Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     
Default New Harrison ready for final QT inspection

In about a weeks time, I hope to have the Cobra registered and ready to take on a few test runs. As I am the third owner of chassis number 9, it has been a long road for this build. I have had it for about 2.5 years but due to a very busy work schedule, decided to ask Warwick to finish it to a stage where I could get it on the road. Thanks goes to Warwick, Peter Hancock, Harbourtown Paint and Curumbin Trimmers who all did a great job in putting it together. The 4.6L motor is from a Mustang (was fitted when I bought the chassis) with a Tremec gearbox, Voodoo blue paint and Halibrand replica wheels.

The first QT inspection was in mid December and I had to trailer the Cobra to Gladstone (2 hour drive) but almost didn't make it. On the highway, I was overtaken by one of those 'wicked' backpacker vans who must have been checking out the car as he pulled out in front of a Commodore trying to overtake us both. So for a few hundred metres, there were three of us abreast barrelling down the single lane highway - very nerve racking. The Commodore stopped a couple of k's down the road and gestured furiously as the van went past who amazingly stopped as well - I kept going so not sure what happened.

The inspection required about a half dozen minor issues to be resolved before sign off so this has given me a chance to go over the build carefully and make sure everthing was ok whilst carrying out the fixes.

So hopefully, everything will go ok on the 1st Feb and am planning to make a couple of trips to Brisbane this year for a club breakfast or two. Also greatly appreciate the forum and other club members comments and ideas.

Derek

Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Looking good and well done Derek. Hope we can meet up soon!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Wow

Derek,

Looking Great!

Mick
Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Nice car Derek. You can't go wrong with that colour/stripe/wheel combination - the classic look! Keen to see some engine bay and interior shots when you have a chance.

All the best with the inspection.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Looks sweeeeeet Derek, Good luck

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well done Derek. Looks great.
How old would the chassis actually be? Are there any major differences over the later Harrisons? More photos please.
Bruce
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sweet Derek. LookS nice! Have you got the original harrison front A arm set up being an older chassis or is it the newer DunnyDore front end pov pack?

SpookyPT
Old 01-23-2011, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dunnydore front end pov pack?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Bruce, he means "Commodore Poverty Pack" - have you already forgotten how to speak 'strayan?

Mine is chassis #78 and has VS Commodore lower arms and subframe with fabricated upper A-arms. Here's a photo, sans calipers...

Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Well done Derek, Mine is Voodoo Blue with white stripe as well. I get lots of great comments on the colour. I am sure you will too. Have fun driving.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh I thought he was refering to a mustang front end
I got same front end you got.
I talk aussiwexican
Old 01-23-2011, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, very happy with the finish - under the skin is nothing flash but I hope to add a few personal touches, tidy up the underbody and engine bay paint etc over the next couple of years. The main effort was put into getting it on the road.

Not sure how old the chassis is but the manual was printed in 2001 so it would be about the same. Warwick has added the extra gussets and front cross bar that the latter chassis have but am not sure on any other differences. Rear end is Skyline and front end is Holden HQ (A arm setup) Larger brakes were also fitted.

Paint is also Voodoo Blue which I decided on after seeing your pics Gregg (thought I was far enough away to be safe) and have also had several positive comments on the colour. The picture was taken on an overcast day and looks better in the sun. I think there is some pearl in the paint as well.

Looking forward to taking it on a few first careful test drives next week to see how it handles on the road. We have some nice driving roads from Yeppoon to Byfield or Emu Park to go for a blat (strayan for 'drive'?)

Old 01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Which QT station Derek?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv,

Rockhampton this time - planning to grab another car trailer for the short trip across.

Derek
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Derek, Glad to be of service. BTW I chose my Voodoo Blue after seeing a DRB540 from Benalla VIC painted that colour. Then I had a look at a commodore painted in Voodoo Blue and was sold on the colour. I just luv the voodoo blue and white stripes combo. I've got some pearl in my white as well. Have fun Derek and be careful out there. Every now and then my Cobra shows me why I should pay it respect. Rgds Gregg

Last edited by gjkrv8; 01-23-2011 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: cant spell
Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Very nice look.
Looks very well finished.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Looks great Derek, there's no denying that blue is a classic cobra colour.

Our car is #38, built 08/03 so it had been sitting a while as well b4 we purchased it in 2008 and began the build.

It has Warwicks' double A arms up front. The other difference is no step in the chassis to accommodate the exhaust so it's been a pain to get 4" ground clearance. I've wound the shocks pretty much right up so it's up on tippytoes........looks a bit funny with so much clearance between the tyres and guards.

Our car was issued with a VIN yesterday so we'll be on to QLD Trans for an appt for final.

Wondering what the inspectors ask you to rectify?

Greg
Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Forgot to mention your chassis number states the month and year build......
mine goes like this: WH0803032
WH......Harrison
0803......8th month 2003
032......build # 32
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You had a difficult build Greg, with so many systems on your car half done or older ones. QT at Maroochydore where very picky about wheel clearance, ride height (they have a bar on their hoist that would wipe out anything too low!) and the routing of the cables and fuel lines. They also asked about a grille (posted earlier). The usual checks of lights and demisters, etc and their suspension shaker to see if everything was tight. The rear brakes were close on mine to not being enough, but it did pass on all points, first time. As you, know I have since improved that area. I had to wait 9 weeks for an appointment after getting my chassis number/VIN. That was a long time and only accentuated the stress of it all. Luckily the flat bed tow truck guy that I used to take the car down, knew the two inspectors I had and they were very helpful and fair.

At the end I paid the money (!!) and called the insurance company before driving home.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Beautiful car! Any idea what the color it would be in the US. Voodoo Blue in the U.S. is on a 2007 Toyota FJ, and is a solid blue.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: