Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

You have to be comfortable. For more than round the block trips as well. Lowered seats, altered pedals all help but the 100 mm longer Harrison is another dimension. I am 6 ft and 81kgs and find it very easy to be in for long periods. Warwick has his own compliant seat frames as well and these add more room as you can make them quite thin and set them back and low.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.
Interestingly I tried on a RMC today and while it was a bit cramped in the footwell, I did fit in it. And that with a non-ideal sit position. Maybe there is hope ....
I might have to plan a trip east to try on some others I think
Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default head east

Jethrow head east the weekend of last week Sept/1st weekend Oct for the 2010 Cobra Nats and you can sit in and try about 100 of em in all different shapes on sizes! Well worth it!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Hi Jethrow,

The important thing to remember is that these cars are custom made. You can do what ever you want. Obviously there is ultimate limitations, but leg room can be gained by modifications to the floor (dropping it between the chassis rails), modification to the dash (moulding a raised section so the column can be raised and seat), choosing seats that are thinner at the back, modifying the foot boxes to go further forward and then getting funky with the exhaust, using revers swing or floor mount pedals, etc.

At the end of the day, it is a mid engined race car. They were never designed for comfort.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Venom Motorsports will make you a body / chassis to your liking.
Check out my pics for a look at the chassis and body.
All of my changes have been met with enthusiasm and positive thinking.
Footwells are extended to allow longer legs in.
contact no is 0438 289 427
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the post sjelby. I must admit I had not heard of Venom Motorsports. Do they have a website hidden away somewhere I have not found? Any kit photos or prices? I would like to see what they offer and how they compare.
Thanks again
Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

web site is coming i believe. have a look at my pics them look up ac cobra on ebay. mine is commodore rear and mustang front. ebay is setup for jag front and rear.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

will have to find my pics again. look again soon.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More questions for everyone (anyone?) ....

Actually 2 questions.

1. Does anyone here know anything about the BDM Cobra's. I did find a post a while back from a guy named malcomm but he seems to have disappeared without sharing much info. Anyway, the chassis of the car looks quite good, and the website claims it offers more interior room. Has anyone from here seen one, got pix, info etc?

2. And for a small change of direction, I have been looking at some of the US kits and they do seem to offer exceptional value, esp with our aussie dollar getting higher and higher. Anyone done this at all? I would think it would only cost shipping plus GST to get one here. And in particular, the new Mk4 from FFR seems pretty neat. Comments?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Jethrow,

BDM will have a stand at the Nationals, so I think everyone will get a chance to see those kits.

Whilst there have been some US kits imported, I personally do not think it is worth the hassle. The stuff available here is already beam and torsion tested, right hand drive and has plenty of support.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Jethrow, given the current hassles of registration in most states, having had the torsion and beam testing, etc., done by the manufacturer is a must for most of us. Hence importing is a major challenge as is any untested chassis. There seem to be lots of built Cobras for sale at the moment with falling prices.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default cars

Jethro, importing cars poses a whole set of new "issues"..... For a street registered compliant car I would recommend IMO to buy Aussie Made from scratch and have the car made for you. Or buy a registered car and have it modded to suit you. If you have the $'s and are prepared to spend them anything is possible. Apparently BDR (USA LHD/STH AFRICAN RHD) are in Australia (WA Based) but I don't have any more info than that. Warwick Harrison knows a bit more about it I believe.)

I will have "hopefully" have my USA made Backdraft at the Nats and your welcome to have a seat. But it is a race car not a street car so how they compare I can't confirm. It should at least give you an idea of foot room and steering position. You'll just have to think in mirror reverse..

Spookypt
Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post

I will have "hopefully" have my USA made Backdraft at the Nats and your welcome to have a seat.
Haha - That's like Schumacher offering someone a chance to sit in his F1 so that they can determine if they will fit in a B180 Mercedes...

(Oh yeah, it's a car analogy, I'm not comparing you to Shuey )
Old 09-19-2010, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Bringing in a FFR is easy, I did it with their Coupe and got it licensed in WA. There is another licensed FFR Coupe in WA aswell. Only problem is converting left to right drive, I did the conversion with a Cortina steering rack.

Bank on about 10-12k AU to bring a kit into Oz.

Last edited by albanycobra; 09-19-2010 at 03:29 AM.. Reason: added freight
Old 09-21-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just in case people are interested, BDM have some new photos on their site of a completed car. Would be interested to hear any thoughts on the shape of this car, but I must admit I do like the look of the chassis!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
Just in case people are interested, BDM have some new photos on their site of a completed car. Would be interested to hear any thoughts on the shape of this car, but I must admit I do like the look of the chassis!
As mentioned in another thread about BDM, they look to be using a DRB body - they can look good, but are probably the least accurate of any OZ manufacturer. While the chassis does look real good, as does the build quality on the web site, its a pity they couldnt have got a more authentic shape. Most people couldnt tell the difference of course. Will be interested to take a look at the nats.