Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Question T56 mods for LS7 Clutch kit

Warning: Boring Tech Post

Hi All,

Haven't posting much lately as I've had not much Cobra time lately. Family and work has been pretty busy. However one thing that may interest you is a T56 gearbox rebuild I've been doing for a bloke in NSW.

Apart from wanting it beefing it up and fixing the shift he bought an LS7 clutch kit from the US and it looks like there might be some compatibility issues with some gearboxes and this clutch kit. I've recommended the LS7 clutch kit myself as it seems to be a very good piece of OEM equipment at a good price. However it looks like you probably need to check a few measurements before buying one.

John bolted up his LS7 flywheel and clutch and measured the distance between the back of the block (Where the bell housing bolts to) and the tips of the fingers on the pressure plate. He got 108mm with a straight edge across it. I measured the distance from face of his bell housing to the face of the thrust bearing and got 90mm. This means that just bolting the thing together has already compressed the clutch diaphragm 18mm before you've even pressed the pedal. Probably not a good recipe for a healthy clutch operation. I believe there is some adjustment in the diaphram to compensate for clutch wear but not enough to deal with that 18mm.

I was looking at machining up a new housing for hydraulic throwout or a new thrust bearing carriage but there just didn't seem to be any easy way to do it. In the end since I had the gearbox apart for the rebuild I figured re-machine the boss where the slave bolts to would be the neatest option.

Here's the front plate of the box on the mill and I've started rough cutting to remove material from the hydraulic throw out mounting boss.

I've removed about 16mm of material and machined the boss square and flat. I can't really go any further down as I need to leave enough metal for the input shaft seal to seat against.

I've all but machined off the original bolt holes that hold the hydraulic throw out in place so have to drill and tap new ones. There's still plenty of material in the front plate to accommodate these.

There was a register ring machined into the outside of the boss that located the hydraulic throwout central to the input shaft. This had to be machined into the new location and required a bit of thought. I looked at mounting it on a face plate in the lathe but just didn't have enough clearance to turn it. In the end I used the rotary table on the mill and located it off the front bearing race. This will keep the register ring perfectly centered in relation to the input shaft.

The new register ring. I love machining aluminum.

The end result turned out pretty good and fits like a glove.

Give it all a good clean and it's time to reassemble.

We now have 106mm from the thrust bearing to the bell housing face. I think this should be OK once we mess with the clutch wear adjusters.

I will keep you posted how it runs once it goes back into the car.

Cheers

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, I have A "Ram" aluminium flywheel with standard GM LS7 clutch in front of my T56 gearbox. It all seemed to go together fine. Information I had at the time indicated there was a problem only if you used the standard LS7 flywheel. Having said that......I might just re-visit things ( again ! ).........just to be on the safe side. I can remember cooking more than one clutch years ago....when I thought things were near enough.

Muz - Beerwah
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i figured you would be OK muzza with an after market clutch. I just thought id point this issue out to anyone trying an LS7 clutch and flywheel kit.

Im running a yella terra light weight steel flywheel that only tips the scales at 7kg which is not much more than an aluminum one. The clutch is a Spec stage 3 unit which is a copper ceramic puck syle friction with a sprung center.

Cheers

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Mike
Go and buy a LS7 bellhousing they are 18mm longer!! I had the same problem when I bought my T56, Mal Wood stregthened my T56 for the LS7 but used a LS1 bellhousing and imput shaft. So when I rang him he was shocked!! So he sent me up a LS7 bellhousing and all bolted up fine, You may need to look at your spiggot bearing as the LS7 has a larger one installed in the first recess in the crank which is where most of the 18mm comes from so I had to remove it and fit a Holden V8 bronze spiggot to keep the imput shaft.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I wish I had room for a lathe and mill, that looks like great fun!

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 01-10-2012 at 12:17 AM..
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

great info thanks fellas. I have an LS7 clutch and flywheel for my build, along with a T56 from VZ, so I guess I'll need to do something like one of these suggestions!

Last edited by Modena; 01-10-2012 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: ah, thats a flywheel, not a firewall :-/
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Boring...

Real men have at least 40 clutches in their cars
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Alfie.

This bloke has a completed registered car. Changing the bell housing would be a tricky prospect. He has a square tube CR chassis and clearance is tight at the rear mount already. An 18mm longer bell housing would mean cutting the rear x member and a shorter drive shaft. Alternatively mod or move the front engine mounts forward but that would put the headers out of place.

The spiggot is not an issue as its an LS1 with a regular crank.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Gav, you like lots of clutches as you allways have your hand on it.

The clutch I mean

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Boring...

Real men have at least 40 clutches in their cars
Weren't most of your 40 clutches sitting in the bottom of your trans pan a while back?

Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

No, only half of them