Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2022, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1115
Not Ranked     
Default One final attempt to find a good local tuner in the Phoenix area

I honestly can't believe I can't find someone to simply tune my coyote... is it just today's business?

I have a very good running coyote FFR build, it has a tune in it now and runs out and drives great however the idle is too high, it is not a vacuum leak and I'm quite certain it's in the tune.

I have tried a number of places locally, I can't even get a response... I tried Keith at Modern Performance and while he tells me he doesn't take appointments and that he is drop off only I've tried twice now and he keeps telling me "the next few weeks are no good for me" which makes no sense when he says he's drop off only.

I thought I would try one more time to see if someone knows a local tuner, I am not going to track the car, just a Sunday cruiser, it runs great with no issues just needs some dialing in... and I'm not even looking for a good deal out there.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

What kind of tuning are you looking for? If you have a full Ford ECU like from a Mustang then it shouldn't be too hard to find a SCT type tuner guy, even remote. Try John Lund. You'll need to find a dyno but he runs his stuff remotely.

On the other hand, if you're looking to entirely reprogram the Ford ECU or run with a off-the-shelf fuel injection system or run it without fuel injection with carbs, you're looking for a very special skill for the Coyote and may want to reconsider that path.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Tony, the car was a complete kit from FFR but the guy who put the drivetrain in had a tune installed on the FFR supplied Ford ECU (which he sent me) I don't have the equipment to plug in and have Lund remotely access.

It is a stock crate Gen 1 coyote

Early on I talked with a few people who said they would plug in and tune on a dyno or have Lund excess and take it for several rides, prices ranged in the $500-$700 range and i was thrilled with this... but now I can't even get a place to respond.

I talked to one guy who said he wants $1400 just to plug in for Lund not including the rides he will have to take... I am not new to this and know that's a ridiculous price.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've had LS motors and Harleys tuned, typically a 2-5 hour process depending on dyno vs ride sessions with the car.

The car appears to run excellent with just a high idle, I know it's still a process with the tune but I can't see paying upwards of $2k to get it dialed in.

I just thought it would be easier living in the greater Phoenix area to get this done... I will keep searching

Last edited by Robertk; 06-23-2022 at 06:40 PM..
Old 06-23-2022, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Lund process starts with a SCT tuner. Your dyno guy is Lunds eyes, ears and fingers... Everything is with a laptop and email.

Try one of the Mustang forums. Forget the Cobra aspect just look for a local modern engine tuner.

There is increasing resistance to tuning these engines due to California regs leaking into other places.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-23-2022 at 07:57 PM..
Old 06-23-2022, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
The Lund process starts with a SCT tuner. Your dyno guy is Lunds eyes, ears and fingers... Everything is with a laptop and email.

Try one of the Mustang forums. Forget the Cobra aspect just look for a local modern engine tuner.

There is increasing resistance to tuning these engines due to California regs leaking into other places.
Thanks again Tony, funny I just joined the coyote mustang group on FB.

The car does have an sct tuner the guy added because he was having an idle and stalling issue... he then installed the speed sensor and apparently there is about when I high idle started.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Robertk, with all the JAFMs running around, I have to think you'll be able to find a good tuner familiar with your engine.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

AMP. All mustang performance
Old 06-24-2022, 01:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Try PRK in Mesa.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 06-24-2022, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I am going to try both of those this morning.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have you spoke with SCT tech support? They have quite a selection of canned tunes. Sound like yours is stock with exception of the headers and cold air intake.
I used to email them mine and they'd do a tweak here and there. Once The motor got into heavy mods though that went out the window.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Have you spoke with SCT tech support? They have quite a selection of canned tunes. Sound like yours is stock with exception of the headers and cold air intake.
I used to email them mine and they'd do a tweak here and there. Once The motor got into heavy mods though that went out the window.
Thank you... I am getting a bit educated with all this, the guy who did the drievtrain did to a SCT tuner which he emailed me.

Frankly I thought this was a simple dial in on the tune with a dyno or drive sessions like I did with my Harley.

I will be talking with the drivetrain installer this morning (unfortunately he is in Maryland) to get a bit more information

Apparently the SCT tuner was installed prior to the speed sensor and after the speed sensor was added that's when the idle went up and he couldn't remove the tuner.

