the "luminaries" and "supremely dedicated enthusiasts" (pretty lofty compliments) pleanty of time to consider just what the Continuation Cobras were and how to define them.

No other publication that I know of can boast such in depth efforts and the breath of contribution by so many who are supremely dedicated enthusiasts with the specific purpose as outlined above.

I also believe it fair to say that the Registry is "the" authoritative text on the subject of Cobras, tracking them and defining them. Maybe you know what thats as or more authoritative. I'd love to know.

But hey if the peanut gallary here says the Continuation Series is a "replica" as that term is commonly used and understood today then hey, silly me I believed what I read in the Registry. I'm chucking mine in the garbage.

Since, many here clearly want to throw the Continuation series into the group with "replicas" as that term is used in common usage today as they know such reference devalues the car but fascinatingly have no problem referring to their cars as "Cobras" (amusingly ironic) I think its only fair that to make things really clear. How about this... we can agree that the Continuation series is a "replica" as that term technically defined by the Websters Dictionary pointed out by the Registry (no argument) and thats how the term is meant and will be meant here on this forum (In fact Ron, post a sticky on the All Cobra talk forum setting this out) and from now on any car not qualifying as a "Cobra" under SAAC Registry definition I and we will refer to as a "non Cobra look alikes or Non Cobras" here on this forum. Sounds fair to me. Any takers.

Hey, you guys have a great weekend!

P.S. Ron: Thanks for the info on CSX 3331. Interesting to know that new Cobras lingered on the lot until '69. I thought it was "68.

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-30-2010 at 02:24 PM..
Old 05-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Sheesh...I saw this coming after reading the thread starters original post.
You must be in politics, what with so much non progressive repetitive lecturing, with absolutely nothing new or progressive to offer.
After reading that convoluted self serving rhetorical gibberish laden lecture you leave me feeling truly inspired...........to take a dump.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

And we're off!

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Real this, replication that, continuation this. No matter how you slice it, the only people that have a real '60s Cobra are the people that have.....real '60s Cobras.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Mark, a big steamy one or just little pellets?
Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Whatever, it's cured my insomnia
Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #086 ,351 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Wow.. I am amazed that what seemed to ME as a very simple question has turned into all this,i was just curious as to the very last Shelby American made Cobra.....I am almost sorry for asking the question.When it comes down to it , i can say, that if the car wasnt made in the 60's then it's not an Original cobra.
So , if thats the case , Who should really care if it's a Factory built one or a backyard build , as long as the owner enjoys it , thats all that should matter.Replicas , Kits , who really should care?
I again can say , i am very sorry to have tried to ask a (To ME) simple question , just to have it turn into a P***ing match with some of you.When you all and i are dead , Original , Replica , Kit , will not matter one bit , so just freaking enjoy what you have....

Frank

Last edited by SFcobra65; 05-31-2010 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: added something
Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcobra65 View Post
i can say, that if the car wasnt made in the 60's then it's not an Original cobra.
Frank
SFcobra65,
Oh, you think that kind of logic applies as a reference to a question?

You didn't consider something just might be up with the first few responses to your thread starting question? Answers offered by Mr. Mustang or the author Trevor Legate or RoushAC and all the others? Or the next two pages of responses?
(Actually your question was answered quite thoroughly early on)

You wrote those magic $hit disturbing words..."Original Cobra", assuming everyone has the same view point as yourself as to the definition of what comprises an "original".

The simple phrasing of your thread title lit the proverbial hornets nest - dead horse kicking debate that has continued in this forum for years now, and always attracts a crowd.

You said "Original Cobra"

The moderators have had to snuff out some fairly nasty fires over the years, and then up pops those words again on the thread starter page....
All of the observations you make above have been hashed out before...many times.

Don't be almost sorry for asking a question, just don't get too surprised or taken aback at the answers/responses/opinions that are offered..."Welcome to the party pal"
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

If the OP's question was phrased as below …

What's the history for the last Shelby American CSX3XXX Cobra made ?

OR

What's the history for the last Shelby American Cobra built in the 60's ?

That would be less ambiguous or open to interpretation and from what I gather, was the intent of the question in the first place.

just my .02
Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

His original post and question was quite clear to anyone that knows anything about these things. It's just an opportunity beyond the restraint of the usual hijackers, BSers, hecklers, keyboard warriors etc etc. I think it's a shame we can't treat relatively new posters with a reasonable question to a reasonable answer. look at all the ridiculous videos, graphics and comments we have to sift through to find anything on topic. I was trying to get in touch with the original owner of this car through this thread because I love the cars and the history. How many people want to get involved in something like this! How many members do we have that never ever post as they don't want to get in the middle of the all too predicatble stuff like this?!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmate View Post
I think it's a shame we can't treat relatively new posters with a reasonable question to a reasonable answer.
Because we are more akin to a "virtual watering hole" than we are an academic institution. You will eventually get the correct answer to almost anything Cobra related, be it mechanical, historical, or metaphysical; but it is too much to expect to simply wander in off the street and expect to immediately be treated in a professional and forthright manner. If you receive but a modicum of courtesy, then you should count your blessings.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Why do I get the impression that some folk take all this stuff seriously!!!

Keep Calm and Carry On
Old 05-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
Why do I get the impression that some folk take all this stuff seriously!!!

Keep Calm and Carry On
Absolutely.

You know I've tried to read Evan's response now a few times and I just can't get through it. Must be too long, kinda reads like a "manifesto."

The last Shelby Cobra was made Friday, May, 28, 2010, but tune here next week, there may be another one made.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You know I've tried to read Evan's response now a few times and I just can't get through it. Must be too long, kinda reads like a "manifesto."
The trick is to just skip over the part where he deals with the Industrial Revolution and its consequences on the human race, the life expectancy of
those of us in "advanced" countries, the destabilization of society, human indignities, psychological suffering, and go straight to the fact that Shelby authorized the use of his name with that particular replica.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

He has been a member of the forum since April 2001.

I would think that he would have picked up that this question would get the response that it did.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Rodknock: Yeah, I know. Real complicated stuff. Hey, it's all right there in the SAAC Registry. Very clear and concise. Most guys may not like what it says but it's all there.