Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

Bob Bondurant has been kind enough to allow us to have our Christmas party at his facilities. We should do whatever we need to to recruit enough guys to participate in the autocross. This is Bob's business after all. Let's make it worth while for him.
moore_rb likes this.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Let's all not lose sight of the fact that Bill/Old Phart generously offered to lock in the Bondurant venue for this event... And now there is bickering about whether the day should be labelled as a "Bondurant Track day, with an AzCobras party going on", or an "AzCobras party, with a Bondurant Track day going on" ...?

Whichever "event" ends up getting top billing - I plan to be there, and if there is an open track outside, then none of you should be surprised if I run in, throw my plate of brownies down on the pot-luck table, and then disappear back outside for a few laps...

Personally, I think that taking advantage of the track would be a hoot - I haven't driven a car on a road course since 2002. There is no rule written anywhere that says you have to push your car (or yourself) too hard, just because you happen to be on a race track.

There is also no rule that says that a fantastic year-end party for this group couldn't take place inside, even if there just happened to be a few Panterras, Mustangs, or even {gasp} Chevrolets running around outside...

I mean, this group had a great Spring party at Saguaro Lake, and it didn't seem to matter that there were a bunch of water-skiers and bass fishermen running around in the background... right?

I do like Karl's suggestion about publicizing the event to the out-of state Cobra guys.

Anyone who wanted a "quiet pot-luck and get-together" in the Museum would be well isolated from all the spinouts, swirling dust, and Karlos' loose tires bouncing around outside.

I also have to make note that I have heard concerns from several of you (and I have read similar comments here on this forum) about how local interest in Cobras seems to be diminishing, and that participation in this group is declining- Well, who do you guys think the next generation of Cobra-car owners is most likely to be...?

Hint: Younger Mustang owners. If some local Mustang guys want to pony up to use the track on that day, then it might provide this group with some exposure to potential future Cobra enthusiasts.

I also agree with MesaMike that the track would be more appealing (to me) than the Autocross course... I don't understand the appeal of Autocross at all. If I wanted to get seasick by throwing myself back and forth at 40mph, I've got a boat that I could spend the day on...

So yes, I would pony up extra $$ for use of the track, but no, I would not pony up extra $$ for just the Autocross course...

But regardless - I do want to say thanks again to Bill for his offer to reserve the Bondurant venue for the day (regardless of which facilities we end up using, or not using....)

Ok, off my soapbox now... I started typing, and couldn't stop. Sorry about that
Old 07-22-2016, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

My two cents:
When I got my blue cobra I couldn't wait to drive it every day and night. The XMAS parties seemed much larger and people knew each other. Some people have passed away and we are not crazy young 60 Year olds anymore.
The wives that use to come liked it because it was new and fun for the spouses. The Marines were there etc. Last few years the wife's don't want to look at the same old Carbs.
Bondurant is exciting. Bondurant is a destination point. We all wish we could race around Bob's track but many of us are just plain uncomfortable doing that. Remember you do not have to go crazy. You can go as fast as you like but it does feel good stomping on the pedal and feel the speed and not just in first gear. When I played on the track frankly it scared the **** of me. I kept thinking:
What if the brakes fail?
What if I hit something? My wife will freaking kill me. (why we have secret checking accts)
What if a stone hits the windshield?
But after each day I drove home with a smile on my face.
You guys all missed out on that 80th Birthday weekend. Unbelievable!!.

I say the more the merrier! Invite the other club members? At the end of the day only about 60% will actually show up. Stuff happens.

See Bob because he doesn't have that many years left on this earth. Hell he may even drive your car with you in it?? He makes you really feel great as he discusses the slides around several of the track turns with one hand and explaining stuff to you as you are holding on with a big smile on your face. You may even buy some pretend shoes!!

The autocross seems like a lot of time spent waiting and in 15 seconds it is over or something. Kind of fun but not like the track. Been there done it for 4 days and it was better then sex?

I am in regardless. If you need another person to fill up autocross I am in. I love the main track except that first winding big turn.....Count me in for the track if it happens.

Last edited by Fitz; 07-22-2016 at 11:44 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Robert and Fitz, Very well stated by both of you.
Scotty had also brought up a very good point about maybe giving the Bondurant facility some business, especially since they have been so willing to let us have our get together there.

This will be an excellent opportunity to have an exceptional day among new and old friends.

I'll put together a poll here on CC for everyone to weigh in on their preferences.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
I will take care of any cost to rent for the museum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
especially since they have been so willing to let us have our get together there.
I believe old phart is paying the bill to have the event there.
It's not like there opening there doors for free.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Not Ranked     

For those of you wanting to track your car. Go to ProAutoSports.com and check out their track dates. About $200 for 80 minutes of track time on a saturday or sunday. 3 or more levels you can join. They use Firebird main, firebird east and west as well as other tracks around AZ and CA.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 2252 sold 3-08, 1986 AC Cobra MK IV #185
Not Ranked     

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I'm looking forward to a fun Christmas Party, car show, gift exchange, and "what may be" by popular vote. It's difficult to make everyone happy, so options are on the table.

Whatever the outcome, I know I'll be at the food table eating some of
moore_rb's brownies! That's my weak spot and obsession.

BTW, Dan, I'm selling the 89 IROC, so I won't be racing it there.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

You keep selling all the cool cars... LOL See you there.

Mikiec

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 07-28-2016, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default Just My 2 cents

I have been reading all the input and suggestions for the Anniversary Party 2016 and have come to this conclusion.
Although other cars are often welcome to some events, this annual gathering has always been about the Arizona Cobras Car Club since our inception at Gordon Levy’s Tempe Shop in December of 2001. If we properly promote the 17th Annual Arizona Cobras Anniversary Party with online, emails and flyers, I’ll just bet we will see 40+ cobras and 80+ members show up to enjoy the camaraderie, the food and drink we bring, the White Elephant gifts, the toy and wagon donations to Phoenix Children’s Hospital and admire the cars themselves. The only expenses are under $20 gift (you go home with one) and toy/wagon donations which are deductible. We need to bring food and drink. The only deterrence would be weather.
As a club we have had few members race their cars. We all want to, but few do it. Lack of support for an autocross or track time should not lessen our determination to have a special event. Bill Godwin has come up with this idea and confirmed the location. Do your racing going to and coming from the party. By our estimates Arizona has 125+ cobras. We are looking for only 1/3. There are groups in Phoenix, Kingman, Prescott, Payson, Tucson, Flagstaff, Havasu, etc. We just have to get the word out.
I am proud of how this club has maintained itself with events, respect and high regard from all other cobra clubs. 17 years for a club is a long time. We all wish Mikie and Ginny were back but, many fine members have stepped up to fill the gaps. I love you guys.
This event can be another bright future memory for all and, I hope, the start of something big.
AZ Bob

Last edited by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB; 07-28-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Very well stated, Bob.

What did I miss when you mentioned we don't have to bring food and beverage?

Its my understanding that Bill has arranged for the building, chairs and tables, but I'm thinking the rest is up to "us", which is just fine.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

I reread Bill's input and looks like you are right. Bring your own food and drink.
Thanks Karl, I corrected my statement.
AZ Bob

Last edited by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB; 07-28-2016 at 12:54 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Count me in. I haven't been on the forum much but saw the thread. I would love to have a chance to get my car back on the tracks again. She is getting some new Avon shoes that will need to get broken in! I would love both the track or auto cross and will do my best not to embarass myself!
Ron
Old 07-28-2016, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

I agree with Bob. I will be there for sure.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR; 5.0 EFI w/ 350 hp Trickflow Kit
Not Ranked     

I haven't been on Club Cobra for awhile, but what I see about the Anniversary Party is great, and a little sad. As was mentioned, we are all a little longer in the tooth than we were when all this started, but we're not dead yet. I, for one, would love an opportunity to slide the cobra and/or my Boss 302 around the autocross. As my brother told me, it's harder to do something silly when you look old enough to know better! The autocross is an opportunity to push hard, make noise and smoke some tires without concern for scrutiny. It would be pure mechanized joy and I'm all for it. With the autocross option, I'll bet both of my sons will want to participate. So.....count me in for three drivers. I'll bet we can get 30 easily, and that's just Cobra Club members and guests.

The annual Yankee swap and awards presentations are classic CC events that really brings the members together. We should schedule that for near the end of our time, and maybe even end the autocross so that everyone can participate as a club. People might even earn some new awards if they do something really spectacular (like lose a wheel) on the track! Track events and club social events really are different; maybe we can have both if we schedule things properly???

These are just thoughts, but I do like adding the autocross to the day's events.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 1574 331 Blown
Not Ranked     

I haven't read everything here however here couple thoughts, I believe the Pantera has invite us out to events in the past we should return the favor. If we want more cars maybe we can keep it in the family sort of, Vipers are a part of the Shelby tree. As for the Mustangs, yes they would bring to many, with that except we have some members here that are Mustangs owner, Bob B, Lyle and Car Nut are a couple I can think of and of course they should be welcome to drive their cars. My 2 cents for the moment... Quick edit, invite any Ford GT-40 & Ford GT out there as well

Last edited by Paul Gillespie; 07-30-2016 at 10:44 AM..