Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

Glad your OK.
When I bought my car i noticed that the steering shaft was 2 pipes - 1 inside the other with some questionable welds holding everything together. When I rebuilt the car last year the top thing on the list was to fit a new column in it. I got it from IDIDIT and they custom made it for me. Not only is it easier to steer (no power steering) but way safer than anything i could have built. Good luck and for goodness sake do it the SAFE WAY not the cheap or in your case the cool looking way. Safe is cool!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How many of you have checked your steering since reading this? I know I will tonight.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 ERA #2115 under build in my bedroom
Not Ranked     

You are thoughtful for posting this. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

This is not an uncommon story, it is uncommon that someone admits to it or is in good enough condition to use their computer to type anything. I heard of this happening too many times, people crashing into a tree and the driver is fatally wounded. It feels like I have heard this a 100 times, which in all honesty is probably more like 2 or 3 times.

My procedure is as follows, which I do not practice religously.

When I get home from a drive a pull the hood pins, lift up the hood and look for leaks and steering movement. I have anti-sabotage markings on my steering joints, steering lock-nuts and upper contol-arm bolts and adjustable nuts. It takes a few seconds to look at it like this with a flash light. I wait for the car to cool off then cover it.

I repeat this procedure (or try to) each time I drive it. How many control arm stories and steering joint stories have you heard? How many end with a reasonably happy ending like this?

There is no half-a$$ing steering and suspension components, lock-tight, nylock nuts, torque, great hardware and good manuafcturing has to be invested in and even then, mistakes happen. There is a LOT of vibration in these cars, which is why they need constant inspection.

I am glad the driver is all right and they are good enough to put this thread on this web forum. This thread has the potential of saving lives - not the typical BS that just catches our interest.

Indeed, how many will check our steering tonight? (and our suspension).
Old 09-03-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 302 with NOS
Not Ranked     

Suspect you were hoping those two 4's would give you some lift. Better the boat yard than the bone yard. Ya know Jon I find my best passenger is a box of Depends. Col
Old 09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default more thoughts

Two weeks ago my local gas station allowed me to use his lift, I was having a problem with bolts coming loose and wanted to take them out and put loctite on all of them which took a couple hours. One of our members made a great suggestion to mark all the bolts and nuts with a sharpie so at a glance you could see if they were coming loose...great idea... thanks Joe
Drove the car today, still running great...just need a pair of bj/bk carbs, can't get rid of the bog on these 450's !
Jon
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...the bog on these 450's
Piece of cake. You need:
1. Bigger main jets, duals don't like to run anywhere near lean or even normal. They like rich. You might consider the power valves as well, they should be at least 1/2 of whatever your idle vacuum reading is. Idles at 12"? 6" PV's or even 5's.

2. Bump up the base timing, very common to not run enough. Should be at least 14, I'm running 20.

3. More cowbell, oh wait, that was another thread...
Old 09-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

Another resource for steering components:
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php
Old 09-05-2010, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Thank God for Guardian Angels! Glad you are OK, with only minor damage to your ride...
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 429CI
Not Ranked     

Jon.....thanks for posting your experiance. There is never any shame in stepping out of your comfort zone and then having to live the challenges doing that presents. The shame belongs to those reading your post and never having the cajones to live their dream.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

resurrecting this thread for jon..........so he may post his latest experience today.
i'll let him tell the story........ok jon take a deep breath......don't let out any details
Old 07-23-2011, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Update

I certainly hope it's just another scare. Is the car and most important Jon OK?

Joey
Old 07-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Steering joints should be either Double D or splined. Either method uses a groove or an indent to lock the screw against the shaft. The screw should be tight and have a jam or lock nut. Before making anything for brakes or steering read up on and look at what other people are doing and have it clear in your head why and how before you make anything. I heard of one idiot who used a socket set universal in his steering, right before he crashed the car. That kind of stuff shuts our hobby down! Just don't do it!
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Did you get video because I laughed my butt off at the video on here of the drag racer who lost his steering wheel Seriously glad you are ok, i had the same thing happen to me but not in my cobra and not at those speeds.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Jesus Mary Joseph!!!! I am glad you walked out of this one literally unscathed!!!
Basque1
Old 09-23-2011, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 429
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decapello View Post
How many of you have checked your steering since reading this? I know I will tonight.
I'll be doing that first thing in the morn,.....checking my steering. I know what I got there but after reading that , it's a good thing to check it over.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
resurrecting this thread for jon..........so he may post his latest experience today.
i'll let him tell the story........ok jon take a deep breath......don't let out any details
the subject line says it all. HE predicted the next one...
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
Da Bunnies (tm) know but signed a nondisclosure agreement

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-24-2011, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Sounds kind of scary, your very lucky indeed. I would suggest installing good quality U-joints, a collapsable sterring shaft, plenty of loctite and a routine inspect schelule. Sterring , brakes and electrical are the most important systems....HP comes next.

Good Luck!
Bill
Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default New thread

I started a new thread "second chance" ...I'm replacing the body and have a chance to build it again and hopefully better. I posed the question that if you could redo your car knowing it's good points and it's bad what would you change?
Jon