Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-04-2011, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

You need Go Jacks

http://www.gotools.com.au/GoJack.htm

These will help in moving car about.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the help & advice guys!

a) I can't close in the existing carport at all (council regs), and anyway Boxhead is right - not enough room to open the car doors.
b) I actually, begrudgingly, am rather fond of Kevin, so can't put out a contract on him
c) A wider roller door is probably the best idea. I have, however, a supporting post in the middle which I would have to move - structural challenge (but not impossible). I've decided therefore to actually go for the 2.5m door and probably employ GoJacks. Then I'll review things in a few years when the car is built - perhaps getting a sider door then will be the best option.
d) Most importantly, I already have a bar fridge for the shed, PLUS and old TV to watch the GPs (Moto and F1)!

Last edited by guye; 04-04-2011 at 05:06 AM..
Old 04-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Whatever size you make it, it will not be big enough.

I have five barns and they seem to be full...all of them.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
Whatever size you make it, it will not be big enough.

I have five barns and they seem to be full...all of them.

This is true.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hi Guy

You have the space you have - and as trularin says - you could always use more.

I think that you'll be ok with your intended design - no doubt there will be days when it seems tedious but that happens to everyone.

Having a covered area available adjacent to the shed will mean you can roll out some of the work and get stuck in under the carport.

I think that investing in lots of casters to easily move thing around will make your life a lot easier

Good luck

LoBelly
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
This is true.
Hey Boxhead...

By the looks of your place,

We should be calling you "Five Sheds"....

Bit like the famous Arthur " Two Sheds" Jackson !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

Cheers,
Warren " One Shed" Boylan
Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

that tree looks awefully dangerous to me. In a wind storm it could fall on your best neighbours garage where he spends 90% oif his time. does he like the tree?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Wazza, it is actually, 3 sheds, a donga, a rabbit shed (too big to call a hutch), and 2 horse stables.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye;11****6
Now I know you are all going to say that size DOES matter, but unfortunately I am limited at home (I know - snicker snicker....).

She-who-shall-be-obeyed suggested today, as I was staking boundaries, that I might as well bring the side wall of the impending shed out a bit into her garden to maximise the internal room! What a woman!

That will give me a shed about 4m wide. The length is fixed at 5.4m.

As you can see from the rough 3Ds below, the roll-a-door is NOT at the end but on the side. The roll-a-door is 2.5m wide.

I marked out the area on the road today, and I reckon I can get my car in (with a million-point manoeuvre) but the Cobra will be about 1m shorter, with a much shorter wheel base as well.

My main question is: what sort of turning circle do your cars have? Any one actually have a stat on this?

Do you think I will have enough space with working room, etc?

Any other comments or thoughts?

Looks OK to me....You make do with what you have. The Cobra will be sideways during the build. When it's finished it'll go in at an angle. You can drive it out ..no problem.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 302 Ford HO Block
Not Ranked     

Hi Guye,
I suspect that after the party Kevin wont be feeling too well and will eventually succumb to his injuries. Any changes in the root zone of a mature Eucalypt such as the excavation for footings and slab will inevitably damage the roots, it may take 5 years but I expect Kev's days are numbered. Most councils would allow trees within 3000mm of a building to be taken out and while you may like him he won’t respect you and will cause you grief eventually be it through dropped limbs, cracked walls, floors and foundations and not to mention the considerable amount of debris and inconvenience with vehicle manoeuvring. In my experience I would get the garage approved then if the tree’s removal was not addressed in the DA seek approval for the removal of the tree. Take the tree down get the stump ground out then use a small excavator to cut in your new driveway and excavate for the foundations of the garage. If you can’t get approval to remove the tree the excavation presents ample opportunity to feed Kev some glypho through damaged roots. When it is apparent Kev didn’t enjoy the excavation and drink seek approval for his removal and change the plan, then cut in your new drive.

cheers
Legless

Last edited by Legless; 04-14-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Old 04-15-2011, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Thanks Legless.

Good advice. I will most likely go for approach (b), as the tree is more then 3m from the dwelling now hence won't be an easy approval I don't think.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: