Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-24-2001, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Differentials

Can anyone tell me wether or not the BTR Hydratrack Diff as is commonly used in the HSV Commodores is the same as that used in the AU XRB Falcons or were the hydratracks exclusive only to HSV and GT FAlcons Is there any diff between these and the XR8 diffs I presume they are both 3.45 to 12 ratios ? ? ?

Adam

Adelaide
Old 09-24-2001, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Adam,

I believe the BTR rear end in the Falcon is a different animal from the Commadore IRS. When you say Hydratrack I assume you mean LSD? From my enquiries on the Ford BTR rear end it seems that most of the IRS diffs are LSD as well as most people who order the IRS order the LSD as well. I got my BTR Ford unit from a wrecker and I couldn't tell if it was a LSD or not as they only lock under power.

Unfortunately the Ford IRS rear ends aren't as common at the wreckers as the Commadore unit. It took a bit of ringing around before I found one.

Cheers

Old 09-24-2001, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default BTR Ford Diff

Hi Adam,

Hare are a couple of pics of the Ford IRS as droped out of the AU Falcon.

Cheers

Old 09-24-2001, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And another

Old 09-24-2001, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Diff Saga

Mike thanks for the reply on both posts. Yeh on the surface Ian's kits appear to be superbly engineered and good quality. i intend popping over thie in the next two moths to check them out and have a squiz. In relation to the diff what did you end up doing with rear and front sway bars and did you utilise the discs and callipers from the rear end or did you use Wilwoods on the rear as well. I assume you have used the hubs as well and the upper and lower control arms which attach to mounting points on the chaiss from this diff. Or are they all manufactured by Ian as well?
Old 09-25-2001, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The rear sway bar is an option on the Fords and my diff didn't have one. I can buy the whole rear swaybar set up new from Ford for under $300 so i might put it in. Ian makes a sway bar for the front that I'll probably use. It can be fitted later as the mounts are already there.

I'm using the standard Jag and Ford brakes for the moment I've just drilled and slotted some new Jag rotors (see the pic). I'll probably give the rears the same treatment. When the car's on the road and I can afford it I'll machine up some brackets for some lighter 4 pot calipers and bigger discs. The stock Jag 4 pot callipers are huge and should provide good braking performance in the meantime.

The standard Ford control arms are retained and bolt directly to the chassis with revised geometry. The cradle you see everything bolted to is not used (I gave mine back to the wrecker). I'm in the process of sandblasting and repainting everything at the moment. I'm painting all my suspension components a nice gun metal grey colour which will look good through the wheels and from underneath.

Cheers

Old 09-25-2001, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Diff and Hydratracks

Yeh, those rotors look impressive I spoke with ian today actually and he advised me that the casisngs are all the same its just whats inside thats different apparently the hydratrack unit is sealed inside the rear diff unit and does not use the conventional ring rears inside the XR8 diff. I cannot imaging there would be a huge amount of diffenrence anyway however Ian reckons the Hydratrack is slightly smoother. I did some research on the net and apparently the GT Falcon produced a couple of years ago had the Hydratrack diff. The new TE50 tickford cars dont seem to have it so I reckon if there using the same diff as you have got its speaks volumes for their quality. Re your sway bar you may probably get a much lighter aftermarket sway bar that bolts straight up I would think wouldnt you like a whiteline or similar for less than te genuine ford product?
Old 09-28-2001, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Adam,

I've been talking to a few people and they seem to think you don't realy need a rear swaybar on a Cobra if the coil overs are set up properly. I rang the suspension shop in South Melbourne asking for a price on an after market bar. They do all the alignments for Python and he didn't think I would need one with the rear end in mine. I can always fit one later if I find it does need it.

Cheers

Old 10-03-2001, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     

It may interest you to know that I recently replaced the 3.08:1 crown and pinion gears in my Commodore BTR LSD with a set of 3.45:1 gears for AU Falcons - dropped straight in.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Diffs

Dave, thanks for your reply. I presume you picked up a LSD BTR diff from a HSV vehicle from a wrecker did you. What did you pay and what did it cost you to replace the new gears and where did you get them from if you dont mindme asking. On another note are you happy with your classic revival? Do you have the new chasis that Ian has been making and what is the quality of your body like?. Any pics would also be appreciated you can send them to me at Serafini@bigblue.net.au if you dont want to post them in the open public forum. Thanks for your reply and your help would be much appreciated. Im almost ready to make a decision between the Classic and Robnell. Unfortunately there is about 7k difference between the bare chasis and bodies in both. There seems to be a lot in the Robnell though. Full laser cut spaceframe chasis with the tin work done, steel reinforced kevlar body which is now being vacum bagged which is supposed to look really mickey mouse from a quality point of view. It just hard to justify such a large price difference. What do you think?

Adam

Adelaide

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: