Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Mass Flo Air cleaner clearance

Fellas,

All my goodies have arrived for my Mass Flo conversion and so far I'm just dummying up the setup. The issue here is how I'm going to fit an aircleaner on top of the new manifold given my constant problems with bonnet clearance.

The big oval Cobra cleaner would be nice but I don't think it will clear the bonnet or distributor.

There's a few pics here taken thru the scoop to estimate the amount of room that's available. The top of the dizzy is flush with the mounting surface on the new mass air meter. I've about 6cm clearance above the dizzy and around 8cm over the top of the MAF. Given that Mass flo recommend that there should be 75mm clearance from the seating flange on the MAF to the underside of the aircleaner lid. this is going to be tight.

Can you give me any aircleaner suggestions including the dimensions of the oval Cobra cleaner that might fit.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've realised the pics are the wrong size
A better look can be seen in my gallery thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Greg, as you know I have the exact same system. When Peter was installing it, the main problem with my oval air cleaner was clearance at the rear and it is now off-set about 1cm to the front. Also the clearance I have between the distributor cap and the air cleaner is minimal.

However, your problem is height. My air cleaner lies entirely within the scoop and clears the front entry of the scoop easily. From your photos you could be OK with that aspect, if you can get the height down? Can the engine mounts not be lowered (apols., for the stupid question)? If you need me to do some measurements to match yours I could take off the air cleaner and check.

BTW - the motor looks terrific.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv

Dropping the engine has been considered before when I was going to install the Trickflow manifold and it wouldn't fit. This just was going to open up a can of worms with drive shaft angles and numerous other things....just too much of a hassle!

I've reread the info from Massflo and just realised that the MAF fits inside the aircleaner (not under it) so that gives me more options. I need 3' from the throttle body to the top of the filter so looking at Summit's website there's probably quite a few that will be OK. I still think the giant oval one won't go though.

I'm going to just keep remeasuring......
Old 03-17-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

If you drop the engine that should not disturb the drive shaft angles - in the vertical plane and that could be easily compensated for...

Yes the MAF goes inside. The Summit filter that I got needed to be gutted and the MasFlo bits installed in replacement. Did MasFlow (Chris Richards) give you advice on how to alter the Summit filter to suit their system?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I must say Massflo have been challenging to deal with.........one of their sales staff in particular was most unhelpful. After I spat the dummy Chris intervened and things have improved a little.....still a long way short of good service and i see from others on the US forum this is not unusual

I'll try an email and ask for advice on the filter
Old 03-17-2012, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree Greg. Aside from Chris and one other guy - whose name escapes me - they were unhelpful-after purchase. Then I had to get an EEC from them. "No problemo!". Three weeks later, no show and it had gone to the 'Sunshine Coast' in Canada (UPS thinks 'international, yeah ...). So it comes back to MasFlo and they re-post and this time it goes to Canada again! Back it goes again to MF and then after more weeks it arrived here! I can't blame MF for that, but their responses to emails for enquiries about the chip, were deplorable. I called on Sykpe and got on to a guy there and all was well. Chris did give me specific instructions about the air filter. Did you buy a MF or Summit filter?

I wouldn't bother with the email.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

on my 342 stroker i ran my mass flo fuel injection with a chrome 11 inch k&n air cleaner and a 3 inch k&n air filter it had just enough room to drill a hole in the base to run the plug through the bottom then i used a cut gromet and filled it with clear silicone so no other air source would enter.

Last edited by wrench87; 03-17-2012 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: factory five mkIII roadster 445 fe quick fuel 750 q series,irs
Not Ranked     

i actually just pulled my engine on friday to make way for my new 445 fe, but here are some pictures of the air cleaner and t body off the car.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Merv, Sean is the "sales" guy, he should be the tea lady!

Anyway, I haven't ordered the aircleaner yet knowing that there'd be clearance issues, hence my questions.

Wrench has helped out here (thanks Mate)
I think the 3" high filter will fit Ok not sure yet about max diameter that I can fit in there. I'll dummy up some templates and see how I go. Still to get all the new fuel plumbing sorted and while I'm there I'll rehash the engine loom to neaten things up.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Since your just installing the system, let me recommend an alteration. Mass Flow uses all Ford stuff, except the MAF. The TFI module is mounted on the distributor, as Ford did on most models. There were lot of temp break down issues with the TFI, and I believe Ford lost a law suit on this.

I have fought the problem with my Cobra. The TFI only lasts about a year. When the engine is turned off all the header heat under the hood works it way to the scoop and exits. This funnels super high temps right past the TFI. If you start it back up in 20-40 minutes after shutting it off, it will miss-fire to beat the band.

I am now in the process of moving the TFI to a heat sink on the fender. Ford did this on Cougars and Aero Star vans. I just got a heat sink at my local junk yard for $10. If your interested let me know. I can send you some links to more information, or just Google Ford TFI Modual.

Last edited by olddog; 03-18-2012 at 04:59 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip Olddog, I've already replaced my TFI once and I was unaware of the major recall from Ford.

I'm rewiring under the hood so now's a good time to look into your suggestion. A link to relevant info on relocation would be great thanks........I couldn't find this specifically on google search
Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also Greg:

These two might help (especially the second):

2.25" Air Cleaner For Cobra

Factory Five Roadster Body Install Mass Flo Fuel Injection Photo 32

The only thing I used from the summit air cleaner was the top plate.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv
It looks like up to 12" in diameter and a 3" filter height will fit so both Moroso and K&N have one to fit. Either round 11" or 12" x 8" oval.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

if your not running an auto your better of spending money on aftermarket ecu
old ford igntiors and dizzys fail big time
half the **** goes and loom is half the size
only prob is getting passed thru engineer

does the massflo system need to be tuned or does it pass emissions straight away

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

This link should explain it.

Remote Mount TFI Ignition Module

Be aware that the shielding is fairly sophisticated. I decided to take my wire harness apart (just removing tape), so that I can re-route my harness to the new location on the fender-well. Then I will run new shielded wire from the distributor to the re-located TFI. Then I'll tape it back up and put it back into the wire loom (or what ever the plastic corrugated tubing with a slit in it is called).
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

with shielding u just have to remember to just earth the shielding on one end
thats y most std looms the shielding is earth to ground down near the ecu end
and not the other end where the sensor is
u never earth both ends cause then u get an earth loop and the noise goes round in the loop

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Greg

I have the 11"x8" oval filter set up (from Summit). It initially had a 2" filter but I soon replaced it with a 4" which just fitted under the bonnet. I was amazed at how much the curve in the bonnet would allow.

Your engine is probably in a slightly different position (as they all are) but if you want some measurements, let me know. Just looking at your photos, the 11"x 8"x 2" should fit just fine. My original setup with the 2" filter only had about 3/8" clearance between the top of the MAF setup and the top plate of the filter. Can you get a 3"?

Cheers

Geof
Old 03-20-2012, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Fellas

Geof
I've ordered an 11" round K & N form Summit, I'd have preferred the oval but they only offered the 2" or 4" element. Massflo specify that 3" is the minimum. I don't think 4" would fit.

Sideshow
Thanks for that, I was wondering about the shielding of the PIP wire as I'm chopping out the salt and pepper shakers and tidying up the whole loom. The aluminium shielding that's there is very thin and missing in places. Can I shorten this section from the ECU to the TFI by cutting a section out including the multstrand wire shielding? The wire terminates at the TFI end under some heatshrink and sticky black goop.

Do you recon relocating the TFI is the go?

I'll consider an aftermarket ecu another time, sticking to the eeciv for the moment.

the massflo system is plug n play, however they supply a remapped chip for the ecu. Mine's already got one of Pete's remapped chips added that he has successfully run on other massflo setups. My cars registered so no engineering dramas
Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Greg

The 11" round x 3" should look the goods! Will you have any trouble clearing the fuel rails?

What type of EEC IV are you running? A9L? Pete had indeed done a heap of these (A9Ls and others) and had plenty of success.

My massFlo setup was indeed plug and play. Ran on the first crank. ECU has tidied a few things up since then as well. Did you just get the MAF and connectors with the chip from massFlo?

Geof