Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default DRB 540 build

When I get back from my drive and settle back in at work, I will be starting the build on my mates 540.
I have grabbed a copy of the build manual (CD) that was supplied with his car, I thought the CR manual was lacking.
So any 540 builders, can you make yourself known and pm me an email address and contact number?
I reckon I will have a heap of questions and will be looking for anyone to help answer them.

As the build gets underway I will try to keep this thread active approx weekly, as I plan on spending Saturday mornings assembling it for him.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

love to see heaps of photos Boxhead. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of build photos on this forum.

You should see the build manual for my car. There isnt one! I can only imagine how much quicker it must be to have all holes, brackets, etc already done.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

I thought the instructions with the number photos provided on the CD were good. I think the instuctions are more to do with the photos than the written document.

Warren
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Yeah there are about 140 odd pictures, and I have not had a good look at the kit yet so it may all be self explanatory when I get into it.

There is mentioning and pictures of spacers being used, does the kit come with these or do I need to make?
Also the rear suspension bracket and shock mounts, are these supplied?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Probably best to give Peter a call at the factory and run through what you have and what you need.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All brackets and spacers that are required to mount the supension to the chassis are supplied. Front shockie mounts are supplied. Rear shockie mounts are off the doner car used. The builder needs to supply the following parts to finish the suspension - all bolts and nuts, rod ends(race series) for the front sway bar attachment to the suspension arm and aluminium flat bar for spacers for the sway bar attachmet to the chassis and for the rear top shockie mount.
There will sizes and deminsions for the aluminium spacers on the cd.

Warren
Old 09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers.
I am stopping by his w/shop this arvo to complete the "approval in Principal" paperwork for MVR, (all done bar engine number)
He told me he has ordered a power window kit.

Cruising in 5th

Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If he going to air condition the car tell him to fit while building the car. I had to pull the complete interior out including the dash and I can tell you retro fitting is possible, but it is pain in the bum. Would be much easier with no windscreen frame on the car and the foor and tunnel coverings not there.

Warren
Old 09-29-2010, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes he is fitting the a/c, I am pretty sure he said he has ordered a "kit" for it?
Does that use most of the donor stuff?
And is there directions for fitting?

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     

Boxhead i have sent you a pm.give me a call and you are welcome to look at mine on your way back to alice.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cheers Paul, I have your number and will call soon.
I will be back in Isa on my way home on Friday 15th October.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, The owner has had a call from MVR and from what he said all is approved to build, we are going to get his VIN number tomorrow and work commences on Saturday.

I have been advised by Wazza to fit the brake pipe work first (hard lines) Does anyone have a picture showing where the routing goes under the body?
I think it is mainly the rear ones (showing where to fit tab for flex pipe) I will need an idea on as I can see pics showing the front and I managed to take a pic of Paul's car in Isa showing its location at the front.
Pics of progress after Saturday.
Also any other DRB540 builders out there (posters or lurkers) can you pm me as I would like to get in touch to bounce ideas around.

Cheers again.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-03-2010, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
love to see heaps of photos Boxhead. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of build photos on this forum.

You should see the build manual for my car. There isnt one! I can only imagine how much quicker it must be to have all holes, brackets, etc already done.
Ha ha ha same here Liam. I rang Mike Moylan ( the original RMC builder) in WA and he said... "If you need instructions on how to build a car...You shouldn't be building a car ! " There were no 'construction guidelines'
Originally I wanted the instructions to see if I could improve on the build technique...didn't matter anyway. I'm building it my way.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default brake lines

Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default brake lines

couple of photos hope they help

Last edited by paul68; 11-03-2010 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: 2 photos same
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that Paul, much appreciated.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took the owner out to the MVR today, he now has approval paperwork and a Vin number.

Build starts in ernest on Saturday

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Work has started.

Started on the assembly today and checked out all the bits I have, I must say the kit comes with alot of brackets and plates that in my case I had to make during my Cobra buid.
After a quick look at the brake pipe routing options I have realised that this car is different to the one in the build manual (in relation to floor shape- which in turn changes how I need to route the pipes), in the following pic you can see the 2 options I have for routing.

In the above picture, the red line shows routing of brake pipes as per manual, in the manual the large square section chassis rail is not there, but the brake pipe routing follows where I have put the green line.
An option is to run it up inside the wheel arch (after cutting out a piece as per blue square) and follow the routing of the brown line.
The other option (my preferance) is to cut a piece out of the fill in panel between square chassis rail and floor.

In following picture you can see the filler panel between chassis rail and floor.

And follow the routing as per the green lines in first picture.
This then duplicates the routing as shown in the build CD

Can anyone see anything wrong with this thought?

After scratching around with that I made some templates for heatshields in the exhaust area's
All shields are made and I have riveted the L/H side in place.
This is the shielding for R/H side.

And here is the L/H side all in place.
Rear view.

And looking from the front.

And here it is on its home for the next few weekends.

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 11-05-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-06-2010, 03:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default brake lines

dave my early build cd shows the brake lines run like this hope this helps
Old 11-06-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Paul,

Your manual CD must be later than Chris's one.
How yours are in the pics is where I had wanted to run them, just not real sure how much room would be left with exhaust fitted.

Here is the most the picture from build CD I have that shows routing in this area.

The pipes appear to "cut through" where in Chris's car`there is a square section chassis rail over the top of the area that the pass through.

Cruising in 5th