Again I'm getting a bit more educated with this, thanks again.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertk View Post
Thank you... I am getting a bit educated with all this, the guy who did the drievtrain did to a SCT tuner which he emailed me.

Frankly I thought this was a simple dial in on the tune with a dyno or drive sessions like I did with my Harley.

I will be talking with the drivetrain installer this morning (unfortunately he is in Maryland) to get a bit more information

Apparently the SCT tuner was installed prior to the speed sensor and after the speed sensor was added that's when the idle went up and he couldn't remove the tuner.

Again I'm getting a bit more educated with this, thanks again.
I'm not sure you understand how the SCT tuner works.

In the "old days" tuners would literally swap a "chip" into the ECU. Those days are ancient history.

The SCT Tuner (and others) are basically a software program loader. You can't email a SCT tuner. It's a handheld unit that plugs into your OBDII port. What he emailed you was the tune file that is loaded via USB into the SCT unit. Then the SCT is connected to the car and the car's "firmware tables" are updated. The SCT is set up to retain a copy of the original "tune" and VIN and the tuner becomes "married" to that vehicle (to prevent mass distribution of tunes, they are individually created and considered intellectual property so you can't just use the tuner to set up dozens of cars).
Old 06-24-2022, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

WHEW! glad my Webers are so simple.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
WHEW! glad my Webers are so simple.
Thanks again Tony, I am getting educated but was aware the tune was loaded to the car and I was sent the file... I may just not be using all the right terms through this and again getting an education along the way.

I was under the impression that someone with the ability, hardware and software could dial in some of the functions on the current tune with a dyno or short drives... perhaps I am wrong.

I have owned Harleys and always put a tuner on the bikes with modifications, these are "self learning" tunes so all I need to do run some sessions. I do understand I am not dealing with "self learning" with this coyote.

Again I am not sure if this current tune can be "dialed in" or do I need a "new tune" installed

I also understand it can be done remotely but I am not equipped with the hardware and software needed.

I am certainly not aware of exactly how it works so thos is helping
Old 06-24-2022, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your help Tony... I just got off the phone with the guy who installed the drivetrain.

The car started with the all Ford components, he was having issues with the car stalling and got a tune from JDM I think it is to fix this. He already had a SCT tuner for the install, car ran great until he then installed the speed sensor and that's when the idle changed, he attempted to remove the JDM tune and couldn't refer back to the original on the Ford ECU.

I hope this all makes sense and it appears I am actually looking for a new tune installed by a local shop or a way for a remote tune to be installed in which I need an SCT tuner or similar to download this to the ECU.

As I said I'm getting educated and still looking for a local tuner to do the job at this point.

Forgive my ignorance on all this, when it comes to the build body and paint I'm in my wheelhouse but clearly not in the electronics
Old 07-04-2022, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fixed
Old 07-04-2022, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Robertk; who did you get to help you?
Old 07-05-2022, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I couldn't get anyone.

There was a tune on the car from JMS Chip and performance, I looked them up on Google and seen that they advertise the "fix" tune which eliminated the deceleration stall on the coyote... I read through lots of threads on some forums with coyote installs talking about exactly this tune vs speed dial.
I also knew a speed dial was added with the speed sensor to this car which was also for deceleration stall.

I read you do NOT do both, its one or the other and there could be a conflict with both so my options were to try to dump the JMS tune or remove the speed dial.

I disconnected the speed dial and the car idled perfect, about 1100 at start up and within a few seconds down to 650.
Took the car out for some extensive driving Sunday and Monday to test idle, stall, driving temp etc and it performed excellent... all came down to unplugging something.

Thank you again. Bob

Last edited by Robertk; 07-05-2022 at 06:27 AM..
Old 07-05-2022, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's good news. Now you can enjoy driving your car, at least until the next "thing" happens. Most of these cars are never "done".
Old 07-05-2022, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
That's good news. Now you can enjoy driving your car, at least until the next "thing" happens. Most of these cars are never "done".
I'm anticipating it but will absolutely enjoy it till then,

Thanks again.