Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  
View Poll Results: Are you a Nascar fan?
Yes 36 65.45%
No 19 34.55%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2002, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ike, That's the great part about F1 all you have to do is watch qualifing and you don't have to waste an afternoon watching the pole sitter a 1/2 lap ahead of everybody else after about 10 laps. I think the pole sitter wins about 90% of all F1 Races.

A real time saver.

Cranky
Old 02-14-2002, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I knew I'd get some help sooner or later.

Bill
Old 02-14-2002, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to mustang man
Not Ranked     

Want instant gratification, try NHRA drag racing.

4.5 seconds and it's all over.

Hell, sex lasts longer than that!!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cranky - Ron Dennis from McLaren recently addressed the issue of "Boring" F1 races. He said (kinda) " We spend a whole day determining who the fastest guy is, then we start him up front. Why is everyone surprised?"

Mustang Man - sex for you lasts longer than 4.5 seconds? I am impressed.

Menace - the surprising part is you have apparently actually watched replays of roundy round races. I can usually figure out who won after only watching once. The replays are for people from W. Virginia.

Ikestaa - so you don't think that close racing is competitive racing? How about when they are spread out? Is that competitive to you?
Old 02-14-2002, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I thought the goal of racing was to determine who is the best driver? To me, it is not competitive when one or more teams have developed a superior car to the others for whatever reason. That's one reason professional ball sperts have become hard to watch--the team with the biggest payroll wins, e.g. NY Yankees et al.

Bill
Old 02-14-2002, 04:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose it can mean what ever you want it to...

I have always had the OPINION that it was a team thing...the best driver in the best car with the best crew...

Sometimes (too rarely) one does get to see an outstanding driver kick some bvtt in a car that shouldn't win - but that never seems to happen often enough for me!
Old 02-14-2002, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ERA 535

5.136 seconds, last time I tried it with a stop watch!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tim,
Do you have one of those Christmas trees that tells you when to start.

RD
Old 02-14-2002, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, something like that.

All I know is that when my wife flashes the red bulb, then I went too early!!
Old 02-14-2002, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You're right, that's when it's good. I really enjoy seeing someone unheralded going in and kicking a$$. Doesn't happen very often in NASCAR or other forms of racing.

Best analogy I can think of is privateers campaigning against contracted professionals. I was a former licensed pro motocrosser but never made it to the top and multi-million dollar contracts. THe factory guys all had very trick, exotic bikes that were just better than what any amateur could afford. But there were those days on certain tracks that us privateers got it done.

Bill
Old 02-14-2002, 04:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim,

When I was younger and motel rooms all had adult movies I could time my "event" so that as the light on the box on the TV would start to blink - meaning that I was about to be charged because the preview period was coming to an end- I would "finish".

I got so good at this that pretty soon any kind of flashing light was enough to insure a good time.

The problems started when I couldn't figure out how to program my VCR and it kept flashing "12:00".
Old 02-14-2002, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 2836K
Not Ranked     

ERA535 "Menace - the surprising part is you have apparently actually watched replays of roundy round races. I can usually figure out who won after only watching once. The replays are for people from W. Virginia."

Good one :Im just mouthing off and trying to get an honorary "Gashole" membership you guys need a Token FFR guy dont you? I am frustrated with speedvision though .I have cable in my shop and used to let speedvision run all day but I just cant take 8 hours of nascar reruns a day... like they have now.Menace
Old 02-14-2002, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Menace- I think the Dean of Admissions will agree that we do need a token FFR in the gang.

Those darned FFR's are just too light! They need to weigh about 400 more pounds so that it will be a fair fight on the track.

Regarding Speedvision becoming the NASCAR Channel....I remember people saying that and thought it was just hysteria, but guess what? It is. I am getting sick of all the NASCAR coverage fast.

Last edited by ERA535; 02-14-2002 at 06:49 PM..
Old 02-14-2002, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default NASCAR FAN

Yes I am a devoted NASCAR fan. My wife and I have had an opportunity to be in the Cup hot pits a couple of times and in pits with a Winston West car many times. I actually raced against one of the current Cup drivers 4 years ago in a Saturday night class at local tracks. He always won!!

If you understand the background of the sport, the lack of technology (kind like cobra kits or real ones), and the closeness of the competition then you might really enjoy the sport.

My opinion of F-1 is "No passing allowed!"

I have traveled with an IRL team and still prefer full bodied cars to open wheelers, except for sprints which again lack technology but make it up in brute hp and driver's cahones!!(kind of like you know whats)

Just my opinion-of course I could be wong!

Dave
Old 02-14-2002, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's all a matter of tastes. Me personally, I am more fascinated by the design of the car than who drives it, most of the time. This is why I am looking at automotive engineering. For me, there is so much more to racing than turning left.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era,427 genesis side oiler
Not Ranked     

I am a fan. I watch ever race. Go Bill Elliot. If he is out of the racei turn it off.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

YES. Definately a NASCAR fan. The fact that NASCAR tries to keep the cars even (competative) is what makes it true racing. It is up to the team to set the car up properly, the pit crew to get the car serviced fast, and the driver to have superior driving skills.

I am not impressed with F1 which unfortunatly (IMO) has turned into "who can AFFORD to win". Cars at high speed, 30 seconds apart is a freeway, not racing. (I do appriciate the technology - and the sleep I can get watching)

British Touring Car and Australian Super Cars are also fun to watch. Door to door.

Last edited by avalanche325; 02-14-2002 at 09:56 PM..
Old 02-15-2002, 04:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been a fan since the old days. I loved to watch Cale roughin' people up. I have been to Bristol twice, Charlotte once, Rockingham once, Michigan a bunch. I am taking this year off to save money for my engine.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Trans-Am Jim
Not Ranked     

I'm sort of divided - I like Bristol, Martinsville, and Dover. Somewhat less Daytona & 'Dega (just waitin for the big wreck to happen). And the road courses. The rest, mostly 1 mile ovals, are just plain boring IMHO. The cars are technological dinosaurs, which kinda makes 'em appealing in the details. There are differences, but they're subtle.

Wanna see some fender rubbin', recognizable body styles, American V8s and some lead changes, all run on some of this country's best road and street courses? You like drivers with personality, not afraid to mince their words for the camera?
Watch a Trans-Am race - all races televised either live or tape-delayed on Speedchannel and CBS this season. You might become a fan.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Default Go Jim!!!!

...I agree!!! A Trans Am race is the way to go! Get some of these guys like Paul Gennalozzi and Boris Said rubbing up agin one other, ain't nothing like it.

Its kind of like the XFL of auto racing.

Plus the variety of tracks they run keeps you interested from week to week. We even have a couple of 'local' boys running as newbies, Paul Fix and Rich LaBarbera, I bought my Mustang racer from Rich. Nice guys, but they don't have the deep pockets that it now takes to run Trans Am. Hard to keep up with Mr. Money Bags, Gennalozzi.

While I'm still a Nascar fan, I'd watch Trans Am over Nascar any day of the week.