Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SC 540
Not Ranked     
Default SC 540 Aircon

Hi all

I have just got my hands on the SC540 Cobra kit and will be starting the build shortly. I think I've got my head around most things but was hoping someone might have some info on fitting the air con. I have read the tunnel needs to be modified to fit the falcon heater/fan box as my BCU is pre aircon mod. Also where will the compressor need to be relocated as the steering shaft seems to be in the way.

If anyone can help out with this it will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old 11-27-2011, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I am assembling one for a mate, his has correct tunnel (I think), and DRB sell a compressor relocation kit, it moves the compressor assy backward on the block - uses a drive shaft assy to connect it.

The owner has or has yet to order a a/c kit.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hi Bigfish,
DRB make an air con kit to fit inside of the vehicle. It uses the fan and heater core from the falcon, they supply the evaparator and various other items to attach it to the falcon's dash.
DRB also supply a kit to relocate the compressor to miss the steering. Installation of the air con system is tight, but in the end it fits together and works.
The condensor bolts to to radiator the same as the falcon. You will need to purchase a filter drier and a water valve for the heater control.

Warren
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

Thanks for the info guys i was scratching my head with this one. I will get in touch with DRB and check it out. Has anyone fitted the aircon and if so any photos of the compressor relocation and under dash mods would be greatly appreciated.

Bigfish
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     

A couple of photos of the relocation kit
Old 11-30-2011, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

What number is your car....I think from number 28 on you can use the ford unit in the cockpit they modified the chassis to suit .....if its earlier than 28 you will have to buy the full kit off DRB ...either way you have to use the re location kit for the compressor
Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the photos Paul68. My car is number 9 I purchased it as a roller from BDM in QLD. It was a spare body sitting in his workshop gathering dust as he already owns the first registered SC 540.
I'm not sure how much room I have to play with in the tunnel and bulkhead area but i was thinking of doing a cut and shut to try and make it work. Does anyone have an idea of what was changed in this area to give me the clearance required?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

There would a fair bit of work modifying the tunnel and firewall. Even if you completed the mod I still think the motor would be too close to the firewall to attach the heater and air con pipe easily.
Although the DRB aircon is not as nice as the OEM due to the air control/ air mixing of the Falcon air box, it is intgrated and the air con, fan and heater are controlled from the dash.

Warren
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

Bigfish the top of the tunnel continues at the same height as where the shifter is...it doesnt rise as yours does ..also the middle piece of the firewall has gone forward approx 75mm....the 50 x 50 rhs that runs under the top from side to side has been shifted on top... drb sent me the revised changes and advised me not to do it...but im doing it anyway!!! if theyve made it work it can be done ...Im going to remove the aluminium sections then fit the motor and box and aircon unit and rebuild the aluminium to suit....
Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info AC-460 I hope it works out ok.
I'm thinking of fitting the blower in where the air filter is now located and making my own box out of fibreglass to try and house the rest of the system without cutting. I have already fabricated a front entry plenum top so the filter can be mounted in the front. If it still does'nt fit then its fun times with the welder and cutter.