26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yep, that WAS a good thread. Are you sure they were FFR owners or are you just snubbing the FFR owners again...and again...and again...
As a current FFR (and ERA) owner with no axe to grind, yes, I can tell you that the two out of three replica owners were indeed FFR owners. Never did find them on either forum (I got chastised by several FFR owners for pointing out just who they were, those that chastised me just did not get it), at least not that they would admit it was them............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
As a current FFR (and ERA) owner with no axe to grind, yes, I can tell you that the two out of three replica owners were indeed FFR owners.
Well, that pretty much closes the case on FFR owners and snubbing. That little incident seems to be classic FFR behavior and is awfully hard to refute.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, that pretty much closes the case on FFR owners and snubbing. That little incident seems to be classic FFR behavior and is awfully hard to refute.
I can say the same thing about certain ERA owners as well. Some of them are jealous that they do not have original ERA's, but continuation series ERA's.

Bill S.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I can say the same thing about certain ERA owners as well. Some of them are jealous that they do not have original ERA's, but continuation series ERA's.
Present company excluded, of course.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Present company excluded, of course.
Excuse me, but I own a REAL ERA and yours is a continuation series car

Bill S.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excuse me, but I own a REAL ERA and yours is a continuation series car
Real, perhaps... but not original.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...continuation series ERA's.

Bill S.
Now THAT is funny!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Bill I think that you can have an original as well as a real ERA but only if your car has a single digit serial number. I have found more "snooty" replica owners than original Cobra owners. Of course I have met a lot more of the replica owners.

Dick
Old 06-12-2009, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantacobra View Post
It may be just me, but I don't think so. Do you ever notice how some of the other Cobra guys at a car show try to look down their noses at you once they find out you own a cobra as well?
When I'm at a show I love to check out any other Cobra's and seek out their owners. I crack up at how some of them have to ask "did you build it?" I see us as one big fraternity rather than competitors. Maybe some just get upset that they're not the only Cobra at the show.
I hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed for it, but there seems to be a consistent attitude from the Factory Five guys. Even the ones who's cars are pretty "rough" looking.
Anyway, not trying to cause a stir, just an observation...
I believe I saw you at the Flowery Branch car show I am sorry if I was not very social. It was a long day at that point and I had just received some bad news. I am sorry I did not go check out you car I was just worn out waiting to go home. I would love for you to join out group on a ride some time. We love all types of cars. I asked if you built the car as some people like to let you know that they did. I love it when people ask me if I built the car. I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I am working on my people skills.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantacobra View Post
It may be just me, but I don't think so. Do you ever notice how some of the other Cobra guys at a car show try to look down their noses at you once they find out you own a cobra as well?
When I'm at a show I love to check out any other Cobra's and seek out their owners. I crack up at how some of them have to ask "did you build it?" I see us as one big fraternity rather than competitors. Maybe some just get upset that they're not the only Cobra at the show.
I hate to say it, and I'll probably get flamed for it, but there seems to be a consistent attitude from the Factory Five guys. Even the ones who's cars are pretty "rough" looking.
Anyway, not trying to cause a stir, just an observation...
I believe I saw you at the Flowery Branch car show I am sorry if I was not very social. It was a long day at that point and I had just received some bad news. I am sorry I did not go check out you car I was just worn out waiting to go home. I would love for you to join out group on a ride some time. We love all types of cars. I asked if you built the car as some people like to let you know that they did. I love it when people ask me if I built the car. I am sorry if I offended you in any way. I am working on my people skills.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Red face

Ok now I double posted some how. It is not my day.

Last edited by joecamire; 06-12-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

To tell you the truth, I like it when someone asks me if I built it.

Most are awed that someone could actually build one of these things in their garage. And, if you did a good job, they will usually remark what a good job you did. That's a compliment as far as I'm concerned.

Let's face it, whether we drive a BDR, SPF, FFR, ERA, CSX, BFD, etc. they are all replicas of the original.

And no matter how you cut it, none of them is an original. Who cares if CS licensed your replica, or signed your glove box.

They are just different interpretations of the originals.

Admittedly some are better constructed than others, but they can all do the same thing very well:

Kill their owner!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports #1121 427W
Not Ranked     

The getting snubbed by some Cobra owners reminds me of the little
ole ladies at the doctor's office bragging about THEIR doctor is better
than yours ! I fly old planes and their is an arrogance toward
people who don't fly taildraggers . Even with our R/C model airplane club.
God forbid if you don't have the right radio equipment or the best engines.
I went to the Shelby meet in Tulsa a few years ago and was a novice
looking to buy a kit of even a completed car. I met a LOT of nice guys
too. However there was this one guy who was a complete A$$ when I
asked him several questions about his car . He had a FFR and I was very
respectful to the man ,and I even asked my son if I said anything out of
way. I must admit I felt kind of humiliated and I did ask him in return :
" Why do the rear of the FFR cars stick up so high?" I took it kinda personal
I guess.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

what if you snub the other guy, and he snubs you, is that a snub-off?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Bill I think that you can have an original as well as a real ERA but only if your car has a single digit serial number. I have found more "snooty" replica owners than original Cobra owners. Of course I have met a lot more of the replica owners.

Dick
I remember looking at your car just before you bought it, kept thinking how well it held up for being as old as it was. Yes indeed, you have an original ERA on your hands.....

Bill S.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Boy, a lot of talk about snobbery. It's everywhere unfortunately. People will always be human and flawed. We just have to deal with that. I guess I've been snubbed but I never paid it any kind or response. From the get go, I just loved the lines of the Cobra regardless of who manufactured it (except possibly the JBL which is just way too odd looking).

I told my wife when I was 45, that I will either build one or just buy one built. I didn't care either way so long as I HAD ONE!

But as a general car nut, I wanted to challenge myself so the FFR was the perfect platform. I wasn't disappointed. 1,000 rivets later, blood/sweat/tears and an upgraded vocabulary and it's done... and it's not even show quality in my humble opinion... but that wasn't the point. It was to be driven. And I knew, like many here, that unless you own an "original" from the 60's, we're all pretty much replica's so I was blatant about it with the high back seats, dual roll bars, and Autometer gauges. And STILL, people ask me if it's original/restored. Now if they snub me after that, I would just mutter to myself, "well if you even knew what you were looking at, you wouldn't of asked such a stupid question"... but I defer to "if you have nothing good to say..."

If people snub me, it shows a lack of mutual respect. I just pay it back with no response and smile.

Last edited by 289fia_cobra; 06-12-2009 at 10:05 AM..
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane HM1073 Keith Craft Genesis 427FE/482 CI
Not Ranked     

If one of them snubs me at a show I make sure I am ready to leave at the same time and pull up next to them.

Their little injected 302 is no match.....

LOL
Old 06-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4973
Not Ranked     

The only snub I have ever seen is by the most elitist cobra owner snob group there is. These would be the owners of the Blue with White stripes cars. According to these folks, there are no other colors in the rainbow.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

I forgot, I did get snubbed by an SPF owner at Hilbank in SoCal a couple of years ago. When I told her and her husband (they have his and hers mustangs as well as the SPF) that I was getting an ERA, they told me that the difference between SPF and ERA owners is that the ERA owners never drive their cars, they're are all just garage queens (the cars that is...well maybe they meant the owners too, who knows).
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have never been snubbed... mostly because everyone knows I have the best Cobra in the northern hemisphere. So, everyone is jealous of my car.

Last edited by Bxx1; 06-12-2009 at 10:04 PM..