Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2004, 08:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Drivers side leg room

I don't have my snake yet but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. I've been leaning towards the Unique kits but have started to look into the A&C. I prefer the lines of these makes over the FFR's.
I noticed the the A&C has a 90" wheelbase, how does this affect the legroom for the driver? Is there a dropbox for the the driver's feet?

Suspension, how does the 4 Link compare to an IRS system? I plan to build a cruiser, not really planning to put it on the track much, but who knows once foot meets petal for the first time.

I'd appreciate any other pro's cons you can provide me on the A&C Kit.
saltshaker likes this.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry but I can not help you with the A&C. I can give you input on the Unique in case you are not that familiar. I am 5'10" and have the car adjusted just for me. The seat is a couple few clicks forward of the most rearward position. With that position my hands drop comfortably on the wheel. I had to move the pedals up so much that longer pushrods had to be fashioned. With the dropped footbox I can stretch my legs out completely straight and still not touch the end of the footbox without bending my foot forward at the ankle. My pedals do sit a bit to the left, brake peddle directly in front of my left leg. With the current arrangment I do not have room for a dead peddle but I beleive by making some minor adjustments here and there I would be able to get one in there. My father in law is 6'4 and he was suprised at the leg room.
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 02-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Deanr,

I have the 4 link on mine and have driven it quite hard on the track and it works great. I have also driven the IRS and I like it. If you aren't really going to do any serious stuff either would be great. But I think that I got a little better feel from the IRS as when I turned one way or the other it didn't seem to take quite as much weight off the outer wheel. But for mostly just driving I don't think either has a great advantage. That being said you should now get about 40 answers telling you I am completely wrong.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the responses. I've sat in a Unique and only problem was the "knee Knocker", or dashboard but looks like an easy fix.

If they're any A&C's in the MD/VA area I'd like to take alook.

You can contact me at deanr@hotmail.com .
Old 02-06-2004, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Hi Dean,

As we discussed when you sat in my car, you can now order the Unique with the dashboard cutout. You can also order a taller rollbar. I'm having Unique fabricate a new one for me.

BTW, the original cars all had 90" wheelbases, so leg room is going to be the same for all of the more authentic replicas, as well as Kirkhams and Shelbys. Some, including Unique include a dropped footbox, which helps some.

Some manufacturers offer a 96" wheelbase, but, of course, they are not very authentic looking
Old 02-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Seems to me that some of the original cars has the dashboard notched out. I walk into my car and then slip in. Unless you are very small I don't think there will ever be a standard wheel base car that you can get into like a typical sedan.

I didn't mention the 4 link and IRS thing. I think in general it boils down to solid rear axle has a realibility, cost and straight line acceloration advantage. Where the IRS has the handling and ride advantage. For just cruising and even some light track work I would probably go straight axle. If handling is more important to you than the 1/4 mile is, then go IRS. Just my thoughts.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 02-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Neutral     

A BIG issue for me is how much clearance my left foot has next to the clutch pedal.

On many of these cars you CANNOT move your foot/leg to the left fo the pedal. So you wind up "riding the clutch" or uncomfortably trying to figure out what to do with foot, or slip it under the clutch (which is not the best "safety" thing to do).

I want a dead pedal next to the clutch pedal!

Ernie
ALFREDO likes this.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, Mopar thingy (small block of course)
Neutral     

My Shell Valley has a place to rest your left foot because of the way the foot box is built. Very handy for longer trips or spirited driving.
ALFREDO likes this.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Next debate, Windsor or Cleveland

Hey Clay, thanks for the reminder on the dashboard mod. The temps are becoming civilized, might have to come see you for a ride along when it dries up.

I agree with you on the 96" wheelbases and don't want to go longer than a 92".

Now for the next debate: I'm planning on the 351 but need to decide on whether Cleveland or Windsor block. My old man swears by the Cleveland. Look forward to the discussion.

Thanks
ALFREDO likes this.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Neutral     

Deanr,
You didn't say how tall you are, but I am 6' 3" + and fit very comfortable in my Superformance. The last cobra I had, I stayed cramped up by the dash all the time. The SPF has great leg room and plenty of pedal room, even for my 13D's.
Just adding info
ALFREDO likes this.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Next Debate,
Either engine is good. Seems to be plenty of windsors around and with the available stroker kits, you can go up to and beyond 427 ci. I'm running 440HP stroker and it will turn mid 11's with street tires. A cleaveland or a big block won't shave off any time
Old 02-06-2004, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, 351W
Not Ranked     

Dean,

Legroom; We have a 92" wheelbase Backdraft Racing replica. It's far more comfortable for me than any 90" car I've sat in or driven. I'm 6'-2", 240#'s. Although I know very tall guys that own 90" cars.

