Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

I've never had any other Cobra owners snub me, just the typical crap at the car shows... You'll hear people walk up and say that it's fake. To bad, so sad... It's my fake. And I love it!

I feel sorry for the guys with a "real" Cobras who are afraid to drive them.

On the other hand, my fake, was built to drive, and I do! (In no way do I consider it fake.)

I could care less what other people say. Tho I do hate it when others apologize for not having the same thing as I have. I'd rather see a variety of Cobras, cars, etc. If we were all the same, what a boring world we'd have. I think people who feel insecure have a need to sound stupid, and they usually do.

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Strange, but I've had nothing but good attitudes from other Cobra owners. I've also had waves from Vettes, Mustangs, Novas, and many other hot cars cruising by, including Mopars. I have, however, been snubbed at some cruise nights by the 'regulars'. It may be just because I'm not 'one of the boys'. I've actually had some guy (a regular) tell me my safety wire was on backwards. When I told him they were left hand threads and were properly wired (and that I was an aircraft mechanic), he had no retort, just shrugged and walked away. Some people have nothing nice to say to anyone, but they are the ones with the hangups. I find most people are generous with their compliments.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobrabytes View Post
I think people who feel insecure have a need to sound stupid, and they usually do.
Can I quote you on that?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For the most part, I think Cobra owners are great. We appreciate each others hard work. At a recent car show, we had 12 Cobra's that represented several manufacturers including a continuation CSX and an original Cobra. According to the show organizer, the lone ERA didn't want to park with the rest of us and parked elsewhere. I see that kind of attitude often with "checkbook builders" of all types of cars. I guess that says it all.

Jim

Last edited by jwd; 06-10-2009 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I dunno, I've met check-cutters and I've met knuckle-cutters, and that doesn't seem to be a differentiating factor in the axxhole category. They must be axxholes for completely different reasons.

The only Cobra guy I met that I thought might have a right to snub me (and he didn't), was the owner of a 289FIA I met at the Wine Country Classic as "Sears Point". Not only did he not snub me, but he patiently answered all my questions, popped the hood of his original 289FIA, and let me take pictures. Nice guy.

When someone makes a snide remark to me, my question is invariably, "Are you an axxhole, or an idiot? I really can't tell from here."

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 EFI
Send a message via Yahoo to Doc_Naughty
Not Ranked     
Talking Not true . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I'm being snubbed right now by my fellow FFR owners as soon as they found out I had ordered a new SPF.

However, they said I can still go on rides with them as long as I stay in the rear at least a half mile back so no one thnks I'm with them.

And they will even let me pay for everyone's lunch when we stop.

What a great bunch of guys!

I'll miss them!
jhv48,

Move to Vegas . . . We gather every Saturday or Sunday and there are a few SP,s, a few Backdrafts, a few FFR's and a few more mixed breeds. WE don't snub anybody and if anything, we try to gather more and more every time we see a "newbie" driving around that we don't recognize. The more the merrier . . .

Doc

And when stopped for a vehicle inspection and asked why the brake pedal seemed to go just a little to close to the floor, the response was:

"I didn't buy this car to stop . . . it doesn't have anything on it that doesn't make it go faster!"

Brock Yates
Old 06-10-2009, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I dont really think it has anything to do with whether someone built theirs or bought it, it depends on whether the person is a jerk and a $#!Q@&! to begin with. I personally do not have the time nor the ability to build my own but I don't apologize for that. I know my limits(at least most of the time) I admire those that have the patience of a saint and the ability to build their own but i will never be one of them. Does that make me less of an enthusiast becuase I didn't build mine? - I don't think so. I have wanted one since I was 5 years old and when i could almost afford to own one I jumped.

In the end I think a lot of people would agree it can cost the same. The SPF I sold someone got completely done and ready to drive for half of the build cost. Tell me that isn't a good deal for someone.

It someone doesn't like you or your cobra - walk away and be thankful you aren't married to him!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:42 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I... walk away and be thankful you aren't married to him!
Now I have to admit, that is indeed a novel way to view the situation.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Interesting thread...I don't have my cobra yet but have been going to the shows and have found most to be very nice and helpful. Some will ask "Which car is yours?" I then explain that mine is in production. Really when it comes down to it, most of the cars you see are really expressions of what each person thinks the cobra is/was to them. Different budgets different vendors and different ideas. Some build to track and others to show. I look at each and every one as you never know what you may see.

-Ray
Old 06-11-2009, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP532, KC427FE, TWM
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexnut72 View Post
Can I quote you on that?
Anytime you find the opportunity!

www.KobraBytes.com
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Lessons to live by

I've been going to car shows for most of my life. I started out following my Dad to Model A Ford events as soon as I could walk. I carefully listened to everything he said and early on I learned to spot the seemingly insignificant differences between a '28 and a '29, a '30 and a '31, etc. I regularly attend local shows for British cars, Mopars, Corvettes, Mustangs, '55-'57 Chevys, etc. I just love the cars and talking to the owners.
Two things from Dad's wisdom I remember most about car shows. First, be careful what you say aloud at a car show. The owner is probably within earshot, and may overhear your comments. "If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing at all." Second, "Do Not Touch. The owner has a lot of time and effort in the car, and the last thing you want to do is damage some guy's pride and joy."
It never ceases to amaze me how spectators today have no qualms about touching, leaning over, even opening the door of a show car. My Dad would have immediately yanked me to the side and given me a firm talking-to, and threatened to leave me at home the next time. I think parenting skills have fallen by the wayside somewhat lately. Few respect another's property anymore. It's no wonder society has the problems we have today, if behaviour at a car show is any indicator.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Guess it's a chance thing because I've never been snubbed by any Cobra or Corvette owner. Recently our club had a breakfast meet, there were 10 Cobra's in the lot. The Corvette club pulled up in a lot across a 5 lane road. There were several of those guys that came over to look at our cars. I had a gentleman sit in mine, and then offer to buy it. Other Cobra guys, never been snubbed by them, no matter what the make. I've found that car guys are different. Many are outgoing, loud, obnoxious but just as many are quiet, reserved and respect other people's efforts. This is the case with a Cobra owner with a B&B kit. He at first was very standoffish, seemed to look down his nose at my car, but now, he and I get along great, he has complemented the color of my car many times and has helped me put it back together after my winter mods. Maybe it just takes breaking the ice with someone that appears to be looking down their nose. As for the manufacturer thing, I don't know, I sometimes get that from any car guy with any manufacturer.

Factory Five Owner
Tim
Old 06-11-2009, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've never encountered an entire group of a particular mark that are a$$holes with the possible exception of vette owners. Otherwise, it's an individual who is usually the exception rather than the rule.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

Most of the snubs have been from guys who don't own anything. "Oh, it's a kit!" One from a guy selling mostly rusty parts at the SAAC at VIR a couple of years ago and at the same meet from the Hagerty rep who said "We don't insure cobra kit cars!"
Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My cousin said to me one time, he is a custom motorcylce builder. And it stays with me today. " You never point out anything you don't like or see that it is not the way you would do it. Always pick out something you do like about it or say nothing at all."

Bill
jbcobra67 likes this.

www.gcperf.com
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421 351W
Not Ranked     

Have to agree with kobrabytes and DougD...human nature doesn't seem to have changed much since the dawn of civilization...Hmm. Its all relative. Enjoy "it" for what it is, life is too short!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry for being a newbie. I just got out of sport aviation and I sold my Z06 and I'm looking for the right kit to buy. I had to laugh as I read this entire thread because it's exactly the same thing in the aviation community. Seems like what ever hobby you have, there are those that have to compensate for a lack of ??????? by saying something stupid and mean. My last airplane was on the cover of a magazine/newspaper and you'd be amazed at some of the stupid stuff that I've heard about it while I was standing there.

Once I build/buy my cobra, I promise to be a "good neighbor".
Old 06-11-2009, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

You guys are all wrong. I don't think there are any Cobra owners that would snub another Cobra Owner. I think they realize they won't be answering any of the easy questions they have to answer when someone (other than a Cobra owner) see's their Cobra. Sometimes it is hard to carry on a conversation with other experts in a given field. A fear of not being able to answer your question with the right answere might make them appear less knowledgable.

Life and let Life when it comes to Cobra's...

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #298, 302 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I had a 64 vette and took all kinds of grief for having a Hurst shifter in it. But I drove it not trailered it to shows. Sold it because the local vette guys were not much fun to be around. Got a BDR and have seen other Cobra owners snub SPF guys but seem to tolerate the BDR. I have had a couple of FFR guys tell me they would fix the door seem gaps. Most of the other Cobra guys are great a B & B owner and Shell Valley owner called to go to dinner after one of the shows . The hot rod guys are all pretty friendly. On my way to the Route 66 Festival a vette owner kept trying to get me to race, we were in downtown Springfield at the time. After I parked he walked over and asked me if I was afraid to race him, he really had an attitude. I told him I had owned a vette an didn't need to race his I knew the Cobra was faster. Most of the Mustang guys are great and ask me to park with them. There was only one exception and he didn't seem to get along with anyone, but he did get a 1st place.
BTW, the Route 66 Festival in the fall in Springfield Il is great, they block off downtown around the Lincoln sites and old capitol they only allow cars entered into the areatered cars and it is free to spectators. They have food and bands and last year 1100 cars of
all kinds.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I found out that the corvette club meets every thursday at Sonic drive in so I took my zo6 the next week and was welcomed and made to feel like a long lost friend. Talk turned to did I have any more cars so I told them about csx car. when I said it had a Kroyer motor they said they would like to see, so next thursday my son and I took csx to thier meet, when we pulled in most turned to see what was making all the noise but then turned back around and would not look. The guys that wanted to see Kroyer motor would not even get out of there car so we left. Plan to ask two of my friends who have zr1 corvettes to go back with me , with me in middle to go around 2 or 3 times and then just leave.