Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Quality and finish looks terrific. The flare/lip on the rear is about the biggest I've seen - why was that necessary?
I'm hoping Craig might be able to chime in on this, but this is what I believe (I could easily be wrong!)......

As the Pace 427SC has it's own chassis, they've been able to build the body dimensionally correct to the specs of the original 427SC. If you have a look at CSX3034 below, you can see the arches are almost the same as the Pace. This means the Pace 427SC will be able to run deep dish, wide wheels that the rear guards will sit over, not on top of. Perhaps also, Pace are allowing owners the feature of trimming the flares back if they choose to?

Last edited by Paintwerks; 02-13-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The new body looks great. Looking forward to seeing the chassis.

The body dimensions have nothing to do with how the wheels sit in the rear guards. I bet my CR rear guards are dimensionally about the same as CSX3034 as it's mould also originated at some pont from an original shell. The CR also has the wheel arch lip which I believe is something the Comp cars got along with a larger front flare.

What makes the wheels sit right in the wheel arches with the right dish is the rear suspension design. As most cars use donor components they are often limited to some of the donors dimensions ie the rear track . Many shorten their rear ends which is easy enough if you have a live axle rear or a Jag rear. Some of the more modern double wishbone rear ends are more difficult to narrow to more original dimensions.

With a fair bit of work I managed to pull 4" out of the rear end width on my CR. I like the wheels tucked in under the guards but to do this they need offsets that don't have a lot of wheel dish.

Before:

After:

Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
As requested, here are some images of the Pace 427SC fibreglass/kevlar/carbon body. The black body is the prototype and the red one is the first production body. No ripples present anywhere!

Mine will be #3 and is in production!

Very nice... But....

How does one get in touch with Craig?
Tried email,landline,mobile,text!

To no avail!

Soul.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Never mind the body, I want the Snap-On tool box that the cardboard box under the body was wrapped around!

Seriously though, the close up shot of the reflection from the RHF guard on the black gelcoat body is AMAZING!!! I can't wait to see one in person.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ill 2nd that Craig!!!

Soul man pm me your moby and ill call him for ya. Maybe your on call-bar lol.

I spoke to him today so he's around, hectic with his shed move but I know he'll call ya.

Spookypt
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Seriously though, the close up shot of the reflection from the RHF guard on the black gelcoat body is AMAZING!!!
I reckon just buff the lines off and drive it in gelcoat.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Wow that is deluxe fibreglass......how much was the kit? Would love to see a few pics of the alloy chassis.........
Old 02-14-2013, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 registered Brushed Kirkham polished stripes, 427 FE kieth craft 482 efi.ss chassis and all the go gear .
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Ill 2nd that Craig!!!

Soul man pm me your moby and ill call him for ya. Maybe your on call-bar lol.

I spoke to him today so he's around, hectic with his shed move but I know he'll call ya.

Spookypt
I just want to buy a body off him,

Had a bit of BBQ under my bonnet in my glass car!

Soul.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulman View Post
I just want to buy a body off him,

Had a bit of BBQ under my bonnet in my glass car!

Soul.
Oh no!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Oh no!!!
I am hoping the Pace body is on par or better than the Arntz body.

Just need a price
Craig when your ready !

Soul.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
Wow that is deluxe fibreglass......how much was the kit? Would love to see a few pics of the alloy chassis.........
$29,995 buys you a rolling chassis (incl. body and hang-ons) with coilovers, differential, steering rack and all suspension components.

I realise this is more than other kits, but they're all new parts plus the body being as nice and straight as it is will probably save between 20-50 hours in 'repair' time. Given that I own a bodyshop, I'll be painting mine, but as Aussie Mike mentioned the body is likely nice enough to just polish up the gelcoat and drive it like that!

I have some pics of the chassis being constructed but I have been asked not to distribute them. Sorry. I can tell you that Craig and Co have spared no expense in making this chassis strong, lightweight and pretty. They've incorporated some design elements into the chassis not seen in other kits which help with the structural rigidity and crash worthiness.

All up, with an LS3 (as I am going with), the car will be between 950-980kg ready to drive. With the 525hp motor I'm installing, that will be mighty impressive!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

Quote:
$29,995 buys you a rolling chassis (incl. body and hang-ons) with coilovers, differential, steering rack and all suspension components.

I realise this is more than other kits, but they're all new parts plus the body being as nice and straight as it is will probably save between 20-50 hours in 'repair' time. Given that I own a bodyshop, I'll be painting mine, but as Aussie Mike mentioned the body is likely nice enough to just polish up the gelcoat and drive it like that!

I have some pics of the chassis being constructed but I have been asked not to distribute them. Sorry. I can tell you that Craig and Co have spared no expense in making this chassis strong, lightweight and pretty. They've incorporated some design elements into the chassis not seen in other kits which help with the structural rigidity and crash worthiness.

All up, with an LS3 (as I am going with), the car will be between 950-980kg ready to drive. With the 525hp motor I'm installing, that will be mighty impressive!
I have a LS3 in my Cobra. A great basis to start. I put a supercharger on mine with no other engine work and it goes extremely well.

