Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKIV Roadster, 347ci, 475HP
Not Ranked     
Default Arizona DMV - Expert on kit cars

I'm looking at buying a Factory Five car out of Connecticut. The registration is done, but the car was never titled. Owner died before it was finished.

Has anyone found a good person to ask questions at DMV?

For the F5R guys, what is your car titled as?

Thanks, Rob
Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

titled as the year it replicates. Mine as a 1965 with historic plates. The one in north Scottsdale has been successful I understand.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thats the problem. He registered it as a 69 Cobra for some reason.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Mine is titled as 1965 Spcon Cobra Roadster.
You will need receipts, certificate of origin from FFR, and take it to an inspection station. There is one at the DMV near 59th Ave and Bell. It's pretty painless, but bring a book or something, it can be a long wait.
Be prepared, they may charge you AZ sales tax too.
I don't understand how it can be registered, but not titled. The car has to be finished in AZ for inspection.

Last edited by MKS427; 02-17-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

I found a 69 Cobra Replica in Laguna Hills, CA. It has no description, but it is not a Cabra replica as it is a rear engine kit. Maybe an 818.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
You will need receipts, certificate of origin from FFR, and take it to an inspection station. There is one at the DMV near 59th Ave and Bell. It's pretty painless, but bring a book or something, it can be a long wait.
I don't understand how it can be registered, but not titled. The car has to be finished in AZ for inspection.
Right on the Registration, it says, "No title for historical class"
Old 02-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Rob, I believe that they will transfer whatever "titled as" you have to the same or equivalent title here. I've used both the north Scottsdale office and the Mesa office just south of Sportsmen's Warehouse. I find the Mesa office easier to deal with.
moore_rb likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 02-17-2019, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not from AZ but none the less, sounds like a proof of ownership issue to resolve.

You need:
1) Copy of Death Certificate (identifying spouse if any).

If owner died Interstate (without a will)
1) Letter from probate judge naming Administrator of Estate
2) "Release of all Liens" from Administrator of Estate

If owner died with a Will:
1) Get a letter from Probate Court showing proof of appointment of Executor of the Will.
2) Get a "Release of all Liens" from Executor of Will.

Reasons for the above is for protection against any claim of ownership
or liens after your purchase. Bill-Of-Sale only is insufficient proof.

Also, it is possible DMV may require you to purchase a surety bond protecting
AZ against any claim/dispute in ownership of untitled car when titled in your name by DMV.
moore_rb likes this.

Last edited by Unique427; 02-17-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Old 02-17-2019, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, all good info. I hope I can get it.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
Mark-

You only need the manufacturer's certificate of origin when you are title-ing a car for the FIRST time- Once there is a title issued (in any state) that state keeps the MCO document- The MCO document is the largest piece of innaccucarate mis-information found on Club Cobra when it comes to titling a special construction vehicle. If you have an MCO, then great- If you don't have one, then don't sweat it.

Anyone can get an SPCON title in Arizona without an MCO. I've done it at least 5 times over the past 20 years.

Rob- What you need to verify is that the vehicle ID number printed on the Connecticut title/registration, matches a number (any number) stamped, rivetted, or otherwise attached to the car itself. If there is number on the title that matches a number on the car, then AZDMV will do a simple 12 dollar title document swap, and issue you title, tags and license plate; but the year on the AZ title would still show 69, same as the year on the connecticut title (which isn't really a big deal since 69 is still old enough to get you out of doing the annual emissions test in Arizona)

Hope this helps

Last edited by moore_rb; 02-18-2019 at 08:57 AM..
Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMRobAZ View Post
Right on the Registration, it says, "No title for historical class"

That means Connecticutt doesn't issue titles for historic cars (lots of states back east do that) but if there is a transfer of ownership form on the back of the paper, then fill it out, and take it with you to AZ DMV...
Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_rb View Post
Mark-

You only need the manufacturer's certificate of origin when you are title-ing a car for the FIRST time- Once there is a title issued (in any state) that state keeps the MCO document- The MCO document is the largest piece of innaccucarate mis-information found on Club Cobra when it comes to titling a special construction vehicle. If you have an MCO, then great- If you don't have one, then don't sweat it.

Anyone can get an SPCON title in Arizona without an MCO. I've done it at least 5 times over the past 20 years.

Rob- What you need to verify is that the vehicle ID number printed on the Connecticut title, matches a number (any number) stamped, rivetted, or otherwise attached to the car itself. If there is number on the title that matches a number on the car, then AZDMV will do a simple 12 dollar title document swap, and issue you title, tags and license plate; but the year on the AZ title would still show 69, same as the year on the connecticut title (which isn't really a big deal since 69 is still old enough to get you out of doing the annual emissions test in Arizona)

Hope this helps
One thing to add regarding MCO's.
When you buy a new production car the dealership sends in the MCO.
A replica car MCO will show the date, buyer's name and address.
If you are the 2nd buyer of a yet untitled replica car from original owner in possession of the MCO, original owner must sign/date to match the Bill-Of-Sale for it to remain valid for DMV submission.
If the MCO is unsigned due to original owner's passing or whatever, it's not a showstopper but DMV will likely not accept it as it was intended for.
moore_rb likes this.

Last edited by Unique427; 02-18-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Old 02-18-2019, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Rob, from many of the previous posts, over the years, I'd recommend the DMV office in Mesa, off Greenfield Rd. Seems like they have a good understanding of the process and many people have had their best luck there. My 2¢.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 418
Not Ranked     
Default AZ title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMRobAZ View Post
I'm looking at buying a Factory Five car out of Connecticut. The registration is done, but the car was never titled. Owner died before it was finished.

Has anyone found a good person to ask questions at DMV?

For the F5R guys, what is your car titled as?

Thanks, Rob
I think AZ assigns their "own" VIN no. to replica and or kit cars ... at least mine
has an AZ VIN sticker and the same no. on the title so I couldn't change the new title back to the original Backdraft VIN. I believe you"ll need a statement of origin and a bill of sale to get your new title and registration. DMV offices are like an outhouse, you know it's going to stink inside but sometimes you have no other choice. Good Luck!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I am flying out next week to look at the car and the paperwork. Lunch is on me if you see me at the next meet.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 396 Windsor Stroker (Formerly: Unique 427 powered by a 351W with mysterious innards)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Mark-

AZ title would still show 69, same as the year on the connecticut title (which isn't really a big deal since 69 is still old enough to get you out of doing the annual emissions test in Arizona)

Hope this helps
My 69 F100 is required to pass emissions (it failed, FYI). I think the cutoff is 1967.
ront49 likes this.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

AZ DMV assigns their own VIN. Since you don’t have a title the first step will be to get a title. You will need proof of ownership (bill of sale, notarized) and receipts. The DMV will do a Level 3 inspection (not all stations can do this and they only do it on certain days so call ahead). Once it passes that you will get an AZ VIN and will get a title application and go into the main DMV offside for a title and registration. Mine was registered as a SPCON (special construction) as the year it represents (tell them 1965).
ront49 likes this.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
AZ DMV assigns their own VIN.
Only sometimes... Not always.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have an appointment for a Level III paperwork review on Wednesday. The Chandler office woman said its either a 69 Cobra as registered, or a 65 Cobra Salvage. Yikes!! Better to get the inspector to approve the paperwork first.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Only sometimes... Not always.
Correct - they sometimes use the manufacturers VIN.