Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I think ff have a 289 in the works don't they? Mr Bruce already does one to for a ff frame.

I also thought the new mark 4 was flopped off dick smiths 198mph car, so "should" be right. I reckon it looks pretty good, maybe just the rear "skirt" section is a bit too flared or squared, where it should tuck under a bit more. Isnt part of the issue is that there probably isn't one "right" shape.

I too am curious as to what parts of the ff complete kit are and are not compliant. Would give a better picture of what may be required. This thread really has drifted away from the original post though......
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

No Mando, I was not saying that FF have (yet) a slab side. The, "This photo ..." sentence, refers to the URL below it. Ricks 289 is an NAF (North American Fiberglas) one made in the 80's I believe and generally accepted as an 'accurate' rendition. I was reflecting that it would be good if we had more choices of models here in Australia, as well as kit/component manufacturers. Let's hope that happens.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Last edited by Merv and Sharon; 01-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Interesting thread.

Can I ask, how many FFR cars are there in Aus ? How many owner / builders visit this forum? What is their experience?

I have a FFR Daytona coupe that I personally imported direct from the USA. It came as a complete kit but with an IRS option ($4k), Air cond option ($1.2K), high back seat option ($500) plus freight, customs, duty ,etc ($9k).

At the time the Aus$ was comparable to now and I managed to have it on my doorstep for less than the roadster is presently offered in Aus in its basic complete kit form. Despite virtually no price difference from the factory since then and the price differential between the coupe and roadster.

Yeah, I know that the extra cost of buying the car locally funds the distributors support network, etc, but I accepted the risk that I had to go it alone where others may not have. I did my homework and knew that there is a good forum that provides support for builders of FFR cars - FFR doesn’t appear to provide support so I can’t see the benefit in buying locally?

From the complete kit I knew I had to replace all the lights, replace the steering column (to incorporate steering lock), replace the steering rack, convert to RHD, replace the exhaust, put in proper seat mountings and seat belt points, etc. There are other things I have chosen to do that differ from the as supplied kit. I could have used some of the bits supplied but I would not have been happy to do so. Again, this was my choice and it has cost me accordingly.

I did not figure on having to strip the chassis, have it blasted, zinc’d, and recoated because the powder coat was falling off. I did not figure the brakes, although just OK and compliant, would need to be replaced to something that works more effectively. These were additional unforseen costs.

Regardless of base kit cost, I am sure as most on this forum can attest that the kit price compared to the finished price is a very different thing and that it will vary substantially from person to person and taste to taste and with that whatever mods are required to comply locally in each state.

If I had to purchase from a distributor when I knew I could purchase directly for less, why would you do it. – That’s just me. Others may have a different view.

Would I buy from outside Aus again,...... Probably, after doing the appropriate research and if it ment that I could get what I wanted at the appropriate cost base.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Merv, now I understand.
Tenrocca, FFR were going to build 100 "tribute" kits flopped from Dick Smith's original 1960's Cobra. This plan got shelved do to the state of the economy. That is the question that I'll probably never get a straight answer to, Why wasn't the MK4 flopped from an "original" or a "continuation" Shelby instead of redesigning the Titanic.
As far as the FFR MK4 kits coming to Australia I imagine the appropriate parts to meet our rules will be included from the build sheet. Each car is ordered with different options so the "pickers" will pack what is required from the build sheet.

Regards.