Good luck with the build.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.L. View Post
I have a LS3 in my Cobra. A great basis to start. I put a supercharger on mine with no other engine work and it goes extremely well.

Good luck with the build.
Thanks TL.

I'd love to supercharge mine! My friend has a 2012 Clubsport that he supercharged. Recently made 360kw (482hp) at the wheels. He said that is mighty fast but that's in a 1760kg car, almost double what the Pace 427 will weigh. I wonder what 700hp (with supercharger) in a sub-1000kg car would feel like?
Old 02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the pics of the body. It may make choosing my Kit awhole lot easier???
I have an LS3 in my HSV with 400hp at the wheels, it's goes very nice, 700hp in a sub 1000kg car would be SICK!!!!!
Look forward to seeing future updates.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I wonder what 700hp (with supercharger) in a sub-1000kg car would feel like?
I'm going to go for... Bloody quick!

You boys are right about that gelcoat.
I've seen worse pain jobs!

Congrat again on your Pace kit.
Now do the right thing an put a ford in it!!!
haha
Old 02-14-2013, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
I'm going to go for... Bloody quick!

You boys are right about that gelcoat.
I've seen worse pain jobs!

Congrat again on your Pace kit.
Thanks! Can't wait to start building it.

Quote:
Now do the right thing an put a ford in it!!!
haha
However, if Shelby originally had his way and GM hadn't turned him down, the Cobra would have had a Chev motor in it. The way I see it, I'm sticking closer to the developer's original vision!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
However, if Shelby originally had his way and GM hadn't turned him down, the Cobra would have had a Chev motor in it. The way I see it, I'm sticking closer to the developer's original vision!
...and then they would never have won a thing, and the legend never born.
Particularly not LeMans with the brother GT40

Next thing you know - you'll be putting an auto in that thing....
Real men use 3 pedals!
Where's Gav!?

--

Disclaimer: Just taking the piss... In all seriousness the ls7 with carbon 8stack injection would be my current day choice for anything other than say a Kirkham.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hp

My 1st Cobra had about 250rwhp and it was super fun, heaps of grunt and for a super newbie more than enough to get me well in trouble.

My 2nd Cobra (re-invented No 1 had 315rwhp 8tb cams etc etc, was a little more challenging but with experiance from the 1st and some other improvements was still nicely balanced but I knew its fangs were ready to bite had I have gotten a little enthusiastic. (My first track experience with this car at the 06 Nats had me doing more spins (like a spew) than I care to remember. Tenrocca's bound to remind me though. )

My 3rd Cobra had 400rwhp (scotty will confirm) Turbo. Its first 2 years of "sorting" was just downright scary for me. Wide wheel track, front suspension issues, tyres, turbo lag it was just an absolute handful. Scotty's now got it going on song and its one of the quickest out there on any given day. But it wasn't that sweet a car when I was involved I can ssure you.
Many new undies purchased during this era.

My 4th Cobra...Well, as you see above the HP seems to be increasing and while not the most HP'd car out there...its even more challenging. I'm still along way from getting my head around it and wearing the paint off where the go pedal hits the firewall is still some time away.

I can honestly say the least HP car I had was the most enjoyable and rewarding to drive. You weren't trying to drive round or compensate for things like grip or breaking or tooooo much HP! It's all in the application.

I only said to my wife in hindsight last night that if I had my time again, knowing what I know now.... I would have never changed from my 1st unpainted, normally aspirated old rocket. Great for street and track and was simple.. Argh I miss those simple days!

Spookypt
Aussie Mike and d488y2 like this.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
I only said to my wife in hindsight last night that if I had my time again, knowing what I know now....

Spookypt
Fair go Spook. You're starting to sound like Stoney or some of those other old codgers. You can't be dipping your bread into a milky cuppa while sitting in front of the wireless in your cardy and slippers reminiscing over faint past glories like that!!

You're only a young bloke.....like me.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Age

Ha. yeah it did sound kinda old fogyish didn't it. I guess that I was just suggesting that the reality is, HP figures sound good, but its amazing how little you need to have fun and ENJOY what we do. Often the more HP makes it way less enjoyable and much more raggidy edge.

I was just "looking" today at maybe buying a Lotus Exige Rego'd Track Car so if I wanted to go for some fun around the track I can just get the keys, grab my kit bag and a few tools and just go fanging! Its a bloody mission currently and even if I'm ready all to go at my shed by the time I hook up and go it's at least 3 1/2 hours before I actually get to the track from my house..... Versus 50min direct. After 3 years on teh market I've pulled my hosue from sale so I'm not going anywhere fast. (House a few doors down was listed for $3.2mill and sold for $1.425) ARGH!

So "in hindsight" my old unpainted beautiful handling 240HP cobra rego'd would be just the trick for this. And its only taken me 8 years, 4 cobras and who kows how much in tow cars, trailers, $$'s etc etc to work that out!!!!!!

I guess I was young when I thought I was going the right direction with where I am at, but now older and a dad to be I have maturity and hindsight to help me see things more clearly.

Mind you to spend another $60k on another car just for "convenience" you'd have to wonder the logic and mentality to that statement!