12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     
Default Drag day, Speed Word, 1 March 2008

Drag day, Speed Word, 1 March 2008
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I'm going to miss this one. Already have two commitments for the day. Did just go there yesterday and had a good time. Came close to getting thrown out again since I got 'way too close to the wall. Made some 4 link adjustments and helped that out a bunch. Now, I need to work on the coil overs. Carried the left front tire out to almost half track and have to cure that. The track was in excellent shape with bunches of hook up.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none yet but it will be mostly scratch
Not Ranked     
Default requote

in the land of pigs a Cobra gets way too many tickets
Old 02-25-2008, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4752K
Not Ranked     

Hey Greg,
Stupid question but do they have helmets available to rent there? I'm not sure if my car (and my driving!) would do better than a 14.00 but I think it would be safer to just have one anyway.

I wanted to go last year but had shock issues so I couldn't make it. I have an afternoon commitment on Saturday but I think I'd like to come out in the morning. I'm a newbie so I'll be there to give you guys someone to laugh at! I'm sure I'll do something stupid.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
Hey Greg,
Stupid question but do they have helmets available to rent there? I'm not sure if my car (and my driving!) would do better than a 14.00 but I think it would be safer to just have one anyway.

I wanted to go last year but had shock issues so I couldn't make it. I have an afternoon commitment on Saturday but I think I'd like to come out in the morning. I'm a newbie so I'll be there to give you guys someone to laugh at! I'm sure I'll do something stupid.
I'd let you use a helmet if you like. Don't worry about breaking any records. It's all about having fun and most the guys are just trying to improve on their personal best. There should be people running in the 9s to 17s. It's all good.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 FFR MKII STROKER 514
Not Ranked     

I have actually raced a truck and an El Camino SS out there and it is a lot of fun but I have to work saturday which sucks because i would really like to go out and have a little more fun!!!

Jim
Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 4752K
Not Ranked     

Had a great time today. Very nice to meet you, Greg. Thanks again for snapping some pictures for me. They turned out really well.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Ok, so how did you guys run today? Any ETs, pictures, or videos to share?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here are a few images of the day.

SECC 1 March 2008 day at drags

I made two passes starting from about 1000 rpm.

60ft time - 1.742,
1/4 time - 10.936
trap speed 127.907

60ft time - 1.681
1/4 time - 10.871
trap speed 127.695
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Those are some impressive times Greg. I know you are running a roush 427 but can you tell me more about your setup. Gearing, Hp, tires etc...?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
Those are some impressive times Greg. I know you are running a roush 427 but can you tell me more about your setup. Gearing, Hp, tires etc...?
The Roush 427R is the basic deal with single plane intake. I got rid of much of the goofy stuff that robs power and some other stuff that might break, so now the motor can put out close to what it should at the wheels with reasonable reliability. It's about 475 HP at the wheels now. The performance and reliablity things I changed to from how the car was delivered are:
1000 cfm Pro-Systems carburetor
S&B taller oval air cleaner
8AN (1/2) fuel line from tank pick up to carb
Aeromotive 100 micron fuel filter
Upgraded half shafts from The Drive Shaft Shop
Detroit Tru-track rear installed inside the Ford 8.8
2 inch primary headers
Buckshot Racefab stainless side pipes
McLeod light weight flywheel
SPEC stage 3 clutch
SWI engine mounts

I have a set of 275/60 15 Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials. I drive around town with about 21 psi and also the same at the strip I've found works well for the casual starts. Just start from idle and nail it. That's about it. It has the stock Superformance IRS design and the basic TKO 600 with a 3.73 rear gear. The tires are 28" tall.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

As someone who drag races a lot I wanted ask your opinion of how much time you think you would loose with a 3:27 rear end. That is currently what I am running. It sticks very well but I have been toying with stepping up to a 3.55 or a 3.73. Obviously faster is better but I dont want it breaking loose every time I get on it either.

Last edited by mpanten; 03-03-2008 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2008, 07:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Greg,
I was also at the track during some of your first few runs and see from the T slips your only getting better. I know you have done a lot of upgrades on the rear and have a few questions. Are you running safety hoops or any 1/2 shaft retention system? Have you removed the rear sway bar and soften up the compression setting of the r shock function. If so how much change did you find?
Thanks Jeff C
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanten View Post
As someone who drag races a lot I wanted ask your opinion of how much time you think you would loose with a 3:27 rear end. That is currently what I am running. It sticks very well but I have been toying with stepping up to a 3.55 or a 3.73. Obviously faster is better but I dont want it breaking loose every time I get on it either.
I've only had this particular car to the drag strip a few times with club events, but as I understand trap speed should be pretty much relative to the power the car has on the particular pass and very consistent. As long as you're not running out of gear on the top end the rear gear ratio shouldn't make much difference for the trap speed. For the time it improves or worsens greatly as 60ft time changes. Harder launch and gear ratio to improve on the initial start would improve time. Every .1 second give or take for the 60ft = about .2 at the end.

I think the 275/60 15s Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials would hold quite a bit more power than I have. It just comes down to the track conditions for the day. On the street they're incredible.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
Hey Greg,
I was also at the track during some of your first few runs and see from the T slips your only getting better. I know you have done a lot of upgrades on the rear and have a few questions. Are you running safety hoops or any 1/2 shaft retention system? Have you removed the rear sway bar and soften up the compression setting of the r shock function. If so how much change did you find?
Thanks Jeff C
I think the only diffrence is I figured out to run a little over 20 psi in the tires and the track has been a good prep lately. In the past I was running to low of pressure and the track was slippery making it impossible to have a decent passs.

I have the stock Superformance IRS, but with stronger half shafts. The drive shaft has the stock Superformance hoop and a disc parking break. For the half shafts I don't think they'll ever break just farting out of the hole off idle as long as the drive line is pre loaded going forward. For me I just know the potential to knock .2 or .3 off the 60ft time is there. I just don't have the desire to beat on the car to do it I guess. A 1.45 60ft would be a low 10 instead of a 1.7 60ft being a high 10.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Greg, I saw your car up for sale. What's up with that, are you bored with the Cobra?

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 03-03-2008, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Greg, I saw your car up for sale. What's up with that, are you bored with the Cobra?
I'm going to get married and need the money for house.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info/reply Greg.
Jeff C
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Is it appropriate to offer congratulations and condolences at the same time? I wish you every happiness in your marriage. Sorry you have to sell your car. It was a special one..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 03-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Is it appropriate to offer congratulations and condolences at the same time? I wish you every happiness in your marriage. Sorry you have to sell your car. It was a special one..
I was thinking the same thing. If you're selling the car to buy a house, that's typically a positive decision. If you're selling the car to get married, then we need to talk.

P.S. Greg has built one stout, fast SPF.