Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-07-2020, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 Antique and Collectibles Autos, Inc, 302
Not Ranked     
Default New headers, Have Questions? Picture Heavy

Gents
I hope all of your are staying safe out there. I have a few questions regarding the Headers and Side pipes that I bought from Shell Valley. First may say that dealing with them has been great. I have been working with Dana and I have been getting most of all my part from them because of A&C being closed down. So here are my concerns before deciding sending them back. The headers are not very tight together and not very straight, that goes for both side and they don't look like some of the ones that I have seen on this web site for the A&Cs. These are for a SB ford 302 but they say on the tubes 351. I know that the 351 is similar in size and they should work the same. I just want your opinion if these headers. Will they come in contact with the foot box. They don't have the same back tube bend as others I've seen, ones closes to the fire wall. The two center pipes go under instead of over the middle. Anyway the side pipes are well made but the headers are just ok. Look at some of the pictures and let me know what you think. One other thing the motor is sitting on a dolly and is in there for getting a general idea on how it will fit with the headers. Also ignore the tires they are just for mock up. I already new tires and rims. I can post more picture if needed.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2020, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a picture of my side pipes and my adapters/reducers as well.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2020, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectibles, Forte 427 SB, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

My $.02

Get the engine mounted to the frame first using A&C`s instructions. (Notes 4 & 6 on page 1 of body assembly)
Proper placement will dictate where the exhaust exits out the body.

Get the engine installed then set the body on the car. That`ll give you an idea of how the headers will/wont fit.
I got my headers and exhaust from A&C.

When I was at the stage to install the exhaust, I had discovered that A&C sent me 2 passenger side headers. I had to send one back to have the rear most tube re-welded with the proper bend.

So basically, you`re not gonna know til you set the body on the car.
Yes, I know it`s a pain in the butt to get people over to lift that 400+ lb. body BUT that`s what you`ll have to do.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

H-Rod
The A&C instructions say to measure 22.5 inch back from the top front cross member and mark the frame at this point. This is where the middle of the two center header pipes line up on the frame. Then mark the holes on the frame using the frame mounts attached to the motor. This is what I’m worried about. If these header are ok to use this measurement. I want this motor mounted in the chassis. Should I go ahead and drill and mount motor mounts or not with these headers? If you look hard it the picture I attached shows that mark on the frame. Should I go ahead and drill and mount? Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2020, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectibles Autos, Inc.
Not Ranked     

Hi, even though I installed a coyote I still needed to use the 22.5" from the top front cross bar. The photo that I have included is from Joe at A&C. Needed these dimensions to build a mock up since I didn't have the body. I the photo doesn't appear check my album.
The reason to use the 22.5" to the middle of the passenger side header tubes is to get the correct location for the exit point. for both sides. This is how A&C's has you set the engine mounts position. In fact the headers you have from Shell Valley seem better a better fit that A&C's. The second photo I have included is from a build I got off the net. Hope this helps. John
Old 04-13-2020, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectibles, Forte 427 SB, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BIG67AC View Post
H-Rod
The A&C instructions say to measure 22.5 inch back from the top front cross member and mark the frame at this point. This is where the middle of the two center header pipes line up on the frame. Then mark the holes on the frame using the frame mounts attached to the motor. This is what I’m worried about. If these header are ok to use this measurement. I want this motor mounted in the chassis. Should I go ahead and drill and mount motor mounts or not with these headers? If you look hard it the picture I attached shows that mark on the frame. Should I go ahead and drill and mount? Thoughts?

My money says you`ll be O.K.

Think about this, it doesn`t matter what tube orientation your headers have. (over, under, extreme bend, etc.) your exhaust ports on the head will never change location.
A&C wants you to use that location as a guide for their dimensions. (center of headers, center of the exhaust ports)

My concern would be the rear tubes (#7 & 8) possibly hitting the footbox.
That`s why I mentioned putting on the body to see what will/wont hit.

If you`re overly concerned about drilling holes in the frame to mount the engine, wait til you drill holes in the body for the rollbar.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I’ll go with theses headers. Ill mount and drill the motor mounts to the frame, put the body on and see how close the foot wells are to the rear pipes. Ill let you now how it turns out. Finger crossed. Thanks for all of your input on this issue.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     
Default Header fitment

This is my first post. I have been building an A&C for a few months now. I used the 22 1/2 measurement and the headers didn't line up where they were supposed to. I am using s 351c. Dimensionally, the headers should wind up in the same place as a 302 or 351w. I found I needed to move the engine back 2" for the headers to exit properly. You need to set the body before you mount the engine. I have my body hanging from the ceiling so it's easy to take off and put back on again.
Old 06-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I guess it goes without saying that with a 351 the ports are both higher and wider than the ports of a 302. With your brand and slip-ons that may not make any difference.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: