Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree325Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Spent another couple hours in the shed last night, got all the timber floor out.
Pain in the backside that the frame is not set at 600mm centres.
Oddly the over axle frames are, so I will use that as my start point and work either way from that (I don't think adding a frame above the wheel would leave enough space in case of worst case bottoming out)

Tonight I hope to fit some new LED lights I bought, then I will zip into town on Australia Day and pressure wash the tray frame and engine bay area.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

https://www.facebook.com/toyota.aus/...4128727092021/

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Cool

Jeez mate you're the stuff of legends !

Harrison #100
Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Into it again yesterday, the A/C kit arrived on Wednesday, so after getting a service for a friend out of the way, it was back to the truck.
I fitted the tail lights and took the truck into town, pressure cleaned chassis and engine bay, i only hope i haven't induced leaks by removing the hard crud from engine.

Then after much thought I got stuck into the checker plate.
After measuring tray and checker plate, I figured out what I thought was best way to go.
I have also managed to knock a few degrees out of the banana bend in tray (as I was worried a lower car may not make the bend)
Turns out inside of tray is 2390 and a sheet is 2400.
So out came the plasma cutter.

Damn these sheets are heavy suckers, so glad I have the forklift.

The gap is 1090, so need to cut a sheet down.

In this pic, you can see the angle of banana, can also see when looking at side frame how much angle I took out.

This is with ramps to the ground, I will most likely be loading via the trailer for lower cars, but that ramp angle is the same as banana bend.
guye, Chris L, Wazza and 4 others like this.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Good job !
Looking at the motive force, I reckon a handy fell like yourself could knock up a set of extractors that would have to release a couple of dozen neddy's there !! It would have to be worth a shot, as it is a pretty basic exhaust maniford, then some water injection and you're away mate ! If you need a bit more go add some methanol to the water and look out !!

Harrison #100
Old 01-29-2017, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was an odd, but busy weekend.
Had a friend leaving town and we are storing there Caravan until March when they come back to collect it.
So I lost some time Saturday and early finish Saturday night for drinks.
Then help again on Sunday morning.
But all up I managed to get the tray floor finished and tack welded in.

So glad I have my little "Forky" those sheets are so heavy.

Extra bracing added, so I could fit full sheets.

Worked out well, leaving plenty of space around fuel filler.

Just a narrow strip across the very front to go.
I have a sheet that will cover most of it.

I then moved on to the compressor.
Not the best of pics, but its mounted and waiting on bigger bolts to grab today.
Adjuster is also fitted.
Aussie Mike and spookypt like this.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-30-2017, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the compressor and belt/tensioner buttoned up last night.

Also sorted out the remaining section of tray floor.
It is left over bits, but will all be covered by tool boxs and battery trays.

A bit more welding tonight then I can drop it into the auto electricians for the remainder A/C parts.
Aussie Mike, guye, stiffy and 2 others like this.

Cruising in 5th

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, It has been a while since an update.
I managed to get the truck all finished in time, sadly the banana bend was too much for Mildreds lowered running height, So Mildred ended up on the trailer (I will work on a way to fix this at some time).
Here is a picture all loaded up and ready to head off on 10 weeks leave.
[IMG][/IMG]

First stop was the little village Ronda and I bought a holiday house in.
Here is a picture of the outside and of the inside of garage (after I had emptied the garage).
House obviously needed a tidy up and garage needed new rafters.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have never done any carpentry type stuff on my own, I will say now that Bunnings videos and YouTube are fantastic.
So I had a crack at the garage first (I wanted to get Mildred out of the sun)
[IMG][/IMG]

Being pleased with the result I decided I needed a small table in the kitchen to sit Microwave and little cooker unit on (so I could free up the kitchen table).
The garage was full of timber decking so I drew up some plans and used the decking as the top and braces.
I was very pleased with the final product.
[IMG][/IMG]

Now it was time for the house.
I needed to replace window frames and under eave panels, I also wanted to add skirting around under the house so the dogs cant decide to hide under there when we visit again in August.
So at the end of the 4 weeks I was at the house, I did the above items and the house now looks like this.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the garage along side the house, the BBQ got a workout as it was my main cooking facility.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also replaced the toilet, fitted hot water system and painted the toilet and shower (both in garage).
I also added a fence to the front of the property, so now with any luck our dogs wont escape.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the little project and how i actually managed to do it (wood has never been my medium)
Next trip is 5 weeks in August/September and hope to paint all the inside and make a rear covered area (old one is falling apart) over the back door.

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 05-15-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Second part of my holiday was to assemble a RT40 1600S for a Facebook friend, he has been building the car since May 1997 and retired approx 2.5 years ago, sadly he had was found to have cancer soon after retiring and was treated for that, he was put on an experimental drug for blood clotting. he had an adverse affect to this and ended up having a stroke after beating the cancer.
When he had the stroke it sadly bought on Parkinsons fairly aggressively, and he was unable to complete the car before ending up in a care home.
I spoke with his wife last year and offered to assemble it 12 months ago, she declined and advised she would sort it out.
I visited in November last year and made the offer again, telling her I would be in Dubbo for Easter anyway so I can come and build the car.
She accepted this time so things where all put in place for me to have a few days before Easter then 2.5 weeks after to put the car together.
All the parts including many new items where all boxed and in the garage, but (again sadly) part of the Parkinsons was that Graeme would tinker and pull many parts apart, then put each item in a different location.
Knowing everything I need should be somewhere nearby the work started with gusto.
This is the car the day I arrived and pushed it out of the shed. (had to work outside as shed was very small)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And this is the car now.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The car now runs and drives, it is off to Sydney this week to have a new headlining fitted and a new exhaust made, all being done by fellow Shovel heads, then it is ready for club rego.
Helen has joined a local car club and they are all set to put it on plates and then enjoy the car with monthly club runs.

Graeme had amassed a very nice little collection of Coronas that no doubt where earmarked as retirement projects.
I bought a 1600S coupe from them back in April 2016 and was offered what is a very rare 2 door wagon.
I declined on the wagon as one of our groups members from USA was very keen to buy it, and he can do the car justice having been a previous winner with car of show at SEMA, his intentions are concourse resto (would not have let him buy it if modifying)
This is the wagon.
[IMG][/IMG]
Currently there is known to be 2 in Australia and 4 in Japan (Toyota museum does not even have one) and that is total known world wide numbers.
This one will be the only one known to exist in America.
Oddly enough there biggest market was PNG.

This is the coupe I purchased (one of about 6-8 known in Australia) coupe is common in USA but not in the 1600S model.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I have a fair bit happening at the moment so with any luck there should be rolling updates on next fun project starting soon.
The coupe is collecting parts for the next few years.

Cruising in 5th

Old 05-16-2017, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

bloody hell mate do you even stop for breakfast ..karma will come your way for all the good deeds you do for your mates well done bloke
Rog246 and renovationinnov like this.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wow, time flies and it has been almost 12 months.
Well I cant remember if I mentioned this car previously so here goes.
When I first moved to Alice, I heard stories of a Genuine Valiant Pacer Hardtop having been left out in the bush.
For a long time I chased the lead and always came up short.
Then about 7 or so years ago, an article appeared in Australian Muscle car magazine, it spoke of a Pacer out bush and had a picture attached.
[IMG][/IMG]

So I contacted the magazine asking them to forward my details to the photographer, many months later I got a call from a mate who said the picture was his, he gave me a mud map and advised which cattle station it was on, I spent the next 6-8 months ringing the station till I finally got a person, spoke with station owner and permission was given to check it out, and if wanted I could take it away.

So I organised to go and check it out, realised i wanted to bring it back and organised a second trip with some heavy duty recovery gear.
[IMG][/IMG]

After getting the car home it was a case of deciding what to do.
First thought was to re shell the car, if I did that then I thought I may as well slice the car and make a wall ornament from it.
I then started chasing "Patina'd" bits to make it look half decent.
Well then I saw some of the crazy cars at Red Centre Nats and thought "Why not get it driving and get a permit.
So that's what got me to where I am today.
The bits I had been collecting are now all going to be fitted to this shell and get her driving.
The car was moved into my shed on ANZAC day and the donor was also moved in.
I finally made a start late yesterday (public holiday in the NT)
Following pics give an idea of what I am playing with.

Here we see original bonnet & a couple of doors I sourced.
[IMG][/IMG]

Here we have correct numbers 1971 Pacer manual engine and gearbox.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, it has been in my yard a while, damn tree started to grow.
[IMG][/IMG]

Donor in its death bed.
[IMG][/IMG]

First time in a long time it has been under a roof.
[IMG][/IMG]

Correct Pacer cluster, Hub Caps, Steering wheel and column.
[IMG][/IMG]

They spent a couple of nights side by side while I did some work on a friends car, I also used this chance to turn the car around on the hoist.
[IMG][/IMG]

Left side genuine Pacer guard, I painted some standard eyebrows and blinker lenses to make them Pacer (flat black)
[IMG][/IMG]

Same deal on right side, but a non Pacer guard.
[IMG][/IMG]

Front stone tray in place.
[IMG][/IMG]

I am hoping work progresses steadily for the next few months, I do have a stalled Charger Project I am supposed to be doing before I leave Alice, but my paint and body man pulled out on me, currently seeing if I can find another.
letsboogie351 and gjkrv8 like this.

Cruising in 5th

Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i used a 2 door pacer in a demo derby once i paid 100 bucks for it and drove it home to strip it out ......oh if we only knew what it would be worth 30 yrs later .
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

boxhead,

This can't be a co-incidence....pulled out onto Portrush road just down from the Tollgate corner, and there was a truck cruising south with both a VG Pacer Hardtop and a shovel nose Corona loaded on the tray. Plates on the truck were "NT".

Surely, got to be yours, yes?

Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 12-20-2018 at 01:54 AM..
Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
boxhead,

This can't be a co-incidence....pulled out onto Portrush road just down from the Tollgate corner, and there was a truck cruising south with both a VG Pacer Hardtop and a shovel nose Corona loaded on the tray. Plates on the truck were "NT".

Surely, got to be yours, yes?

Cheers,
Glen
No coincidence. That would have been me returning to Adelaide to pick up some of my cars that I sent down on the train.

Cruising in 5th