Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Thx Graham,

I believe I will take you up on that offer. I had a look in your gallery and your car looks great. Quick question tho. I noticed the extra brake light in the roll bar. In fact I see those extra brake lights on a few cars. Are they now a legal requirement?

Thx.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

They have been a requirement for a number of years.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, Jag chassis, Holden HSV 5ltr engine, 5 speed Getrag box.
Not Ranked     

Yes these high level brake lights are a requirement for your engineering cert. and also getting over the pits.

They must be ADR approved, and I have used a Hella strip light which is ADR approved.

regards. Graham
Old 07-23-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, Ford 5.4 SOHC 3v
Not Ranked     
Default You can be too tall for a Cobra.

Jethrow,

Some years ago one of our club members had a friend about 6'8" in his RMC Cobra, he had to slump down
with his knees hard up into the dash board and his head was still above the top of the windscreen.
He could not drive it, it was hard enough just being a passenger.
We have a few tall members in the club and they fit.
They should make them all a bit longer.
Try a few and see how you go, the seat and seat position vary from Cobra to Cobra.

Harry.
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Check with Warwick Harrison. There may be some extended Harrisons over that way. It is a real pain if you take all the time, effort and dollars to build a Cobra and then find that you can't spend more than 30 mins driving the thing, due to foot, knee, hip or back problems. The right combination of well designed, thin seats, low setting and extra leg room and pedal space is necessary for most of us over 6 feet (regardless of weight!).

I had only one problem with the Harrison, the accelerator pedal was at an uncomfortable angle initially. That was easily fixed by re-shaping the pedal lever. A bonus in the Harrison (and possibly others) is how the accelerator pedal is set into to side panel to make extra room for the clutch and brake pedals.

It is also good to go and see some builds as they are fitting seats and you can try different set ups. No matter how good the Cobra may look in the garage or how many HP it may have, you have to be comfortable driving it for quite a few hours. Otherwise you will end up selling it.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

This gives u some idea of seat height and size in a Harrison

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx again for the input everyone. And I think for sure a call to Warwick is in order.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrymac View Post
Jethrow,

Some years ago one of our club members had a friend about 6'8" in his RMC Cobra, he had to slump down with his knees hard up into the dash board and his head was still above the top of the windscreen.

Harry.
Great photo Harry! The most impressive Cobra for a tall guy must the the standard 90" wheelbase car that's had some pedal and dash mods for leg room, but then some real thought has gone into sinking the seat as low and far back as possible so that his line of sight in under the windscreen frame. An occasional contributor on Club Cobra owns it, and he is a fair dinkum, no bull 7 FOOT TALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Pictures tell the story...

Last edited by 750hp; 07-24-2010 at 04:22 AM..
Old 07-25-2010, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, Ford 5.4 SOHC 3v
Not Ranked     

Wow Craig,

He is not only tall, but solid as well. (Where there's a will there's a way).
Imagine him pulling up in a Cobra then getting out, you would be wondering HOW!.

Thanks for the pic Craig.

Harry.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tim,

I am 6' 4" and 90Kg and have a Harrison with the extra 100mm and the fit is great. It would be great to have a Cobra with original wheelbase but you have to practical and I'm pleased with the decision to have the longer wheelbase.

Peter
Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Peter.

Was just looking in your gallery - looks like your car is coming along nicely. I look forwards to seeing it finished.

So as a recent-ish buyer of the Harrison kit, may I ask how you found the body to be? Did it take much finishing work prior to painting? Thx.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tim

I haven't had the car painted yet but as with most of the kit bodies it does require a lot of prep.
For the rest of it 'though the Harrison is a fairly straightforward build especially when you have a resource as rich as this forum to help.

Peter
Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You leave all the prep to the painter. It is just not worth the trouble and dust and the savings are not that great.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have heard (or read) that perhaps G-Force has the best 'out-of-the-mold' finish. Can anyone comment on this?

Thx.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

The new GForce bodies look nice but still need a modest amount of fairing and filling.

Though I suspect the new bodies need less filling than the older bodies.

I watched a local build some 2 years ago on a new bodied GF end with work to top of front and rear guards for the roundness and a few other spots.

Still out of the mould they look nice and there is a GF on one of the sale sites right now that looks atreat in just gel coat.

Given they a local to you Jethrow, the choice wouldn't be silly to go with a GF kit.

Still think the rear of the cabin area and the way the floor is laid out is a design downfall that limits seat options. I don't believe that was changed on the new moulds. It's about the only gripe I have with the kit.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2010, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jethrow - i have painted a quiet a few harrison bodies and the body preparation is included in the price of painting the body.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And I can add that Des does a great job at the right price!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance number 720
Not Ranked     

Hi Tim try a superformance cobra.I know of a 6'6'' Guy who owns one.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi again everyone.

After a month working OS I am back in aus again with some time off, so I went to visit Rob at G-Force. Beautiful cars, they look fabulous right out of the mold. But, I did not fit in it at all, struggling with knee to dash clearance (as many of you predicted!).

Anyone got a stretched Harrison in WA I can look at?

Thx
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

How hard do your knees hit the dash? I am 6ft tall and 114kg and fit in a G-Force, my knees just touch the standard dash, my car was set up for a tall driver. I am having a new dash laser cut that will give me clearence, You're welcome to try my G-Force for size if you like.

Remember that you allways get a few centimeters out of the pedals aswell with carefull placement. I know Robs seats are high in padding so maybe you should sitting in a G-Force with out a seat . My first sit in a Gt40 pushed my head 100mm above the roof.....I almost cried but the kind owner removed the drivers seat and I tried again, this time I was level with roof and could shut the door . I ordered my car with a 50mm dropped floor and everything is sweet.

My point is that there are many ways to fit in a car and maybe you might need to do a few slight mods to the seat and chassis to get you in. G-Force has a great car and good local support.

Last edited by albanycobra; 09-08-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: spelling