12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's right. In addition to spending more, you also get inferior components.
Well, technically, yes. And a heavier car too. But it is a really nice paint job. Add a really nice paint job to a Kirkham and see what that costs.

If I had the extra cash burning a hole in my pocket where I could get either a Kirkham or an alloy CSX4000, I would get the Kirkham.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
If I had the extra cash burning a hole in my pocket where I could get either a Kirkham or an alloy CSX4000, I would get the Kirkham.
I had my pick of the two... and I went with an ERA.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All prejudice aside, it is a MARKET fact that the Shelby name add's value to the car. OK, not to some, but the market has spoken, the results are in.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Shelby is painted, the Kirkham is not. ... Etc.
You can spec "no paint" for your alloy Shelby. However, Shelby will paint your car, but Kirkham will not.

Patrick...morons? Really? All that therapy gone down the drain. The Shelby name does add value for some, nay, many, but not everyone. This is definitely old territory.

For me the added attraction WAS the billet aluminum pieces, gauges that actually work, battery in trunk, etc. The R&D was one of MY reasons for buying a Kirkham. I'm hoping that some of that new R&D on the $1MM Larry Ellison Cobra will trickle down to the older and obviously new Kirkhams.

Appreciation was not a purchase decision point for me when deciding which Cobra to buy. There are other reasons, but why bore everyone to death.

Chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. Everyone likes a different flavor.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, technically, yes. And a heavier car too. But it is a really nice paint job. Add a really nice paint job to a Kirkham and see what that costs.

I'm not sure, but adding a fully polished or even a brushed finish on a bare alloy CSX, would add a lot of money too. I think that's a wash or close to it, but I've never spec'ed a CSX alloy car.

The Kirkhams charge $8,000 for a brushed finish and $10,000 for a polished finish. Stripes are even more money.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You original owners, what are you thinking, using your Cobras like daily driver cars.

I've heard that original Cobra tops may dry rot if they have not been used for decades and that they require an advanced degree to put up.
The thread holding the top together will show deterioration more than the vinyl.

Sorry to say I don't think the British were the best engineers for soft tops. At least they provided nice pictures to follow in the chassis manual.

Even when erected it doesn't mean water is kept out of the cockpit. 55 gallon trash bags slipped over the seats will help keep the leather dry.

Some preferred to run sans tops...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
That's right. In addition to spending more, you also get inferior components.
And of course, you can spend more and get the inferior original suspension from Kirkham too.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I promise not to bring up the Porshe spyder in this thread again, LOL. Problem is I have seen 10 Cobras in and about where I live in South Houston, I have never seen one 1955 Porsche Spyder in all of Houston or my travels. I have been shunned my whole life, LOL, why should it stop now. The bottom of the pit, cracked fiberglass cobro replica owner far out paces the best Porsche owner, unless she is 5'8 with her own big blocks. Loking at the Spyder website and construction of the 1300 lb car an SPF should cost twice as much, but it appears they hold togehter. This thread has a wealth of information on Kirkham and CSX's it is a shame it will be buried under a title not reflective of it content.

I beat a 2008 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabrilot, barely but I beat him back in the Spring. He was pissed off he lost in his new $135K car and I was pissed I didnt beat him more. His car sounded like a jet airplane. On a side note street racing in Houston is a $2k fine.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And of course, you can spend more and get the inferior original suspension from Kirkham too.
Ahh, that's one thing I learned while in New Britain... the more you spend, the more you get, and the better it is.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For $16,000 extra on the Kirkham's option sheet, some people would believe that the original type suspension IS better than the Kirkham's lighter stronger more precise billet aluminum suspension.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
For $16,000 extra on the Kirkham's option sheet, some people would believe that the original type suspension IS better than the Kirkham's lighter stronger more precise billet aluminum suspension.
Didn't I read that the original suspension option has been discontinued for lack of interest?
Old 10-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Didn't I read that the original suspension option has been discontinued for lack of interest?
I hadn't heard that, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Modern, newer, better, cheaper, all relative terms. I would prefer the original style suspension for the same reason I would prefer an FE over any other type of engine. It just feels right to me.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Modern, newer, better, cheaper, all relative terms. I would prefer the original style suspension for the same reason I would prefer an FE over any other type of engine. It just feels right to me.
Well, FE's have been modernized as well. CSX/Pond/Genesis blocks, Edelbrock/BT/CSX heads, Weber-ish looking EFI, Erson/T&D/Jessel roller rocker arms, H-beam connecting rods, the list goes on and on.

Other modern items such as Wilwood versus Girling brakes, the CSX/Kirkham bodies are made with thicker (0.050" vs. 0.059") aluminum, etc. But that's what makes all of us different buyers for different cars.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie, has a point... but on the other hand, the only original piece of metal on my FE is the block itself.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ernie, has a point... but on the other hand, the only original piece of metal on my FE is the block itself.
Which is my point.

Modern is good, just like Gordon Gecko said it in Wall Street, I mean greed is good.

For my build, and I say that with all modesty because I did almost nothing, I kinda liked the idea of my Cobra weighing in 2,128 lbs or whatever. I saw weight, or lack thereof, as a positive.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I rebuilt my engine I made a decision to stay true to the original specs within reason. While I would prefer a more accurate car to start with than the ERA we all do the best we can with what we have. Some like modern stuff, others strive for more original when/where they can within their budget.

For my engine, I chose to stay with iron heads, replaced the roller cam with a flat tappet, kept the Le Mans rods, etc. I DID make a concession with the pistons, 12.5 to 1 just won't cut it with todays pump gas, so I reluctantly went modern with a lower compression ratio. I just hate myself for giving in like that, but my therapist assures me it's "OK".
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Which is my point.
A point which you brought forth with alacrity and grace. Deviations from the original design may be made for safety, or performance. Certainly the former, to a lesser extent the latter.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ernie, you can raise your compression back up again, because when you come to CA and live near Redwood City, there's a solution. There's a nearby gas station that sells the following: 100 octane unleaded race gas straight from the pump, 110 octane leaded Sunoco race gas or finally, 112 octane leaded Sunoco race gas. The leaded varieties cannot be pumped directly into your car though.

Don't ask the price, but you now you can relive the '60's with some high performance gas.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Don't ask the price,
Therein lays ONE of the problems! The other is availability. I could also buy race gas at a pump here on Oahu. ONE pump, ONE station. Terribly inconvient when your on the other side of the island.

What I miss most is the sound, the exhaust note. High compression is like a cannon boom, now it sounds more like a mouse in comparison.