Rear Suspension: I prefer the handling and ride of IRS. We've been in our car 6 to 8 hours at a time and don't feel beat up.

Windsor vs. Cleveland: In 1971 there was no question the Cleveland was the engine of choice. Today, IMHO, that's reversed. The options out there for Windsors that make huge power are vast. You can also stick with a 351W and with heads, cam, pistons, fasteners, intake, carb, ignition, you can make a respectable amount of power very inexpensively (relatively speaking).

Good luck, and have fun shopping!
John
Old 02-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

Dean,

I have a Unique. I'm 6'3", mounted the seat as far back as possible, elevated the front of the seat 3/4", and have no problem. Yeah, it's a little tight, but comfortable. It doesn't take long at all to figure out how to slide in and out painlessly. Yes, the 90"+ wheel base cars are more comfortable, and I considered them, but prefer the original specs as much as possible. It's simply a matter of preference (and resale).

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 02-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Dean: I'm 6 ft and I'm very comfortable in the A & C. There is no drop box in the interior becuase the interior is glassed into the body. If you have wide feet some guys have to go to the automatic. I imagine you could modify the footwell area and have it reglassed, but it would take alot of modification. You might want to ask Joe T at A & C if he can do something special for you. They supply the 4 link as well as an optional adjustable 4 link. Is it going to be a cruiser or a track car. Should be no problem if only a cruiser, if your a track star you might want the IRS.
Later,
Jim
Old 02-06-2004, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all the input, especially about the drop box. I sat in the Unique and was comfortable with boots on my size 12's. I'm 6' 230, adn the fit was good. I will try fits in other rides for comparison in the near future.

Thanks for the engine info. The Windsor seems pretty easy to get parts for. The more info I get on "Strokin" an engine it makes the decision easier. I don't want to get to crazy since the wife will take her turn on the wheel. God bless a girl that learned to drive in her cousins southern cali hot rodded 69 Camaro.

Appreciate the info.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadster at 94" is just right!

W or C? No contest, Windsor all the way.

Ernie
Old 02-07-2004, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Dean

Thought I would add a little here also.

My wheelbase is 92" with 2" in the doors. My camera opposite has a few photos of the car in side profile. When the body arrived we sat in on the flloor next to a 90" car and it just did not hit you in the face.

The only give away was the lengthened doors that you could see in the Gel coat. No one has noticed since I painted a little white acrylic over that.

I'm 6' and have the seats right back and ride very comfortably.

I have lowered the floor right below the chassis and look through the mid screen. I have also made a footbox that lowers an additional 1 1/2" from the seat forward drivers side.

I sat in the Midstates car at the 'Run N Run' in October and saw the extra room and comfort with this footbox addition.

Obviously when you get the body you can cut and glass to your hearts content to gain a little bit here and there.

I have also put a larger roll in the seat below my upper leg and a fuller roll in the mid back of the seats. This has also made a big difference to comfort.

Now I have done just on 7,000 k's (4,200 miles) in 3 months running from Mt. Gambier to a race shop in Melbourne Victoria. No problem with comfort.

With sheer fun and excitement you forget about any discomfort.

Cheers

Bernie

Cruising in summer sun
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-07-2004, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

A friend of mine, also with an A&C, put in a drop box on the floor. Very easy to do as the chassis will not interfere.

Roscoe
Old 01-13-2022, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond View Post
Dean,

I have a Unique. I'm 6'3", mounted the seat as far back as possible, elevated the front of the seat 3/4", and have no problem. Yeah, it's a little tight, but comfortable. It doesn't take long at all to figure out how to slide in and out painlessly. Yes, the 90"+ wheel base cars are more comfortable, and I considered them, but prefer the original specs as much as possible. It's simply a matter of preference (and resale).
WHat exactly was done as far as mounting the seat as far back? thx a lot
Rails removed etc?
Old 01-13-2022, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora GRX
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Deanr,
You didn't say how tall you are, but I am 6' 3" + and fit very comfortable in my Superformance. The last cobra I had, I stayed cramped up by the dash all the time. The SPF has great leg room and plenty of pedal room, even for my 13D's.
Just adding info
Did you have to modify the seat position at all ?

thx alot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: