Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
So then it was beer time.

You have just gone up in my estimation Boxy.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Nice!

Dave

This is looking sensational. I am really enjoying watching this all go together. Your method of engine installation - from below with frame attached - is fascinating. Is this common in production vehicles?

I guess this will be a little easier that wiring up the LS in the Cobra!!

Not sure about Valliant power plants, but should there be a spacer plate or dust cover fitted between the engine and gearbox? Or is this something that will be fitted later?

Geof

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Old 01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hey there 1 F Geof,
Most production cars are assembled on the line this way, and in the Valiant factory it was called "the body drop" as the cars where lowered onto the front end, most factories lift the front end up from below.
It is a much easier way in production cars than dropping in from above then lifting the box into place.
Also less chance of scratching firewall.
And Valiant does not have a "sandwich plate"

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dave It's not looking good any more............... it's looking great

Harrison #100
Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Here is what I got upto yesterday (pic snapped this morning)

Lots of little stuff like cable connections, wiper motor in etc etc.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeez Dave, things must be crook in the Alice! Your cars parked in your garage and you've got a bloody ticket on the windscreen already !

Harrison #100
Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL, Nah just a note pad, I labeled every wire with a number, and write down where the number plugs in to.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

you must have the best job and a good missus, to get all the time you do, to do your own stuff ! I'm not married and work 12 hr shifts so I've got to do the domestic stuff too. I'm forever running out of time and each project takes forever.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Not yet!
Not Ranked     

Dave, I'm really enjoying your thread. You're doing a fantastic job!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

If you get rid of the dogs, I would almost go for a ride now Dave.

You know how big a statement that is!
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boxy do you think a little larger inlet off that air cleaner would help? maybe you could butcher another air cleaner and make a second inlet that points to the drivers side headlight? I know it's not original but would be original looking...
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is a big statement from you Gav.

I am pretty sure it will draw enough air through the factory single hole, if need be I have a chrome top plate that I can fit on instead and it can draw plenty of air then.
Also thinking of running a pipe from behind left hand headlight, pointing air filter snorkel toward that way (I have not painted housing or fitted sticker yet) and drawing air from infront of radiator.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This weekends progress.
Into it again on Friday night after seeing the dentist (sore tooth).
Picked these up on Friday arvo.

Reco steering box and pump.

I had been warned that fitting the box was a prick of a job.
Well that is an understatment, I had to remove teh R/H header, remove R/H engine mount and bracket, lower the K frame an inch (just enough to keep bolts in place), so with engine crane holding K frame in place, a ladder beside the car, I removed header and slipped the steering box in from underneath, well that was still no good, on a power steer car you need to cut a section of inner guard out (about the size of a fist), luckily the Charger I have had power steering so I took a template from it and cut a section as required.
Then refitted the box, all good this time.

That was enough for Friday night.

I had put together a shopping list so grabbed that stuff Saturday morning, got home and made a new end for power steering hose, fitted it and fitted the return hose.
Return hose.

Pressure hose.

Next was torsion bars and steering arms back in.
I have not adjusted the torsion bars yet.

Next was time to slip in the auto brake pedal setup and the colomn shift steering colomn.

Made a note that I needed a wiring schematic for ignition and neautral start switch (now have that)
Next was rebuilding the master cylinder, painting rocker covers and air filter with wrinkle paint, mounted the coil & module, made a kickdown bracket, fitted master cylinder and made/modified brake pipes.

It was still early (about 6pm) but thought an early night (to find wire schematics and rest feet) meant an early start.
Well that never happened, my tooth flared up and had no sleep, in too much pain on Sunday to do anything were I needed to think (so I did some house work).
Tooth has now been capped and filled so if not too sore tonight I hope to get wiring sorted.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-06-2012, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Well that was a sizeable weekend for you Dave, and doing the house work too!
Am enjoying the progress on George.
Good stuff
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Dave, hate to see how much you would have done without a bung tooth. Wow you are making great progress, I am really enjoying watching this. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing your work at ShelbyFest. Rgds Gregg
Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got a bit more done to George on Friday night and Sunday morning.
Friday night I stripped apart the old Hemi 6 alternator and replaced the front housing with a V8 one (different mounts), fitted it up and fitted the alternator and power steering belts.

Then it was time to boly in the battery tray, but I must have been a little heavy handed with the primer, as I had to recut the threads.

That was about it for Friday night, we had friends flying out on Saturday, so I had to fix the BBQ (has not been going since we moved in 6 years ago this Easter)
And then helped Ronda around the house.

The tourists did there own thing Sunday morning while Ronda was at work, so I was out in the shed.
I modified the engine bay wiring and converted to electronic ignition and modified to have a working neutral start switch, so in theory, George will now run both mechanically and electrically (still need to make a fuel pipe from pump to carby, fit radiator and auto trans cooler)
All wired up.

I got a call from my mate in Adelaide about 10am, my radiator was safely on the plane.
So I refitted the cluster, dash pad and steering wheel.

Then my mate turned up with radiator, so we celebrated its safe arrival with a beer.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-17-2012, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So Dave what can we expect after the weekend on George ?

Harrison #100
Old 02-17-2012, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hope to fire him up and break in the cam this weekend.
Just spent a few hours tonight checking bolts, fitting split pins, hoses & clamps, fitted A/C condensor and auxillary power steering cooler.
Fitted a deep pan on the auto to also aid in cooling, I will be picking up a pair of mufflers, a box of mandrel bends and a length of pipe to make my exhaust system as well (wont get it finished as the X pipe did not arrive in mail today).
Tomorrow morning I have to fit auto trans cooler pipes and connect to cooler, make pipe from fuel pump to carby (with inline filter), fit the radiator, modify selector to pass over the top of headers, bleed brakes and fill with oils.
I will probably have it all ready by late arvo tomorrow, but I have a mates car to service, so I will most likely do that Saturday night so I can play again Sunday and break him in.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-17-2012, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Be sure your oil has plenty of zinc in it ( assuming a flat tappet cam) for the break in -- at least 2500 ppm
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Dave don't know if you can get a show called Classic Resto's out there as its shown on community TV Ch.31 but the last show was all about MOPAR car show in US-Biggest meet in US. If you can't find it go to index and you might be able to down load it.
Rog

Harrison #100